Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AM40 v 5.10 impact
  • philfive
    Free Member

which are the best?

honest opinions are most welcome.

afrothunder88

Not used 5:10's but my AM40's are excellent so far.

Grip levels are immense, not lost a pedal yet in 6 outings. Most of the time I have to slightly lift the foot off to re-adjust position. Very comfortable and have the added bonus of being able to adjust sole stiffness with the insert. The inside ankle raised part offers protection, I used to knock it on the cranks several times a ride. Plus they're nearly £20 cheaper which swung it for me.

Hope that helps.

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

Just made the switch from 5.10 Impact's the AM40's. Had the 5.10's for a year of heavy use, very grippy, heavy and hot, good protection. Two of the loops that the laces thread through ripped out, hence the change.

The AM40's are narrower and seem to fit my feet better, little lighter, very grippy.

The 5.10's have soft rubber that the pedal pins bite into while the AM40's have a hard sole with lots of grooves that the pedal pins slot into. Both shoes require you to lift your foot to re-position it.

I_Ache
    Free Member

MP90's here I think they have the same sole as the AM40's sand ankle protection but they look better. And grip very well.

Not tried 5.10's but I dont like the look of them so I probably wont. If/when the soles on these eventually wear through I will probably get them resoled with 5.10 rubber.

philfive
    Free Member

well just bought some 5.10's and im looking forward to the ride just to give them a good crack.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I use both and reckon that the AM40's are best. You've bought the 5:10's already though I see but just in case anyone else is looking to buy! I found the 5:10's good too but I've found they don't wear as well. The AM40's are as grippy but lighter, better wearing and dry out a lot faster.

stevede
    Free Member

also own both and as silly as it sounds i found the five tens too grippy and impossible to reposition your feet if you needed to whereas the shimano shoes seem to have the perfect level of grip for me. As said above the five tens take ages to dry and weigh a ton when wet – i had the high version. Both look ugly but perform well, shimano's just that bit better for me.

Northwind

I didn't have Impacts, just Ba5ics, but the AM40 certainly beats the hell out of them. 5 10s in general don't seem designed for wet climates, that's what did for mine, they fell apart after winter. Generally they just didn't have the build quality they should have, at the price. Cardboard insoles which disolved, various stitching pulled, and the sticky layer of the sole came off the upper sole. Also the lining of the upper wore very fast.

Not saying I wouldn't buy another pair of 5 10s but my AM40s were cheaper, almost as sticky (and still stickier than I need), have the optional stiffness inserts, far better bad weather manners with the lace flap and generally water resistant material, and seem better put together. It's a total win.

As for looks, they both make you look like a mong so it's a nil nil draw.

big_scot_nanny

Just my AM40s as 5.10s, though good, were a bit too flexy and as others have stated they are terrible when wet and/or muddy. Take fookin ages to dry out meaning they now stink and are disintegrating. Lovely.

I find it a bit odd that MTB specific shoes would not have some way of containing the laces.

They were very comfy though, and provide ridiculous grip.

Will report on AM40s after a couple of rides.

Kev

big_scot_nanny

First ride report: nice! A lot less bulky so feel like I have more room on the pedals. and with cranks etc (5.10 impacts are very bulky).

Love the fact you have optional stiff inserts, which I used, and I really like the feel on the pedals.

they are also a fair bit narrower than 5.10 impacts, which in turn are of course rather wide. They are also do size smaller, I am normally a 46, 47 was just right, although still a little tight across the toe box but I guess that will ease.

Thought I would pitch in ASAP!

big_scot_nanny

Felt good again this morning, liking them. However worth mentioning that when I got back in the wife asks – 'New shoes? How was the golf?'

everyone's a comediene. 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘AM40 v 5.10 impact’ is closed to new replies.