Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Am I too old for work experience?
  • sharkattack

Has anyone ever asked to do work experience somewhere as an adult?

If so how did you get on? Is it a viable way to change career and get your foot in the door somewhere?

At the age of 31 will the company I approach think I’m some kind of failure for not already being successful and settled in my chosen profession?

I’m currently self employed but really looking for some stability.

Really clutching at straws here. So desperate for a change of scenery and I’m stuck in the desolate northeast where opportunity is thin on the ground.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Jacked my job in, went back to uni (at 44 – now 47 and nearly done). Loving it, and one of the positive aspects was “work experience” in my chosen industry. Took a big hit financially to do it, so think long and hard about what is right for you. You only get one life though, so dont wish it away!!!

Anna-B
    Free Member

Not too old. Never too old! I did some work experience in my mid thirties, and it’s shaped where I am now. Had a fairly major career change, now working full time in a field related to the work experience and doing a degree in Social Work through the OU. I’m 39 and started my career change at 34.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    project
    Free Member

Seems as if this governmnet are forcing unemployed people to do work experience for no pay, just income support.

It would be a great way to learn if you enjoy the job and whats involved, before actually comiting yourself to that job, getting a firm to agree to tae you on in a job trial may be more dificult.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Never too old. Work experience is the most valuable experience easily as important if not moreso than education. I was always told that qualifications will get you to the interview, but once there its you and your experience that will get you the job. There is alot of stuff in the news at the moment about the high youth unemployment rate, but it was the same in my day in the late ’80’s. The difference is I was told to roll up my sleeves and go out into the world and get experience, and that’s what I did. Didn’t matter what it was or particularly relevant to what I wanted to do, just to go out and get some. It was tough, but set me up proper for the world of work and tought me the things you need that you don’t get taught at school or university or a training course. Its a shame the youth of today are not being given the same message.

sharkattack

Thanks for the encouraging words, I really wasn’t sure what the response would be.

I was deliberately brief in the OP because it was reading like a bit of an X-Factor sob story! I missed out on uni the first time around. I’m reasonably well skilled in the area I’d like to work in from freelancing and personal projects. I just don’t have any qualifications in the subject. I’d love to get in an office and see behind the scenes and make myself known to the employers.

I hate the idea of going to uni in my 30’s and being broke for another 4 to 5 years but I hate the idea of working in a shop or a factory in my 40’s even more.

project
    Free Member

oh and it gives the employee a chance to see someone who is intrested in the job, without the commitment of them giving someone a job and they fail.

Work experience should be compulsory for all the unemployed and for school,college and uni leavers.

Anna-B
    Free Member

For me, a career change did mean a drop in salary, maybe not for everyone though. I lost £10k, but when I’m qualified it will go back up £10k, and then should only increase from there. I’ve just started my degree, and have been able to cut my outgoings by 50%, so in real terms have more money. It’s a balancing act between what you’re prepared to put up with short term and what long term gains will be…. IMO 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Again, I got a degree but got their through vocational training via an apprenticeship. My HND was done via a block release format which was great as it split up the dry process of academic learning, but put you out into the real world of work where you got a chance to put into context what you were learning in the lecture theatres – and visa versa. I did my degree full time, but was so much easier as I had a much better practical understanding of what was being taught. So getting a job that allows you to take a qualification or a day or block release degree is a very good way of learning and not a poor relation to doing it full time.

Cougar

We took a lad in on work experience about two years ago. He was 20, a chef, and knew nowt about IT.

He’s now running the lab, looking after our VMWare infrastructure, doing prestaging and site visits for high profile customers, and (completing the stereotype) driving an Audi.

We took on a new work experience lad this week. He’s late teens, a window cleaner, and knows nowt about IT. Our previous WE lad is now training and mentoring him. I’m very proud. Funny how things turn out.

gazza100

Never too old. Depending what you want to do, you could look at doing some voluntary work. That’s what I did and started university to do a degree in social work at the age of 40.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Am I too old for work experience?’ is closed to new replies.