Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Am I wrong not to like my iPhone??
  • rhid

I just picked up a 2nd hand iPhone 4s as my Sony Xperia t was looking tired and old (and I am too cheap to get something new).

I really don’t like the iPhone. Well that’s not 100% accurate. It looks lovely, feels great, the camera is 10000 times better than my Sony but I cannot get on with the menu system and the fact it doesn’t have a back button like the Sony does! I need that button!

Does anyone else feel like this as I feel like some sort of caveman rejecting apple as most people I know use them (I just wanted to be cool and accepted hence getting one….).

On a side note I will be going back to my Sony unless someone can point me in the direction of a cheapish alternative with a better camera. All I want to do is call, text, take pics and google stuff. Not massively concerned about storing loads of music on the phone but I suppose the ability to do that would be great. All this for about £100 (don’t mind going second hand).

jam-bo

no idea about alternatives but what do you need a back button for on the iphone?

home button is probably the equivalent.

footflaps

The 4S is a bit dated now, especially compared with the 6.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

I don’t like our iPad. There I said it.

brassneck

Keep an eye out for the Lumia 1020, amazeballs camera and might be coming down in price now MS have swallowed Nokias hardware division.

4S probably isn’t the best way to experience iOS 8 (though is dependant on where you come from). I had a Nexus 5 for a year, and just hated Android although everything else about me suggests I should be all over it.

GrahamS

It’ll always take a bit of time to adjust to any new system – they all have their design ideas and quirks. So I’d give it a couple of days if this is something you’ve just picked up.

Failing that, I think the “Back button” is an Android thing so any cheap Android phone should probably sort you out

brassneck

Keep an eye out for the Lumia 1020, amazeballs camera and might be coming down in price now MS have swallowed Nokias hardware division.

4S probably isn’t the best way to experience iOS 8 (though is dependant on where you come from). I had a Nexus 5 for a year, and just hated Android although everything else about me suggests I should be all over it.

EDIT – Sorry, echo in here. MotoG is the go to cheap Android de jour I believe?

iolo
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    The 4S is a bit dated now, especially compared with the 6.

They run the same ios so should feel the same. The 6 is just bit quicker.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not just the back button itself, it’s the way that Android stacks its apps and preserves their state when you open a new one, so you can go back to where you were by using the back button – or browse your previously opened apps using the other button. Not sure if the other one is on all phones but it’s on my Hudl. Very useful.

MotoG is the go to cheap Android de jour I believe?

Yes, ridiculously good for the money. I have one for work and it’s lovely.

brassneck

They don’t. The extra screen space, touch unlock etc. .. lots of little things add up to a modern iPhone feeling a lot slicker with the same OS (Mrs B has a 4S and I find it a bit cramped .. she doesn’t really notice, but coos a bit over my phone when she uses it)

jam-bo

it’s the way that Android stacks its apps and preserves their state when you open a new one, so you can go back to where you were by using the back button – or browse your previously opened apps using the other button

double click the home button and you can swipe through open apps that have preserved their state.

GrahamS

Android stacks its apps and preserves their state when you open a new one, so you can go back to where you were by using the back button – or browse your previously opened apps using the other button

Not an Android user, but that sounds like similar functionality to double-pressing the home button on an iPhone?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not an iPhone user either, so I dunno if the two are equivalent. Something the OP might like to try though.

On WP it’s holding the back button that displays all the apps, with state preserved. However I do really miss ‘intents’ on WP – on Android, app programmers can register actions like say a particular URL that their app will open, and the user is prompted to use a browser or that app.

IA

Swipe in from the left edge of the screen is the “back” equivalent on iOS. The convention is also to have the “back” action at the top left of the screen.

footflaps

I don’t like our iPad. There I said it.

Burn him!

Personally I think feel is tactile and the 6 is so much nicer in terms of shape etc. Yes they run the same iOS, but a 4S is going to be quite slow compared with the 6.

matt_outandabout

MotoG is the go to cheap Android de jour I believe?

My son has one, I just bought two for work, they are great value. We paid £102 a phone for 4G/’old’ model a couple of weeks back on Amazon.

GrahamS

Personally I think feel is tactile and the 6 is so much nicer in terms of shape etc

I just bought my wife a 5S for her birthday (pristine condition off eBay = £280 🙂 ) because we both thought the 6 was far too big.

I’m still on a 4S and I don’t find it particularly slow.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve had iPhones, Android and heaven forbid Blackberries – they all seem crap in comparison to the previous one if you’re “crossing boundaries” – perhaps it’s not a learning curve, but I need a few weeks to really get used to it again.

I also lost my mind a little bit, losing the back button – but you get used to it – there’s usually a back button on screen with most apps.

My biggest bugbear is that the inbuilt e-mail app isn’t nearly as good as the one on my S3 and the calendar doesn’t sync with outlook which is a nightmare for work so I’ve downloaded the Outlook app – which is also crap.

jam-bo

the calendar doesn’t sync with outlook which is a nightmare for work

mine does. is it an exchange account?

GrahamS

the calendar doesn’t sync with outlook which is a nightmare for work

“Set up Exchange ActiveSync on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch”
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201729

cp

Shame everything else about windows phone is carp. We have 930’s as work phones….

I’ve bought myself a moto g and put the work SIM in it… as the functionality of Windows Phone is so limited.

footflaps

I just bought my wife a 5S for her birthday (pristine condition off eBay = £280 ) because we both thought the 6 was far too big.

I thought that, but after about 2 days it just seems perfectly normal and my old 4S seemed tiny!

molgrips
    Free Member

Shame everything else about windows phone is carp.

Nar. Phone is good, app selection not so good.

maccruiskeen

Burn him!

Another instance of the the STW font making ‘RN’ look a little too much like ‘M’ 🙂

cp

Nar. Phone is good, app selection not so good.

from one of my previous posts on windows phone 8.1…

Windows phone 8.1 is horrible. I have a 930 with work and it’s so so bad. It’s actually crap.

Forward an email, but edit the content? No, can’t do that. Same with replies.

Use a search engine other than bing? Nope.

Use Google maps through the browser when bing/nokia maps fails to find a bike shop you know exists somewhere close by? Works well on most other mobile device…. Windows phone?? Nope.

Save an email attachment? Not if it’s a format the phone can’t natively open.

Make a phone call? Theres a 50% chance it will fail in one of several ways.

Mackem

Around now the Xperias are being upgraded to Lollipop, that might have made enough of a difference for you

This is what photos look like with Android Lollipop’s new camera API

molgrips
    Free Member

Use a search engine other than bing? Nope.

Yep. I use google.

Use Google maps through the browser when bing/nokia maps fails to find a bike shop you know exists somewhere close by?

Unofficial google maps app works.

Just tried going to maps.google.com – works rather well.

Make a phone call? Theres a 50% chance it will fail in one of several ways.

Never done that to me.

Nokia 920 running 8.1. Never tried the email stuff.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’ve had to research some new phones for work recently and liked the vodafone turbo/smart as a cheap android, was cheaper even than the rather good moto g. I think they are on version turbo or smart 6 now. both are good kit for the price and replace crap MS phones where simply there is no content, no apps. For slightly more Android money the samsung a3/a5’s look good, they dont seem much different to the expensive s5/s6.

The ios back question is answered above. But I would echo what has been said, give it a bit of time and you’ll get used to it. Always takes time.

cp

Yep. I use google.

yeah, you can use it if you bookmark it or bing search for google, but there’s no way of setting google as the default search engine for searches carried out from the address bar. A few windows phones running 8.1 allow you to change it to google or yahoo, but the 930 doesn’t.

Just tried going to maps.google.com – works rather well.

perhaps there’s a graphics hardware limitation or something in the 930 which sees I’ve gone to the ‘other side’ (i.e. google maps) and purposefully stops working.

I don’t get the back button behaviour either, seems weird.

molgrips
    Free Member

but there’s no way of setting google as the default search engine for searches carried out from the address bar

Yes there is. Browser -> settings -> advanced settings -> default search provider – choose from Google or Bing. Then type in the address bar and you get google. That’s what I do all the time.

The search BUTTON off the screen only used to use Bing, but now it’s Cortana anyway. Cortana uses Bing, but that’s because the functionality is provided by Bing anyway.

perhaps there’s a graphics hardware limitation or something in the 930

Doubt it – I suspect that Google have recently upgraded their maps to work better with WP as I think it was worse in the past.

cp

Yes there is. Browser -> settings -> advanced settings -> default search provider – choose from Google or Bing. Then type in the address bar and you get google. That’s what I do all the time.

Honestly, the 930, or any other Nokia since MS took over does not allow you to do this – the only option is bing. It’s a common complaint.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-disabling-google-default-search-engine-new-lumia

richmars

Same here. Had to give up my Blackberry Q10 (which was fine, small and worked well for emails) and given an Iphone 6. It’s a lovely thing, but I don’t like it. I don’t use itunes, so the only way (I think) to get photos from the phone to my laptop is idrive, which didn’t work on my laptop. The Microsoft one drive app worked fine on the phone, so I could use that, it’s just that the phone is too big. I went out and got a Moto e, but really would like another Blackberry Q10.

cp

anyway, gone a bit off the OP’s dislike of iPhone with my hatred of windows phone

molgrips
    Free Member

Honestly, the 930, or any other Nokia since MS took over does not allow you to do this – the only option is bing. It’s a common complaint.

Well that is indeed shit. Must surely be against monopoloy legislation…

jam-bo

so the only way (I think) to get photos from the phone to my laptop is idrive, which didn’t work on my laptop.

i just plug mine in and the photos folder automagically appears and I can copy them straight off.

richmars

i just plug mine in and the photos folder automagically appears and I can copy them straight off.

Without itunes? Why didn’t they tell me??

GrahamS

Yep. Plug iPhone into USB and this pops up (same as any other camera etc) :

No iTunes or special software required.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Well that is indeed shit. Must surely be against monopoloy legislation…

The iPhone isn’t much better: Google , Bing, Yahoo or DuckDuckGo.

That said, it’s so easy to set another search engine, like Startpage, as a browser favourite, that it’s really the most minor inconvenience. It’s not as though any device actually prevents the user from using a particular search engine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, you need to explain what you want a “back” button for. Individual apps have their own navigation (eg mail, safari have “back”) and as others have said a double click of the home button gives you the list of running apps if you want to navigate through or home screen re-tapping an app icon takes you to where you left that app.

Any new device takes a while to get used to

jools182
    Free Member

I had an iPhone for about a week

Just couldn’t get along with it, it seemed slow and clumsy

It was new, from Orange. I think I probably got a duff one, but it put me off getting another

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Am I wrong not to like my iPhone??’ is closed to new replies.