Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AM Tyre volumes…Maxis Minions
  • Radioman

I recently bought some Maxis Minion 2.35 single ply folding Tyres for my Spec SX Trail AM bike, to replace its worn out Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35s.

I am shocked at their low volume when mounted on the wheel. Are they much smaller than high roller 2.35s?? Or Ardents?? The tread pattern looks great on the Minions but they seem more like 2.0s not 2.35s. I have a pair of Minion 2.7 double ply on my "DH" bike which are great.

Im worried i'll have to run the 2.35 Minions at very high pressures on rocky stuff due to their low volume.

Unfortunately Fat Albert 2.35s are no longer available….Now you have to buy a 2.25 or a 2.4 with a different tread pattern & compound. I heard the grip is not nearly as good as the old ones.

I wish tyre manufacturers could standardise the measurements. I remember all the "joke" sizes in the past from Continental. I didnt know Maxis do that too.

br
    Free Member

try NN 2.4's instead, huge volume

neilnevill
    Free Member

I agree its a pain. Some manaufacturers measure across the carcass (so relatedd to volume) others measure across the nobbles – which I guess is best for giving an idea of total size and what will fit between a bike's chain/seat stays and others like Conti seem to make it up (have you seen the difference between MK's in 2.4 and 2.2? 2.4 = Mahoosive, 2.2 is dinky!) Also the rim that the tyre is fitted to will alter the tyre shape and size, narrow rim = round shape, wider gives a more square shape, so the sizing can only be a guide…but it would help if there was some standard so we could compare tyres more accurately. I guess ideal would be a volume indication and a total size indication

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Radioman

Cheers. I agree . Even when you look at the tyres in the shop its hard to see the volume unless you have a tape measure!

All the manufacturers need do, is have a simple subjective measure for volume like "S, M, L". That combined with tread width would be fine.

They already use labels like XC/DH but that seems to just cover tyre strength/weight/tread as I guess they dont want to be liable for accidents.

Anyway i'll try the Minions out as I dont want to have to shell out again. The tread looks very good anyway.

coogan
    Free Member

I used to run 2.35 Minions and never got one puncture. Used them on everything, rocky, rooty, muddy, in Canada etc. Best tyres I've used, but draggy for everyday use as the were the super tacky versions.

Radioman

Good news Coogan. These are the 60a single ply folding ones. So they should roll well. They are certainly very light.

Im wondering if the volumes are smaller on the single ply folding "XC" ones?
    I think the double ply ones are the "DH" ones which are also available in 2.35s.

james
    Free Member

"Are they much smaller than high roller 2.35s?? Or Ardents?? "
    Same carcass as 2.35" High Rollers, which are only slightly bigger than a 2.1" Kenda (Nevegal). Along with Ignitors and LarsenTTs (both avail. in 2.35" are older tread designs

Ardents (Along with Advantages and Crossmarks) are newer treads and have much larger carcasses for the stated volume.
    A 2.25" Advantage/Ardent/Crossmark is about the same size volume as a 2.5" High Roller/Minion. (Both being slightly smaller than a 2.35" Kenda Nevegal for eg)

The volumes are the same for double (wire) and single (wire) ply (and (single) kevlar folding)

Radioman

Thanks for that James..v.good info

chunkypaul
    Free Member

try the big betty's as a replacement of the fat alberts, the 2.4's come up at around 60-62mm wide

one tip is to ignore the 2.1"/2.3" measurement and instead check the dimensions that are stamped on the rubber sidewalls, for example many 2.35 maxxis tyres are listed as 52mm on the side of their carcass

D0NK

Agree they should have a proper standard ie measure all on one rim size (17mm?) and have carcass width vs tread width. I think wtb do have 48/52 (mm) style sizes dunno who else.

Alternatlivley check here shiggy tells you how it is 🙂

Oh and I use a minion 2.35 ST on my heckler, excellent tyre thinner than I usually like but so grippy I won't change it. (bigger tyre on the back tho)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘AM Tyre volumes…Maxis Minions’ is closed to new replies.