Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • AM41 vs Freerider Elements
  • psychotext
    Free Member

Looking to pick up a pair of “poor weather” flats to get me through winter as my summer five tens aren’t providing an enjoyable experience and I’d rather not have to throw on the (uncomfortable IMHO) sealskins for every ride.

Anyone have any thoughts on Shimano’s AM41 vs Five Ten’s Freerider Elements (not the new VXi version)? I know that the AM41s aren’t technically for the cold / rain but I’ve heard that they work pretty well as long as you have a good pair of winter socks on. The Freerider Elements are supposedly designed for that purpose, but they’re currently about £20 more than the AM41s and I’m wondering if they’re worth the extra.

In horrific weather I’ll go with the sealskin option, so I’m not overly worried about full on waterproofing as much as for splashes / warmth.

matther01
    Free Member

Lots of vents on my AM41’s…but use electric tape to cover them on bad days and wear sealskinz on really bad days. I find them really grippy too.

Was going to buy a set of elements earlier this year but that non grippy bit of the sole put me off if i ever had to dab or push in muddy conditions.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

AMs are really nice shoes, quite weather/water resistant thanks to flap, with soles that get eaten at an alarming rate by the “wrong” pedal (eg. Easton flatboys, other STWers have reported similar).

tmb467
    Free Member

Elements are ok – still let in the odd bit of water through lace holes. I’m considering a cheap pair of gaiters from Go Outdoors to bridge any gaps between there and my waterproofs

Sole has NO grip in mud tho. Went on my arse the other day – means I try harder to ride now cos there’s more grip from my tyres.

Sizing seems ok on em as well

bspoked
    Free Member

Is that the VXi that have no grip in the mud, or the standard Freeriders?

sparkyrhino

on 2nd pair of am41’s,they keep most of the cack out very comfy on and off the bike,great grip on decent pedals.get a size bigger than your normal

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Better having perfect pedal grip than compromise so you can push a bit easier. Elements vxi are excellent.

psychotext
    Free Member

Winter is full on cross country time for me and there’s far too much hike a bike to live without compromise. That’s why I’ve discounted the VXi version.

tmb467
    Free Member

Standard, not VXi

Tho I imagine both are similar

FOG

Is this the moment to ask again if there are any flat shoes that have a reasonable amount of grip when walking? I and a mate have been through a fair range between us and we haven’t found any that let you walk up a hill that is too slippy to ride. I was just starting to look from the other angle e.g. A trainer/approach shoe that was grippy on the pedals.

rOcKeTdOg

ive got some vxi freeriders, awful to walk in mud in but stick to the pedals like the proverbial to a blanket,on rocky terrain like CyB they gripped the wet stones much better than i though they would given the “slick” part of the sole so much so i’ve tried to “unclip” a few times when getting off as they are as secure as clips. very waterproof, add a pair of goretex socks and your feet will stay dry

psychotext
    Free Member

I was just starting to look from the other angle e.g. A trainer/approach shoe that was grippy on the pedals.

I’ve not seen any recommended. I bet someone out there is doing this though.

pipiom
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Berghaus arctic walking boots sent them to “Feetfirst” and they put 5:10 soles on for £30 quid…. Worn em since Nov awesome!!! You could use any goretex or similar boots

Previous posts gave me the tip

bspoked
    Free Member

Grr. Was just about to click buy…

Ta

tmb467
    Free Member

To be honest – if you want grip in the mud, flat pedal shoes won’t cut it.

Mud will foul all the grips and they don’t clear easily.

As flat pedal shoes that keep my feet warm, the Elements do a good job though

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘AM41 vs Freerider Elements’ is closed to new replies.