• This topic has 80 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Am I too 'unconventional' to work in an office??
  • binners

Er, move to an IT company.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. A creative in an IT environment? There’s only one way that’s ever going to end, I’d imagine. And it will probably involve a ‘Falling Down’ moment, a stockpile of weapons, possibly a hostage situation, but ultimately very heavy loss of life! 😀

MSP

Plenty of IT companies have smart dress codes.

It’s not really smart though is it, most offices seem to consist of mishaped people forced into shirts, ties and trousers that are at least a size to small, frankly they look a mess.

They may call is a “smart dress” code, but really its just a conventional dress code.

And IME its indicative of a blinkered management style. All top down do as I say because I’m the boss and **** what’s wrong or right.

tinman66
    Free Member

These people pay your wages.

These same people ask you to dress in smart ‘business wear’.

How dare they.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

These people pay your wages.

My wages come from the companies income, which is generated by the work I do. In most companies it would be more accurate to say, that the managers wages are payed by those below them.

nealglover
    Free Member

Suits or smart business wear is great for the office it means you can have a defined break from work when you change back into proper casual stuff.

I used to achieve the same “defined break” by “not being in the building where I work”

Never once did I get confused at home and “book a meeting room for video presentation” rather than just “watching a film with my OH”
    Likewise I never got confused at work and end up sitting around all day playing X-Box and eating Doritos.

Different buildings you see. Made it really easy.

If I’m in my suit I’m at work if not, I’m not

Do you get confused at weddings and funerals ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I too am a back-office worker most of the time. Post the EXACT wording of your dress code and we’ll work out how you can subvert it without punishment. I do this all the time.

For example:

* Trainers not permitted. I wear multi-sport/walking shoes which have attracted complaint until I explain they are not trainers, just fabric shoes.

* No denim. I wear jean-style trousers made from cotton-duck aka Chinos. These have drawn complaint until I explain that Denim is a specific weave (oblique) and Duck is different (horizontal)

* Shirt with collar. I wear polo-style T-shirts.

When I visit clients, I dress as they expect me too, which varies depending on the business: jeans and jumpers for universities, shirt and trousers for the space business, posh suit and tie for the Oil business

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

No, no you are right, you are a wild-eyed loner standing at the gates of Oblivion. You need to hitch a ride on the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City. Either that or just grow up.

slowmart
    Free Member

I employ six designers, they are based off site in their own office.

My brief to them was it your space, make it your own. I’ve never imposed a dress code and I look for output and self defined roles and tasks.

One guy heads up that particular team and its one of the businesses strongest units.

Treat and support your staff and you will in the most part get that investment back.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Unconventional?
    By wanting to wear jeans……
    Ok…..

nealglover
    Free Member

work out how you can subvert it without punishment. I do this all the time.

You are a “rebellious” teenager doing the final year of his GCSE’s, and I claim my £5.

messiah
    Free Member

You don’t need to wear lycra to cycle to work, or a wear a hoody and trainers to stand out from the crowd in the office…

Unfortunataly you do just step into another crowd but that’s between you and your friends.

fasthaggis

@the OP.
    Why not work from home ,then outsource all your work to China.
    More time to ride your bike and faff about.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

You need to recruit an assistant to support you in your fight for self-expression. You can call him Goose and he can call you Maverick.

Ladders
    Free Member

Wow!

Some of you are a very touchy bunch!

I obviously understand a bit more about the demographic of the majority of the Singletrack BB user.

Cheers 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I really hate ‘business casual’. For officey things it’s either a proper suit and tie, or jeans and t-shirt.

My current workwear revolves around retired T-shirts and combats, an eighteen year old Buffalo shirt, an almost as old Buffalo jacket and a down vest – and occasionally a hat. Style icon me… So be thankful that your clothing can be an aesthetic rather than climate led decision! 😉

pebblebeach
    Free Member

For example:

* Trainers not permitted. I wear multi-sport/walking shoes which have attracted complaint until I explain they are not trainers, just fabric shoes.

* No denim. I wear jean-style trousers made from cotton-duck aka Chinos. These have drawn complaint until I explain that Denim is a specific weave (oblique) and Duck is different (horizontal)

Such a subversaive, man you’re craaaaaazy, fabric shoes eh?

theteaboy
    Free Member

“A flawless appearance can bring inner peace and a sense of security.”

Must be true: a Swiss bank said it.
    http://www.thefinanser.co.uk/files/ubs-dress-code.pdf

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I just dislike pointless dress codes, in fact pointless anything! My dress code would read:

No holes
    No smells
    No stains

the managers wages are payed by those below them

I agree. Business pays wages, not managers.

RichPenny
    Free Member

My dress code would read:

No holes
    No smells
    No stains

Minimal risk of vagrancy charge

FTFM

Can’t say that it bothers me greatly, but in 18 years I’ve only owned 1 work specific item of clothing, an interview suit. Not even used that since 2001…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bet he un-tucked his shirt outside the school gates too 😛

TooTall
    Free Member

in 18 years I’ve only owned 1 work specific item of clothing, an interview suit. Not even used that since 2001…

Wow. Man. You really are amaaazing. I wish I were as free a spirit as you. Life must be so liberating and free.

Kryton57

DezB – Member
    Are you Colin Mike Hunt?

*sniggers childishly*

joemarshall
    Free Member

Anyway, the answer to the original question is no, if you’re a (graphic) designer, you are almost certainly a complete slave to convention, following whatever the latest fad is, whether it be edgy typography without any capitals, or monospace fonts and stock photography of cities at night, or cutesy bubble writing and dayglo colours or whatever! If you’re anything like most designers you probably wear a lot of expensive skate-wear, and whatever trendy jeans are in fashion this year. Hardly anyone is unconventional, and certainly not people from ‘edgy subcultures’ they just follow different sets of conventions; if anything many people who look odd in a particular way are more conventional than people who don’t.

If you’re not happy working in a mixed office with people who are slave to different conventions than designer ones, then you need to find a job in a purely design office, or at least one where more than one person is a designy type.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Scapegoat

buzz-lightyear – Member
    I too am a back-office worker most of the time. Post the EXACT wording of your dress code and we’ll work out how you can subvert it without punishment. I do this all the time.

For example:

When I visit clients, I dress as they expect me too, which varies depending on the business: jeans and jumpers for universities, shirt and trousers for the space business, posh suit and tie for the Oil business

Right on!

Life must just f*cking fly by!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Most U.K. Men are terrible dressers it doesn’t matter what they wear they still look like a sack of crap

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Unconventional ??

Do you have a little sign that says …

“You don’t have to be mad to work here, but it helps?”

Mackem

Most U.K. Men are terrible dressers it doesn’t matter what they wear they still look like a sack of crap

Far far better than Spaniards who just seem to thrown on any old shite, so long as it has a “label”.

binners

joemarshall just undermined my whole life 😥

stumpy01

My previous employer suddenly enforced a rule that every one must wear smart business wear to work, in case of customer visits.
    Men had to wear shirt & tie, women ‘smart business dress’.
    Most of the girls got away with sloppy jumpers, whereas the ‘must wear tie’ policy was rigidly enforced for the blokes.

People who argued that they spent 50/50 of their time in the office and down on the shop floor & it wasn’t safe to wear a tie near some of the machinery were told to tuck the tie into a labcoat. One bloke refused on the grounds that he wanted adequate justification given that he never went anywhere near a customer. He ended up giving his notice over it (basically because he said if that was all the management could see that needed improving, then there was something seriously wrong).

For most of us, we never encountered customers & it took the morale of an already low workforce even lower as it was obvious there was no good reason for it.

My manager always wore a shirt, tie & jacket but his dress sense was awful & his suits looked really cheap & ill fitting. He’d have looked better in a company branded polo shirt & some jeans.

joemarshall
    Free Member

joemarshall just undermined my whole life

Relax, the sale is on at Urban Outfitters, and there are some new vinyl releases at the hip hop shop, I’m sure you can sort yourself out!

I’m a computer nerd. We have different conventions, easy haircut – long unkempt hair or shaved off, easy to choose clothes – jeans and t-shirts (bonus points for nerdy jokes or ancient rock band shirts), sensible shoes (lightweight hiking boots are the thing at the moment). Right now nerdy people are liking the latest android phones and are just getting bored of ‘cloud computing’.

The problem graphic designers have, and why they are so easy to take the piss out of is that their trends are so visually obvious, whereas most nerd trends are things that non-nerds wouldn’t understand, like if I said Python was a trendy computer language, most people don’t really know what a computer language is, and almost certainly wouldn’t know what Python in particular is.

Joe

Kryton57

wouldn’t know what Python in particular is

big snake, innit.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Far far better than Spaniards who just seem to thrown on any old shite, so long as it has a “label”.

Oh they have superdry too?

yunki
    Free Member

you guys are like **** buckwild and kerazy maaaan..

You’ve just inspired me to put red laces in my shoes.. that’ll teach ’em

jota180
    Free Member

most people don’t really know what a computer language is

Like Siri, init?

project
    Free Member

The other issue that these places have is that someone would go against the grain and ‘gasp’ cycle to work and wear cycle clothing to ride a bike and then walk into the office in it and expect to have some where to put all this clothing when they change!

Anyone else feel the same way? Should I find a job where people aren’t so stuffy? Will I die?

Since leaving school at 16 have never ever worn a shirt with a tie to work or trousers jeans safety boots and t shirt , wooly jumper or fleece.

Used to cycle into work in lycra shorts and cycle top,much to the amusement of one woman, who did her best to attract the attention of management to my wear, eventually they had words, you look very sporty they said,much to the womans disgust , who wanted me banned from wearing cyclig stuff.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I have a real problem with ‘dress codes’ in the case of employees who are not customer facing.

My attitude to which is possibly somewhat further prejudiced by spending 12 years in lab greens/blues – as far as I’m concerned, staff being comfortable at work improves their productivity far more than some made up ‘professional atmosphere’.

Gunz
    Free Member

My job requires me to wear a uniform at all times and a suit to go to dinner, we can relax to a polo shirt in the bar.
    I really can’t say I mind either way, these clothes are just coverings that stop my floppy bits from being exposed. I’d wear a Bernie Winters comedy ostrich suit if required, it really doesn’t matter (actually I think I’d prefer it if everyone had to wear the ostrich suit).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Clifton, Winters was the guy with the dog, Schnorbitz

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

wouldn’t know what Python in particular is

I wouldn’t let that bother you. In fact, I tend to
    always look on the bright side of life

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Am I too 'unconventional' to work in an office??’ is closed to new replies.