Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Am sure people are losing the plot on the "for sale" forum
  • squiff
    Free Member

Your neither greedy

not compared prices to CRC, wiggle or merlin etc

Taking the pi$$$$

Basically some people haven’t a clue when trying to sell there gear on what price to sell it at.

Stuey01
    Free Member

So don’t buy it.

martinxyz
    Free Member

The prices shown are what folk are looking for.If you dont like it,risk buying it from the supermarket.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Your neither greedy

not compared prices to CRC, wiggle or merlin etc

The more I read this the less it makes sense!

meehaja
    Free Member

I read it as,

You are either greedy,

or not compared prices on other sites,

or extracting the urine..

yeah, I’m with you.

mattyboy24
    Free Member

i am currently trying to sell my ST4 for £1100 and have had no interest so god know how they are selling stuff for loads of money!!!!

glynP
    Free Member

What I hate are all the replys to your adds who demand pictures but never take it any further, or they say “Dibs” and then a week later say no thanks mate I’ve changed my mind.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’ll be worth what the market will bear. If you don’t like the price, don’t buy. If everyone doesn’t like the price, it’ll have to drop to sell.

Its called market forces. I really don’t understand the need to whinge about it because the price doesn’t meet ones expectations.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I guess the obvious option here is to go to CRC/wiggle/merlin then.

I’d say it’s not really worth getting annoyed about in the great scheme of things.

loddrik
    Free Member

I do chuckle when people come on trying to sell bikes for nearly 3k…

oldgit
    Free Member

I know what you mean. I’ve just posted about a budget build. At first I trawled the ads and some stuff was way over new prices. I must say STW ads are the most grounded though.
    Common ones I found were used cassettes, Brooks and chainsets dearer than new.

IA

What I hate are all the replys to your adds who demand pictures but never take it any further

What I hate are all the ads that don’t show pictures, even though everyone will want to see them… 😉

specializedneeds

Exactly!! LOL

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

What I hate are all the ads that don’t show pictures, even though everyone will want to see them…

+1

I like to see a picture for 2 reasons:
    1, Condition, size, colour, actual part etc.
    2, Seller has some way of showing he HAS / OWNS the item for sale; very easy to say I have these brand new XTR cranks for sale for £100 (even with a catalog shot) and be fleecing money!

colande
    Free Member

ah im glad this thread came along as i needed somewhere to share this ebay listing,
    broken aluminium bike frame with chain

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What I hate are all the replys to your adds who demand pictures but never take it any further

Post up bleeding pics then!, it’s not difficult. 😉

glynP
    Free Member

It is for a numpty like me 🙂

D0NK

Maybe a good aluminium welder could put what once was a beautiful aluminium frame back to being a bike in some shape or form

[url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/broken-aluminium-bike-frame-chain-/130498627377?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e62530731#ht_500wt_935]I’m pretty sure jesus (or deity of your choice) couldn’t resurrect that thing.[/url]
    Back to the OP, if you think it’s too much offer what you think and/or walk away.

bedmaker

That ebayer is selling himself short, there’s two mechs and a headset on that frame too.

To OP, if I’m selling something thats worth a bit and I’m not in a hurry, I’ll start high and gradually drop the price if there’s not buyer out there. Really bugs me when people trawl the classifieds dishing out ‘advice’ for the seller.
    Make an offer or move on. Seems simple enough to me.

Prime example, a while back I was selling a Litespeed frame on here. Loads of people replying to my ad with stuff like “£700 for a 5 year old frame, forget it m8 u cn get a new Poopdream for that!!!”

Sold it for £680 a few weeks later.

Jamie
    Free Member

mattyboy24:

i am currently trying to sell my ST4 for £1100 and have had no interest so god know how they are selling stuff for loads of money!!!!

Split it mate. I put my Dialled Prince Albert up as a full bike for £850 with no takers. Ended up splitting it and selling on here, ebay, pinkbike and bikeradar. Slightly more hassle, but made more cash, even after postage costs.

At the end of the day, most on here are technically adept to build/upgrade their own bikes so usually only want the odd part.

Speshpaul

“broken aluminium bike frame with chain “
    What were you searching for to find that!!

Prices are a bit odd on here at the mo, i’ll always post hi as you can lower the price, but some pricing seems a bit random.

But hey oh, you can always not buy it:-)

takisawa2

I see theres another ad with tons of stuff marked as “(sold)”.
    Why not just delete the bloody stuff thats gone. 😐

Its wasting the internets it is. Wasting it.

hora
    Free Member

Bikeradar pull any ads that don’t have pictures enclosed.

Partly (probably) due to scammers selling kit they actually don’t have but also you can’t buy blind.

Saying that- some people on here will buy something within seconds of the item being posted up. Says to me these people really are gamblers.

Shandy
    Free Member

Money is getting tighter for a lot of people. Pricing things low just encourages traders to contact you. Pricing low encourages pointless emails trying to low-ball you further. If I want to sell stuff cheap I do it on a local forum where I know it is going to somebody who will use it themselves.

smell_it
    Free Member

Most times I click on the classifieds I just get the feeling of deja vu, most of the ad’s have been up so many times. I can’t blame the sellers for wanting top dollar, but it has put me off, and i no longer bother and just head to the on line retailers.

Jamie
    Free Member

Most times I click on the classifieds I just get the feeling of deja vu, most of the ad’s have been up so many times.

I must admit I was guilty of this recently. But every time I reposted I dropped the prices. It’s when the same price is put up again and again you have to wonder.

…but sometimes it does pay off I guess.

hora
    Free Member

What I REALLY don’t get is the old saddle £3, old knee pads £4.50 etc etc.

I am all for avoiding waste and throwing away kit but just how bored must you be that you are willing to go into the shed, catalogue, photograph and post off old kit?

slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve bought loads off the STW classified and never had a problem. However, I only buy stuff from people who are selling at a decent price, have included postage in the cost and (in most cases) posted up pictures of the goods. Anything else is too much trouble as a buyer.

Some people do take the pi$$ trying to sell worn components and scruffy clothes, etc, as well as asking stupid amounts for their tat.

One question though, in some ridiculously priced offerings I’m often tempted to post a link to a website that’s offering the same goods brand new, post free and cheaper. Would that be acceptable forum behaviour?

Wozza
    Free Member

I think the classifieds is great. I remember when you had to pay full whack for parts and take a gamble that it was what you wanted. This way, if it’s not for me I can get a few quid back out of it and try something else.

I do agree that some prices people ask for are daft high and what’s the point of posting an ad without pictures? If you can’t do that you shouldn’t be on the internet.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve said this before. I’ve bought three forks off of STW that I was ripped off over. Two I returned and the last (Lyriks) I was shafted over but the seller gave me 50quid back to ‘keep quiet’.

What annoyed me was the ‘doesn’t need a service’ just before the forks clean up well when infact its blatantly obvious they bloody do.

Oh and then the other STW who sold me a 454 when in reality they were 426. Or does the 454’s now come with a steel steerer? 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

Must just be you Hora. Probably not asking the right questions 8)

One question though, in some ridiculously priced offerings I’m often tempted to post a link to a website that’s offering the same goods brand new, post free and cheaper. Would that be acceptable forum behaviour?

Nah. Will just end in a bun fight.

rOcKeTdOg

i’ve got 3 frames to sell but can’t be arsed to take pictures or put up an ad, too busy riding

Jamie
    Free Member

i’ve got 3 frames to sell but can’t be arsed to take pictures or put up an ad, too busy riding

…and yet you have time to take pictures of the other 99.9% of things in the world.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m riding those though, the for sale stuff is in storage, thanks for noticing though

pastcaring
    Free Member

i’ve brought and sold a few bits on the classifieds, never had any problems.

i work to this buying and selling.

new never used= half of retail + 10/15%
    last years model= half of retail
    2 year old= half of retail – 10/15%

obviously there are exceptions, rare or hard to get bits go for a little more.

but there are plenty of tyre kickers and low ballers on here! as well as sellers with unrealistic prices!

Paceman
    Free Member

Stuff will sell for what it’s worth based on market demand. If it doesn’t sell it’s too expensive, poorly advertised, or not what people want.

I’d say sellers are free to ask whatever price they would like, but agree photos should be included.

aP
    Free Member

I wouldn’t sell anything on here because I just can’t be bothered with the petty flaming and grumbling.
    I’d much rather give it away.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

how much would you value a 1996 17″ kona hei hei with full xt f80 fork and mavic sunset xt/hope wheelset?

to the right person it could be £….

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I see theres another ad with tons of stuff marked as “(sold)”.
    Why not just delete the bloody stuff thats gone.

I’ll tell you my rationale behind doing this: there’s no kind of feedback system on the classifieds, so I’ll often make a point of leaving a record of items that I’ve sold. Ads can drop quite quickly off the front page, sometimes with just one or two items out of a few having been sold. As I buyer, I quite like to see some kind of sale history; and a thread full of replies and sales can be helpful.

hora
    Free Member

Thomson Stem used £37 posted.

I can buy a brand new one for £55 and have it next day!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Am sure people are losing the plot on the "for sale" forum’ is closed to new replies.