Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Am I too suspicious?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Bought something on eBay. Got an email from someone saying that it was their grandfather’s only wish to have this item, and would I sell it to them for £9 more than I paid?

Am I a horrible, horrible person for being a bit suspicious about this?

thegreatape
    Free Member

No, I would be suspicious and I’m a great person.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Am I too suspicious?

Why do you want to know? Eh? Eh?

Stoner
    Free Member

how did they get your id as a winning bidder?

scaredypants

Is it something really rare ?

Regardless, tell them you’ll happily sell it – off ebay and via gift

mikey3
    Free Member

I was thinking that,how did they know where to contact you?

Dickyboy

is their grandfather gollum?

jimjam
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

Bought something on eBay. Got an email from someone saying that it was their grandfather’s only wish to have this item, and would I sell it to them for £9 more than I paid?

£9 more? Tell him £500 more and it’s his.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Unless it’s something to do with bike building…I’d be a nice person and sell it!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is it a copy of “Fly Fishing” by JR Hartley?

bencooper
    Free Member

how did they get your id as a winning bidder?

The seller gave them my info.

Stoner
    Free Member

[img]http://www.quickmeme.com/img/85/85e50a0b740d8a548fdb12b5a6612f6cf86ee8ba0f7198718aa8863d7a39ac40.jpg[/img]
    dont mind me. Im enjoying myself.

sweepy
    Free Member

If it was their Grandfathers only wish then they should have bid more in the first place.

What was it? Not that it makes any difference, i’m just stickybeaking.

bencooper
    Free Member

Is it a copy of “Fly Fishing” by JR Hartley?

It’s a steel box with AWRE Aldermaston written on the side. Which amuses me. But is an odd thing for someone to get emotionally attached to, especially as it wasn’t advertised as such on the auction, it was only sold as a steel ammo box.

Stoner
    Free Member

is this your spokeoffcutcatch-o-matic?

wwaswas

[Childhood Famous Five reader]

Is there a secret compartment in the bottom of the box full of diamonds?

[/Childhood Famous Five reader]

scaredypants

The seller gave them my info.

wot stoner ^ “said”

I’d be reporting that motherhubbard to ebay – no real idea why, but I would

bencooper
    Free Member

Is there a secret compartment in the bottom of the box full of diamonds?

I’m hoping for plutonium. Maybe people should stand back when I open it. France is probably far enough.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

AWRE you say…do you have a geiger counter handy or does it glow in the dark?

wwaswas

I’m hoping for plutonium.

I thought that but it felt a bit too Edge of Darkness for a gag 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

do you have a geiger counter handy

I would put money on ben being probably one of the most likely people in here who actually does!

sweepy
    Free Member

How did they know about the AWRE if it wasn’t on the ad? I assume that’s where their interest lies.

bencooper
    Free Member

AWRE you say…do you have a geiger counter handy or does it glow in the dark?

I’ve got a Plessey PDRM82 – it’s a dosimeter, but should do the trick.

Stoner
    Free Member

it’s a dosimeter

I’ve earned my £5

kcal

I would put money on ben being probably one of the most likely people in here who actually does!

🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve earned my £5

😀

How did they know about the AWRE if it wasn’t on the ad? I assume that’s where their interest lies.

And more to the point how did their grandfather find out and make it his one wish to have it?

Stevet1
    Free Member

The seller should not have given out your info. I have been in the middle of this in the past and it never goes well. When asked I have very politely passed on the request to the buyer myself but NEVER give out the buyers info and also make it clear to the original buyer that I am perfectly happy to tell the interested buyer to do one on his behalf.
    Last time it happened the original buyer said yeah okay if he wants it that badly then I guess he can have it. Then new buyer pulled out!!! Added new buyer to ‘the list’.

freeagent
    Free Member

It’s a steel box with AWRE Aldermaston written on the side. Which amuses me. But is an odd thing for someone to get emotionally attached to, especially as it wasn’t advertised as such on the auction, it was only sold as a steel ammo box.

I’ve got a Meddings Pillar drill with a data plate on the front which says ‘AWRE Aldermaston’
    I bought it at an auction when AWRE closed down their facility in Shoebury.

Maybe it is worth a few quid as a collectors item??

wwaswas

Maybe it is worth a few quid as a collectors item dirty bomb??

ftfy.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Plessey PDRM82 – it’s a dosimeter, but should do the trick.

It was my silver haired old Mothers dearest wish to have one of those, will you take twenty quid for it?

maccruiskeen

I’ve earned my £5

Doesn’t leave Ben much change from £9 🙂

avdave2

I bought it at an auction when AWRE closed down their facility in Shoebury.

It’s actually still open but with a very small staff now. I was there for 7 years and the £100,000 pounds worth of high speed 16mm cine cameras we had all went in a skip for scrap when my last remaining colleague left a couple of years after I took voluntary redundancy. Sadder still the photographic archive of film and negs going back to the 50’s went up in smoke. Some kit did go to Aldermaston but most was scrapped. Due to the nature of what we did we had to do all processing and printing on site so we had a lot of expensive kit. It was the best job you can imagine, doing what was effectively your hobby and at the same time blowing things to pieces.
    In hindsight though getting out 20 years ago was a smart move, the relentless move to digital meant our skills soon became redundant and I don’t suppose anyone is left anywhere loading 400ft of cine film in a camera that’s used in 2 seconds giving you maybe 50 frames of information. Not very efficient by today’s standards.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s actually still open but with a very small staff now. I was there for 7 years and the £100,000 pounds worth of high speed 16mm cine cameras we had all went in a skip for scrap when my last remaining colleague left a couple of years after I took voluntary redundancy. Sadder still the photographic archive of film and negs going back to the 50’s went up in smoke. Some kit did go to Aldermaston but most was scrapped. Due to the nature of what we did we had to do all processing and printing on site so we had a lot of expensive kit. It was the best job you can imagine, doing what was effectively your hobby and at the same time blowing things to pieces.
    In hindsight though getting out 20 years ago was a smart move, the relentless move to digital meant our skills soon became redundant and I don’t suppose anyone is left anywhere loading 400ft of cine film in a camera that’s used in 2 seconds giving you maybe 50 frames of information. Not very efficient by today’s standards.

I think I might know what your grandson’s getting you for Christmas… 😀

fasthaggis

Damn you Ben Cooper,I am now looking at ammo boxes on eBay.
    I do not need an ammo box for the shed,I do not need an ammo box,I do not need an ammo box,I do not need an ammo box,I do not need an ammo box,I do not need an ammo box,I do not need an ammo box. 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

My desk. Yes, its a mess, but it doubles as metal storage 😉

growinglad
    Free Member

I do not need an ammo box for the shed,I do not need an ammo box,I do not need an ammo box,I do not need an ammo box,I do not need an ammo box,I do not need an ammo box,I do not need an ammo box.

Trust me you do….. I have one for tools I don’t use that much….

Proper manly stuff sitting in my basement….

Tell you what, send me your bank details, then you can transfer some money to me and I’ll send you a few “select” photos of said item….I may just leave a power tool or two laying around in the background 😉

kcal

@bencooper – swoons… 🙂

ThePinkster

I now have desk envy 😳

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Dunno if I’d be suspicious as such but I certainly wouldn’t assume it’s true either, so if I wanted it it would probably take more than £9 extra to make me part with it.

The seller giving out your details is well out of order though.

ferrals
    Free Member

£9 is pretty random! seems, not exactly suspicious, but like someone is thinking they can sell it on for even more or something.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Am I too suspicious?’ is closed to new replies.