Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Am I spoiled or wanting too much?
  • emmodd
    Free Member

After too many years in the wilderness, I got back into mountain biking about 18 months ago. I had been out of the loop for some time and had always had a hardtail and so, wanting something that could go up and down and everything in between without breaking the bank, plumped for an NS Core 2.

I bought the bike knowing it was heavy but it would also take some stick. Not long after, I bought a DH bike and having enjoyed it around Wharncliffe, realised that whilst I liked a bit of DH, it wasn’t the be all and end all and so decided to get shot and get a full sus bike which was a bit more versatile.

I managed to pick up a mint 2008 Patriot and have just finished building it up. I’ve not gone daft with lightweight parts but it still comes in at about 30lbs and I love it.

The problem is, it weighs less than the NS by some much and whilst I still want a hardtail for some singletrack action etc, I feel the weight is suddently a big issue.

The question therefore is do I simply get over it and get on with enjoying the NS (having now been spoiled by the Orange) or so I start spending more cash and get something lighter with a bit less hardcore ht focus?

Views please. Ta.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Don’t ask me to explain it rationally, but I see no point in having a hardtail that is heavier – but no more burly and capable – than your full susser. Strip the parts off, buy a lighter frame and then rebuild into a 27lb trail demon (whilst enjoying your Patriot).

wwaswas

wot stilltortoise said – build something with 120-140mm travel and 26lb – no point having a hardtail you have to push up hills…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Am I spoiled or wanting too much?’ is closed to new replies.