Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Am the only 26 inch wheel rider left?
  • chiefgrooveguru

I’m considering a move to 20″ for my off-road but brief and jumpy commute…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

No. You are not the only 26 inch wheel rider left…
    Although I would love a Kona 29 to add to my collection of 2 mtbs, 1 road bike, 2 bmx cruisers, surfboard , 1 longboard ,1 bodyboard, snowboard, 3 skateboards, frisbees, footballs, rugby ball, Nerf, airobee, boomerang, radio control car, rower, guitar, bass guitar, weber bbq… hand tools, power tools, cordless drill, gardening tools. COFFEE MACHINE (my favourite thing apart from wife and two kids who all have own bikes).

I can’t believe you listed Frisbees in there.

chriscandler
    Free Member

Thanks small but not alone

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chiefgrooveguru

The stats for the 500-odd riders we’ve had come and stay with us over the last few years are as follows:
    26″ – 99.8%
    29″ – 0.02%

Were the remaining 0.18% on 650b (stupid stupid stupid size), cruisers and BMXs? 😉

m1kea
    Free Member

29″? Err yeah I’m running four road bikes with the aforementioned 29″ / 700c wheels.

26? Just brought a 3rd MTB. Really couldn’t see the logic of not being able to swap wheels around

ononeorange

No intentions of making my wheels heavier in the near future – so no, you’re not.

2hottie
    Free Member

I popped into the local bike shop (here in Oz) for a quick look round. Ended up having a friendly debate with the lad in the shop about 29er’s he even got one off the rack for me to look at. All it did was add to my argument that they look “wrong” and as I’m only 5’8″ it would be pointless. He was convinced that they are indeed better and told me that everyone at the local xc race was using 29er’s. I then pointed out that I don’t race which simply didn’t compute in his mind.

He did tell me that he came from a road back ground and had only been MTBing for a couple of years.

They might work for taller folks but I doubt I’ll enjoy it. Didn’t the guy at HTN win on a 26er this year?

Dibbs
    Free Member

My LBS staff have been to the ATB sales previews this week (Marin Whyte,Wilier) and they all seem to be going for 29ers in a big way next year. When the shop staff point out that there’s no demand for 29ers from the general public it just falls on deaf ears. Whyte have alreay admitted that they’ve had to compromise their suspension design to fit in the larger wheel.

LMT
    Free Member

Nope ive just ordered a new bike and its only got 26″ wheels, i wanted a speshi camber so thought would wait until 2013 but next years models are 29er only, so i ordered a Camber Expert in the early sales, £1800 for a well equiped 26″ wheeled bike, while the basic 29er comes in at £2k? i know i got a better deal than most, plus being 5ft5 ish doubt even the smallest frame will give me any standover.

I did try a Gary Fisher superfly i think it was, great bike but no clearance if i had a crash would have to tell the oh no kids!!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve just been out with my pal Rob, on our 26ers, i can confirm that i enjoyed it.

there’s life in the old girl yet.

i wanted a spesh camber … £1800 for a well equiped 26″ wheeled bike, while the basic 29er comes in at £2k? …

specialized lanky tax innit.

(i had a go on a camber 29er, it was great, i want one, but it was nearly twice the price as a similarly specced 26er – they can get bent)

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Am the only 26 inch wheel rider left?’ is closed to new replies.