Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Am I turning into a roadie…
  • aw
    Free Member

always considered myself a mountain biker who does some road miles but looking at my strava stats suggest something else!

Bikes
    Alan Xcross single speed 156.3mi
    Boardman team carbon 4,457.9mi
    Genesis flyer SS 688.8mi
    Klein Attitude V 244.3mi
    Merina MTB 175.4mi

This over 18 months to 2 years and shows over 5,000 road miles but only about 500 off road miles!

also shows no matter how much I preach about the benefits of Single speed did only 156 + 689 SS miles compared with 4,458 geared miles!

The commute to work does not help the ratio pushing up the road miles of course (15 miles each way).

How can I stop the trend and should I?

Jamie
    Free Member

You do realise we all have road bikes, right?

mrmo
    Free Member

my strava feed says 11,200miles on the road bike and 1800 on the mtb, that is since end 2011.

Don’t worry about stoping it at this time of year, wait till spring when the blue bells are out and the trails start to dry out again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wl
    Free Member

Why would you want to stop the trend if you’re enjoying yourself? Unless, of course, you’re slightly embarrassed because there’s something slightly odd about folk into road riding.

Karl33to
    Free Member

If you have to ask, the answer is YES!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Don’t worry about stoping it at this time of year, wait till spring when the blue bells are out and the trails start to dry out again.

This is so wrong.

brakes
    Free Member

you’re just training to make yourself a better mountain biker.

mrmo
    Free Member

This is so wrong.

Too many trails i know only get trashed if you ride through the winter, plus the bike gets trashed, plus the cleaning, after 20 years i just can’t be arsed anymore.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Strava data obviously corrupted by malware…

Kryton57

I’ve just started receiving some road race coaching… 😯

fasthaggis

OP

Oh your poor heart,you must be so distraught,stay strong there,chin up and all that.
    You never know ,you may just learn to love it.
    😆

danielgroves
    Free Member

Not all of us.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Swap the miles to hours, how’s it look now?

jeffm
    Free Member

Is this thread just a thinly veiled excuse to drop in how many miles your doing on the road?

johnellison
    Free Member

Ask yourself these questions –

– Do I hate myself?
    – Do I hate everyone else?
    – Do I ride a road bike?

If you can answer “yes” to any two or more of the above questions, then yes – you are a roadie.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Too many trails i know only get trashed if you ride through the winter, plus the bike gets trashed, plus the cleaning, after 20 years i just can’t be arsed anymore.

Amen. I love off road but the hassle of winter round these parts is a pita.

asterix
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

+1

come on danielgroves you know you want to really (its all right you don’t have to admit it here if you don’t want to)

fasthaggis

The hardest thing is telling your parents .

portlyone

Swap the miles to hours, how’s it look now?

Exactly, for me:

50 miles on road bike = easy
    50 miles on a mtb = certain death

Jamie
    Free Member

Not all of us.

mudsux
    Free Member

50 miles on road bike = easy
    50 miles on a mtb = certain death

Did you mean
    50 miles on a road bike at time trial pace.
    vs
    50 miles on a mtb at pub & pie pace.

?
    🙂

tang
    Free Member

Bored in London, just purchased procycling(I follow road racing fairly closely). And I like it.

portlyone

50 miles on a mtb at pub & pie pace

There’s another pace?! 😳

crazy-legs

A +1 from me as well.
    3hrs ride, do 15 miles and spend 2hrs cleaning bike and kit
    vs
    3hr ride, 50 miles, 10 mins cleaning bike

Dibbs
    Free Member

+1

iainc

trashing trails and manky bikes – yes, hmmmm

road riding in winter, slippery leaves/grit/potential ice/dark roads…..hmmmmmm

I have had a few too many close encounters on the slippery rural back roads that are handy for road riding and now tend to be a bit more selective about weather conditions. I also tend not to road ride if temp less than 3 degress ‘cos I am a pussy on ice.

Luckily I am a 20 min drive from Glasgow Velodrome where I hope to spend a few hrs a week this winter…

johnellison
    Free Member

I have had a few too many close encounters on the slippery rural back roads

😯

You are Stan Colleymore and I claim my £5…

D0NK

I was going to say commuting by road and the ease of road miles push the ratio in the wrong ( 😉 ) direction but 10:1 is pretty bad, I used to manage about 1:1 but that was summer xc commuting pushing up the mtb side. My commuting vs fun riding ratio always has been pretty bad 🙁

plus the cleaning, after 20 years i just can’t be arsed anymore.

I just stopped cleaning my bikes

DezB
    Free Member

Does Strava measure ‘enjoyment’?

iainc

You are Stan Colleymore and I claim my £5…

🙂 PSML !

will
    Free Member

If you own a cotton cycling cap you are a roadie. Fact.

IanW
    Free Member

Well I own a cotton cap and some singletrack shorts, guess that make me the Obama of cycling.

will
    Free Member

*mind blown*

hh45
    Free Member

This summer I realised that I now prefer road riding to mountain biking. 70% of the time anyway. Quite shocking really as I was a mountain biker first, I have 3 mtbs to one road bike and always thought roadies were a bit silly. I just like road riding!

danielgroves
    Free Member

come on danielgroves you know you want to really (its all right you don’t have to admit it here if you don’t want to)

Few days late back here, but…

I did have a road bike last spring for a while. I hated and sold it. Built a new XC bike with the funds, that did more miles in the first month of owning it than the roadie did in the four months I owned it.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Am I turning into a roadie…’ is closed to new replies.