Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Amazing Halfords customer service
  • skywalker
    Free Member

A friend of mine owns a 2010 Boardman Team FS, he has had it for almost 2 years now. A few days ago he found a cracked on the frame so he took it back to Halfords and they offered him a full replacement bike or a full refund. He chose the refund and purchased a nice shiny new 2011 Trek EX 8 in the sale. Almost two years riding for free, and a nice upgrade at the end of it. Result!

CHB

Excellent…try getting that out of Orange or Pace.

skywalker
    Free Member

Or anyone else!

althepal

Fair play to them.. Lack of knowledge though, or just poor (from their point of view) warranty policy?

skywalker
    Free Member

Lack of knowledge though, or just poor (from their point of view) warranty policy?

No, just bloody good customer service.

avdave2

So who did he buy the Trek from? If I’d had that from a shop I’d have stuck with them and gone for the replacement.

skywalker
    Free Member

From a local Trek dealer, I think he fancied a change.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

No, just bloody good customer service.

So who did he buy the Trek from? If I’d had that from a shop I’d have stuck with them and gone for the replacement.

From a local Trek dealer, I think he fancied a change.

😆 😀

Just proves how much good customer service is valued….

avdave2

Shame he couldn’t respond to outstanding service with loyalty.

skywalker
    Free Member

They had to warranty it no matter what, whether it had been just a frame or a whole bike. In this case they also offered him a full refund so he took it. It would be slightly strange getting a refund and buying another when they just offered him a replacement. Just because he got decent service doesn’t mean he should forever own a Boardman.

avdave2

skywalker was about to respond but then realised he’d left his girlfriend alone with his mate. 🙂

nmdbase
    Free Member

Don’t think so, his mate was servicing your girlfriend in the rear 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

hey had to warranty it no matter what, whether it had been just a frame or a whole bike. In this case they also offered him a full refund so he took it. It would be slightly strange getting a refund and buying another when they just offered him a replacement.

firstly, never heard of a cash refund being offered in such a situation before so halfords were either mad or generous in offering it, and second as avdave is possibly suggesting, I might have considered getting another (non Boardman) bike through Halfords given the exemplary service they provided him (out of confidence in their support as much as any moralistic sense of loyalty).

The fact your mate took the money and ran shows how little customer service is sometimes valued, and is interesting to read in the context of various recent threads on here (Hope, Orange and Nicolai all had their varying degrees of support and the effect that has on brand loyalty debated).

avdave2

Don’t think so, his mate was servicing your girlfriend

Saves me a job.

nmdbase
    Free Member

They don’t really do many brands though 😕

nmdbase
    Free Member

avdave2 – Member
    Don’t think so, his mate was servicing your girlfriend
    Saves me a job.

LOL, spat my tea everywhere then 🙂

skywalker
    Free Member

firstly, never heard of a cash refund being offered in such a situation before so halfords were either mad or generous in offering it, and second as avdave is possibly suggesting, I might have considered getting another (non Boardman) bike through Halfords given the exemplary service they provided him (out of confidence in their support as much as any moralistic sense of loyalty).

The fact your mate took the money and ran shows how little customer service is sometimes valued, and is interesting to read in the context of various recent threads on here (Hope, Orange and Nicolai all had their varying degrees of support and the effect that has on brand loyalty debated).

He already owned and broke the best bike they do, why would he want to buy a cheaper one when he can buy something else? Its not got anything to do with loyalty, more lack of choice. I’m sure if they stocked Trek he wouldn’t have hesitated to buy his EX8 off them.

spikyjames
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure Halfords will order in a fair few different brands if asked. I think you need to know exactley what you want though.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

Great service goes unrewarded shame, must be the only bike that has more than a one year warranty on the frame I thought most were 12months then it was down to the good will of the manufacturer.

Halfords can order in most makes a guy I work with has just had a Cube from them (via Evans).

nmdbase
    Free Member

Not unless it’s on cycle to work they don’t. FACT 8) None of their bikes have a one year warranty on the frame either.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I am sure Halfords can take the snub..

Its owners, CVC Capital Partners, allegedly has a net worth of some $46 billion.. with links to Citigroup… there’s bound to have been lots of norty ness in their shenanabang.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep about taking your money elsewhere.. fact is, a two year old bike shouldn’t break.

nmdbase
    Free Member

^ yay some-one with some sense!

skywalker
    Free Member

I love how people try and turn a positive experience into something negative. Nice try but you all failed miserably (except van cough cough)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Skywalker not criticising your mate just found people’s different attitudes interesting. The other threads suggest a lot if brand loyalty (possibly more aspirational brands than boardman!) Can be encouraged by good customer support, and similarly lost by negative experience regardless of how good the product had been.
    Not turning anything into a negative its called conversation!

Merry xmas!

vancoughcough
    Free Member

It is a positive experience, from a negative experience, but I wouldn’t lose any sleep about loyalty or lack therof to a huge private equity firm.

An offshore global mega private equity firm could never command the love that Hope and other British manufacturing companies deserve.

skywalker
    Free Member

It is a positive experience, from a negative experience, but I wouldn’t lose any sleep about loyalty to a huge private equity firm.

Thats probably what he was thinking when they offered him the cash 😉

aracer
    Free Member

So when the Trek breaks after 2 years, and they won’t even do a warranty replacement, how silly will he feel?

nmdbase
    Free Member

To conclude the conversation, most people on here are argumentative **** 😀

avdave2

I love how people try and turn a positive experience into something negative.

We didn’t your mate did, ruined the whole spirit of Christmas for me. 😉

We’re not really having a go at him it’s just that you didn’t seem to see the irony in you original post. Anyway whatever he’s decided at least you’ve come forward and told us all a positive story about Halfords.

hounslow
    Free Member

Halfords can order a shedload of different brands, and not just on C2W. You aren’t limited to what is instore, you will need to know exactly what you want though.

CHB

Wow, this is the first STW thread EVER sticking up for Halfords.
    For me the local halfords (Killingbeck) are a good bunch, soing a solid job. Hope if the evil venture capitalists read this they are convinced that having a good “returns” policy pays back in loyalty, even if not from the OP, most on here would.

nmdbase
    Free Member

hounslow – Member
    Halfords can order a shedload of different brands, and not just on C2W. You aren’t limited to what is instore, you will need to know exactly what you want though.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Not that many, I worked there for 15 years 😆

skywalker
    Free Member

So when the Trek breaks after 2 years, and they won’t even do a warranty replacement, how silly will he feel?

That won’t happen, Trek warranty is very good, speaking from experience.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Amazing Halfords customer service’ is closed to new replies.