Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Am mad….. what should I do?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Just found out that a roofing company has just slapped a load of dark wood stain all over a 12 month old set of Iroko hardwood french doors.

We spent extra having Iroko doors as they would not need treating and we specifically wanted them to weather to a nice silver colour – this is now not going to happen.

Wife is very upset and I am incredibly angry about this. The company have put their hands up and admitted it was a mistake – they want to draw a line under the matter and have asked what I want from them.

Is it going too far to ask for a new set of doors to be paid for or should I just suck it up and move on?

kendo954
    Free Member

id be wanting the new doors…. their **** up, your doors arnt what you want now?

iolo
    Free Member

There’s no need to be upset or angry.
    Just get them to give you new doors.
    As long as you never gave them an instruction to carry out this works it should not be a problem.
    Shouting and playing the big I am never works and the roofing company will tell you to piss off.
    Speak to them reasonably and it will all be fine.
    Tell mrs sharkbait there are much worse things in the world.

EDIT: Do not pay anything towards these doors and make sure you get like for like fitted by a quality carpenter,

JAG

Yeah…

Reasonable resolution would be new doors or they remove your current doors and refurbish to ‘as-new’

I’d want new doors – to avoid the risk of them completely f#cking up the re-furb’

jambalaya
    Free Member

New Doors.

Many options, eg;

They may wish to do you a deal on the roofing contract and you get the doors replaced.
    They may well have insurance which will cover this
    They can take the old doors away and use them for something so mitigating the cost.

midlifecrashes

New doors. Them to sort the job out so you don’t have to chase it up. Big bunch of flowers for the wife. That’s the bare minimum.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This is what happens when roofing companies start staining stuff. 🙂 What stain did they put on anyway? It may be that it’s a sadolin shite type thing which may well sand off ok but tbh, once there’s a tint gone into the grain, you’re going to struggle to get it out.

Just ask for new doors, to be fitted by them or a chippie at their cost. Asking for further discounts will be taking the piss a bit and you want to be on good terms with them in case there’s any snagging down the line.

johndoh
    Free Member

Could they be acid dipped?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Could they be acid dipped?

NOOOO!

Ask for them to pay for new doors, made by the joiner who made the originals, assuming you were happy with them.

project
    Free Member

12 month old, and weathered they probably thought they where doing you a favour painting them.

Cant be dipped hardwoods usually split apart for some reason and caustic may eat glazing seals.

Dependant on cost to them probably new set of doors, but probably unlikely unless the roofing job made a good profit.

You did tell them in writing to leave the doors unfinished and to cover them before work commenced, .

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You did tell them in writing to leave the doors unfinished and to cover them before work commenced, .

Doesn’t need to be in writing. (Or didn’t you read where the OP said that they’d held their hands up and admitted it was a mistake.)

There will have been enough profit in it to pay for a new set of doors at trade rates.

project
    Free Member

Cant rember reading there was enough profit in roof to pay for replacement doors,or what the trade price of the doors ,plus fitting may be, or even if the doors or manufacturer are still in a trading position.

also have the roofers put their offer in writing.

so many questions so few answers,

LOL.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cant rember reading there was enough profit in roof to pay for replacement doors,or what the trade price of the doors ,plus fitting may be, or even if the doors or manufacturer are still in a trading position.

Well, as you didn’t really read it that well in the first place you’d have missed it anyway.

Of course there will have been enough profit in the roof* to pay for a set of iroko doors FFS. I realise you always like to take the tradesman’s side in these things project, but in this case, I think you’re off the mark.

*if indeed there was a roof at all. I hope the OP didn’t have roofers in doing doors and ceilings. 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

They will have insurance for this. Go to the original supplier and ask for a quote to replace. Easy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dream that one day project brings some joy to a thread but it is not this day or this thread.

What DD and others say replace the doors with like for like and they own your doors. Both sides behave like adults, mistakes happen and you deal with them

sharkbait
    Free Member

An update. The roofers were actually recovering the roof of our beach hut with rubber (and replacing facias,etc) so it wasn’t a big job but I had sold the job on to two of our neighbours so it was certainly worth their while making the 200 mile round trip!
    The cost of the doors was £1000 and I fitted them myself, and the cost of replacing them would almost = the invoice for our roof work.

The beach hut is shared with my sister and she has quite rightly pointed out that, although very disappointing, no-one has died and the stain will be battered off by the weather in a few years. Part of me wants to replace the doors (especially if they have insurance) but another side thinks that maybe we should just let it go.

Due to the nature of the place, if we’re there the doors are open and you can’t see the stained side at all. Not sure if there may be an issue with one side of the doors having a coat of ‘something’ while the other is bare. If so that could be more serious.

bedmaker

Next time someone looks at me incredulously when I tell them how much my mounting bike cost, I can just tell them that’s nothing, I know a guy who spent £1000 on doors for his beach hut….and they weren’t even painted 😆

project
    Free Member

I dream that one day project brings some joy to a thread but it is not this day or this thread

some people just dont get humour, even black humour.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

Not sure if there may be an issue with one side of the doors having a coat of ‘something’ while the other is bare. If so that could be more serious.

wouldn’t have thought this was any more an issue than outside being soaked when it rains and the inside being dry

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

£1000 for a pair of doors?

project, I take it all back. 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Have you never bought doors? £750 for softwood that would need painting regularly and £950 for hardwood that wouldn’t.
    I know it sounds bonkers but it’s not a normal beach hut and the cost is quite worth it.

project
    Free Member

£1000 for a pair of doors?

project, I take it all back.

There are doors and doors, and the person who makes/ sells them can charge what they like and sometimes do, last year went to a customer who had paid 180 quid per internal door for butchers block engineered internal doors with a veneer and on top and thin edgings, then there are the external doors made the same way and sometimes the veneer peels off, and the supplier suddenly finds all sorts of conditions not to replace them under warranty.

100 quid for 2 doors seem over the top, but it gave someone some work and a bit of profit hopefully.

murf
    Free Member

Never mind the doors, I’m more impressed tjat you have your own beach!
    Why else would you have a beach hut, right?

Personally I’d leave the stain to weather off over time. Why ruin someones month and take 1k off them when it will eventually peel off itself.
    Oh, and I’m currently looking for doors for the garage I’m building, even a stained 1k door would do nicely…

Jamie
    Free Member

I know it sounds bonkers but it’s not a normal beach hut and the cost is quite worth it.

How is it not normal?

*genuine q*

wrightyson
    Free Member

*if indeed there was a roof at all. I hope the OP didn’t have roofers in doing doors and ceilings.

Well folk have you in to do floors darcey so anythings possible 😉

el_boufador

What you have to keep in mind is that they probably didn’t stain your doors to annoy you. I wouldn’t stain someones doors if I was contracted to fix the roof – it seems to me that it was probably an attempt to give good service.

As someone said above, mistakes happen, accept it, deal with it, life moves on.

That isn’t to say that you should bite your tongue and accept it though.
    I’d find out what their insurance situation is and go from there in a reasonable manner.

oldnick

Next time someone looks at me incredulously when I tell them how much my mounting bike cost…

Sounds as though this could combine two of my favourite pursuits at once 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Some people don’t provide humour.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Aren’t beach huts supposed to be bubble gum pink, peppermint green or other similarly gay colours?
    (£1000 for a pair of Iroko doors is a bargain!)

aracer
    Free Member

Oh, and the answer to the question in the title is clearly get yourself sectioned.

stoffel
    Free Member

I am incredibly angry about this.

It’s some doors.Childen are dyigin Sytria and other places. Save your anger for more importnt causes.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, what about…

Northwind

Jamie – Freeloader! But we still like him

How is it not normal?

It’s covered in woodstain

DezB
    Free Member

‘Ow the other ‘alf live. As my old man used to say.

qwerty
    Free Member

£225,000 for a beach hut anyone???

I’d go for a £1000 reimburesment, and then keep the stain slopped doors!

ourmaninthenorth

If they’re going to sort you out, accept that (1) the doors are already 12 months old and (2) there’s still some value in the damaged doors – in other words, you won’t be getting £1000 back.

So, do a sensible cash deal to compensate you and decide whether to put that towards replacing the doors.

(Oh, and hang their margin – that’s the risk of business, what they have insurance for and they’ve also made a profit on the neighbours’ huts they did at the same time – they may still come out of it at break even or even up for all we know.)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Am mad….. what should I do?

Get into Lilly Allen… oh wait

sharkbait
    Free Member

Last update: Went and saw the ‘damage’ at the weekend. TBH, although it’s not what we wanted, he’d only put one coat on (after realising his mistake after a doing half the doors) and it’s water based stuff so if I’d meant to put it on I’d probably be hacked off that it had all but disappeared within 18 months.
    So I’ve decided that life’s too short and the rest of the job is pretty top notch so am letting it go.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Am mad….. what should I do?’ is closed to new replies.