Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Am the only 26 inch wheel rider left?
  • chriscandler
    Free Member

I read ’26” is dead’ and so on.Magazines speak of nowt else. Only a short time ago I purchased an expensive high spec bike. It seems great still but am I out of fashion. Should I go out in disquise or after dark. Will I be mocked. I cannot afford to replace it with the same spec wonder 29incher. Tough it out or take up flower arranging?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

650b is where the big marketing drive the future lies for next year.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yes its dead and riders like you will be put in Camps till you die. Same goes for people who ride road bikes without disc brakes.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Stick with it. Once everyone has a 29er I’m sure the mags will decide 26 is where it’s at.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Do you still like your bike?

Just tippex 650b onto your tyres. No one will know the difference and you can be down with the kids.

argoose
    Free Member

Stick with the 26.
    Don’t be a fashion victim.

singlespeedstu

Ride whatever wheel size or style of bike you want.
    No one else gives a ****. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

should be some 26″ bargains about end of this year and next, 26″ will live on in supermarkets and catalogues though

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

No one else gives a ****

Apart from it seems people with small ahem wheels. 😆

emac65
    Free Member

Me !Bought a 29er over 3 years ago to make into a MTB for the road,but one that I could use off road as well should the need arise.Never really got the whole it rides smoother blah blah ‘kin blah that’s spouted about them.Did the 2011 Dyfi on it SS & rigid,which just convinced me I didn’t really like it for MTBing.I’ve still got it but haven’t used it for over 12 mths,mainly because I prefer proper MTB sized wheels…..

steezysix
    Free Member

I’s not the size, it’s what you do with it that counts. Or so I’ve heard…

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I just bought a second hand 26″ race bike. Weighs 20lbs. For the same money I could have bought a new 28lbs 29er. I’ll take my chances.
    Also I like zipping around like a broken firework; don’t care if it’s slower, it’s more fun.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

having come back from a week in verbier on a 27.2mm seatposted, 1 1/8th constant diameter steerered, 9 speed, 26″ bike, I’m surprised I am still alive.

Changes in standards are made to drive consumerism, magazines buy into the BS as its consumerism that drives their business, see how many articles and “tests” are regurgitated press releases.

Give it 5 years and 29 and 650b will be deemed too big for technical riding, and theyll come up with 25″ as being the best wheel size, obviously, stupid.

Wookster

I too have a 26″ bike……but it’s got bars on it that are less than 700mm……. 🙄

I admitted this in smiths and they wouldn’t let me buy WMB……I just say its retro……but still in my soul I know it’s laterally stiff and vertically compliant…..

singlespeedstu

Give it 5 years and 29,26 and 650b will be deemed too big for technical riding

You could be right in five years time we’ll all be on MBR aproved hoverbikes. 🙂

ton

owned 10 x 29ers, now back on a 26” 456. it is still fun.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You could be right in five years time we’ll all be on MBR aproved hoverbikes.

Pffft.

Have you seen what that bearded guy in the shed that no one else has heard of is making?

Hoverbikes are so over.

olddog

I’ve ridden a 29er xc orientated hardtail for about 4 years and just got a 26″ full suss all mountain bike. Both are fantastic much as most good quality bikes are, whatever the diameter of the wheels

singlespeedstu

Pffft.

Have you seen what that bearded guy in the shed that no one else has heard of is making?

Have I seen what he’s making?
    I already own it. 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Puts own version up for sale immediately now that it’s such a commonplace bit of tat”

😉

Vortexracing

Being 5ft 4″ I think I will be on 26″ wheels for bit yet,

Although this keeps drawing me to it

singlespeedstu

Puts own version up for sale immediately now that it’s such a commonplace bit of tat

It became common tat when they put the Specialized sticker on the downtube. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

spando
    Free Member

29 = Boring 26 = Fun, simples

29 if you ride boring tails and need more speed to make them fun.
    26 if you shred everything

650b if you like to sit on the fence

I’m waiting for all the lovely 26 bargains 8)

Anyway I’m having too much fun to even notice what wheels i’m on, never mind what others are doing 😉

imnotverygood

I can smell the fear on this thread 😈

epo-aholic
    Free Member

nope, me too…..still very few 29er’s being raced up here in Scotland. I’ve had a couple and really like them but i’m a bit of a short-arse so doubt i’d ever race one here

Kryton57

It is, apparantly, not about the bike.

kayak23

29″ doesn’t seem to be having any effect on the DH end of the scale(as far as I have seen anyway) and that I guess is the end of the scale I come from.

Seemingly, the more xc end is where the 29’ers are coming in. I see no reason to go 29″ at all, the wheels have to be a little weaker right?

Mind you, even Dirt has been full of them lately….
    que sera sera innit 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My 26″ wheeled bikes will last for several more years. When they die I’ll replace them with whatever is the common “standard” at the time.

bigad40
    Free Member

No. You are not the only 26 inch wheel rider left…
    Although I would love a Kona 29 to add to my collection of 2 mtbs, 1 road bike, 2 bmx cruisers, surfboard , 1 longboard ,1 bodyboard, snowboard, 3 skateboards, frisbees, footballs, rugby ball, Nerf, airobee, boomerang, radio control car, rower, guitar, bass guitar, weber bbq… hand tools, power tools, cordless drill, gardening tools. COFFEE MACHINE (my favourite thing apart from wife and two kids who all have own bikes).
    Now if only could use all those things at the same time.

LIFE’S TOO SHORT! JUST RIDE!

honourablegeorge

Far from it. I demoed a Niner when I was buying a hardtail not long ago, liked it, but found it a bit of a gate in corners, and didn’t feel I could throw it around how I wanted. Ended up with a Soul, zero regrets.

29ers have their place, and it’ll be intersting to see how they progress, but in the main, their place isn’t where I want to be.

The 650b all mountain bikes that are starting to appear are intersting.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

The way I understand it is;

Man buys 26″AM super-build for awesomeness.

Sells 26″AM super-build for 29″ awesomeness.

Man sells 29″AM super-build for 650b awesomeness.

Chris buys 26″AM awesomeness for himself.
    Chris buys 29″AM awesomeness for Mrs.C.

Both fly past man on 650b while he reads the “next-big-thing” article.

Everyone get’s old and dies on 26″.

Ride the fekin bike, whogivesashit.

mjsmke

I still ride 26″ AKA a Mountain Bike. 29er = Cyclo Cross wannabe.

To me 29ers just look silly unless your 6ft2 and need a big frame. Im only 5ft5 so it would look ridiculous.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nope there were at least 4 others that I saw riding around on 26″ bikes at Woburn this evening! I’ll continue to ride it until I have no other choice. I don’t like the look of 29ers and 26″ already feels huge and sloppy after riding a bmx! I think I’ve only actually ever seen a 29er in person once, but I haven’t been to a trail centre on a busy day for ages.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not sure ad tbh who cares.

I have a house full of 26″ bikes all seem to work very well. But as said above it’s not what you got it’s what you do with it.

If 29’s are that much better then I must be better^2 when I overtake them

globalti
    Free Member

My 26″ hardtail still has THUMBSHIFTERS, little tiny Suntour XC Pros.

They’re fantastic and they weigh nothing.

rewski
    Free Member

If you care that much you really should be riding on the road, head to toe in Rapha and waxing your handlebar moustache 😉

I suggest you quit worrying about it and go and get muddy, 26 are quicker to clean.

ssjeff
    Free Member

Nice to see the haterz still hating.
    Things change, there’s no need to be afraid. 😉

stevomcd
    Free Member

The stats for the 500-odd riders we’ve had come and stay with us over the last few years are as follows:

26″ – 99.8%
    29″ – 0.02%

The one 29er was an Australian guy who lugged it all the way over. Not sure he was loving it in the switchbacks…

oldfart

Yay !!! Seems i’m still in the gang HURRAH ! Though the fact that Kona are doing another batch of Rajin Ti 29ers for 2013 is chewing away at my moral fibre 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Am the only 26 inch wheel rider left?’ is closed to new replies.