Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Am i overpricing my ad?
  • astura
    Free Member

Im trying to sell my Whyte G150 on the classifieds but iv had no interest at all so iv reduced the price. Im just concerned if im overpricing this or im at the right price. Iv changed quite a few parts on it from stock but i really could do with shifting it as iv found the bike i want.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-whyte-g150-large-2014-complete-bike-upgraded-to-160mm-1200-ono-see-spec

Iv ended up sticking it on ebay starting at 1000 auction. Is anyone able to advise on the pricing if im selling it around the right price?

weeksy

I have no idea. I can’t see any pics.

nickjb
    Free Member

Price seems OK to me. Not a particularly well written ad, though. If you’ve got it on eBay it should sell for what it is worth.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

needs pics. gut feeling is a grand to 1200 max . 10 speed, deore cranks, 100 quid to service the reverb, on one bits lessen the appeal. good luck with the sale!

astura
    Free Member

That’s great thanks, iv put loads of pics on ebay but obviously that’s not on here.

Iv changed my starting price to 900 hoping that will be more attractive,, thanks for the advice 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I got 1200 quid for a 2014 Yeti SB66, which would’ve cost a fair bit more than yer whyte, so maybe a wee tad expensive.

Start it at 99p, I’ve sold many bike son the bay starting at that, it still achieves it’s price, but gets more folk interested.

I never bid on anything with a high starting price tbh, dunno why, must just put me off subconsciously.

joebristol

I think people tend not to bid on auctions with high starting prices. I’d either start it at 99p (maybe with a reserve – but that seems to incur a large extra eBay charge which is annoying) or so a buy it now with a beat offer option. I’ve done the latter for the Boardman Pro FS I’m selling and the offers have been mixed. At the moment I haven’t quite hit he amount I want – but with 16 watchers I’m hopeful.

None of the ads on any other site have generated any interest.

coomber
    Free Member

Number of watchers means next to nothing really though. I watch ten bikes a week etc. Buy zero. Just interested in prices for reference.

I do also think in general selling bikes second hand in this price bracket is getting harder. Our obsession with finance means 0% is often seen as more favourable.

As for your bike it’s overpriced I reckon. Just start it lower and wait for eBay to find its price. If you are in the ballpark on here you’ll get offers.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Condition: The bike has been regularly serviced locally via Clee Cycles, Plush Cycles and JTech Suspension.

Reverb needs service

At that point credibility is reduced, combine that with top money and nope.

chakaping
    Free Member

Buy it now with best offer.

£1k tops IMO.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ron_burgundy will hopefully see this thread.

postierich
    Free Member

Have Whyte 150 got issues with their quad link problems apparently after a few years due to wear destroying bearings!!

astura
    Free Member

Bearings have been changed :), iv changed the advert to £900 collected or £950 posted, think that’s a better price range

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Sounds daft, but that mix of spec puts me off. It doesn’t seem considered or throught through, which again sounds daft as it’s all solid, functional kit.

You may be better stripping it down and selling parts individually. I suspect you’re also losing some interest because it’s 10 speed.

Unfortunately the fast pace of recent changes in bike tech have made older kit less desirable. This is great for a buyer if you don’t mind running stuff that’s a generation behind as you’ll get brilliant kit for not too much cash, but not so great as a seller.

Oh yes – pics too, even if it’s only a link to a Pinkbike / ebay ad.

weeksy

I suspect you’re also losing some interest because it’s 10 speed.

Really ? I still class 10 speed as ‘modern’ as only a small percentage of bikes are 11’s. I’d class 9 as old school in the context above, but not 10.

chakaping
    Free Member

10 speed is a minus, but it’s mainly that the frame has been superseded, has a reputation for being a bit heavy and the Reverb may be toast.

Not that I want to sound negative. It has great geometry for it’s vintage.

philjunior
    Free Member

It sounds a bit overpriced, but what you put it on for will to some degree depend on how keen you are to get rid of it.

I’d bear in mind too that most people buying second hand are buying “the bike” and as such upgrades won’t generally make much difference – unless they’re daft things like carbon rims (in which case you’d get far more splitting in any case). The changes you’ve made will be to suit you/your riding, which is great for you but might not suit 75% of the people who might buy it.

Another thing that I think will affect the price (if not now then very soon) is that the wheels aren’t 29″ – the enduro boys (and girls) are all going 29er and raving about it, DH boys (and girls) will be soon too. You have effectively got the “new 26er” to sell. I’d go for selling it quite quick before everyone wants a 29er and it won’t fetch more than £500 or so even if it’s a solid bike in good order.

cp

If the reverb ‘needs a service’… to my mind that means it’s knackered. Either get if serviced repaired or lower the price to compensate for a new one.

and… PICS!! get at least a couple on the ad itself and link to plenty of good ones. By good I mean not blurry… close ups of any damage, plus close ups of the main parts. Take them in good daylight and not in your dim dining room at night.

convert

I’m a lazy reader of classified ads. If I’m not familiar with the make/model (increasingly likely as I no longer hoover up every word about every brand and don’t read review heavy websites or mags) and I’m not presented with a brief summary of the bike type (“150mm full suss enduro/trail bike” for example) and photos I tend to move on without thinking about it further. Why classified ad users don’t present this information as a matter of course on every ad, ideally with a link to a review or an archived page of a shop selling it when it was a current model I have no idea. You need to broaden your appeal to increase your chances.

It would be lovely if the classified was filterable but as it’s not you need to put in a bunch of key words that would be snagged by someone generally looking at a type of bike rather than your specific model.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Really ? I still class 10 speed as ‘modern’ as only a small percentage of bikes are 11’s. I’d class 9 as old school in the context above, but not 10.

It’s all 12 speed Eagle now, dahling. 😉

In all seriousness, 11 speed has been around for a few years (SLX is 11 and I suspect Deore isn’t far behind), and 10 is currently sold on cheaper bikes. As I said, it’s great kit – it’s solid, trickle-down technology so will work and work well, and there’s still plenty of well-priced and well-made spares. But if you do a comparison with bikes of a similar spec online today, 10 speed is old hat.

stevextc
    Free Member

Sounds daft, but that mix of spec puts me off. It doesn’t seem considered or throught through, which again sounds daft as it’s all solid, functional kit.

You may be better stripping it down and selling parts individually. I suspect you’re also losing some interest because it’s 10 speed.

Unfortunately the fast pace of recent changes in bike tech have made older kit less desirable. This is great for a buyer if you don’t mind running stuff that’s a generation behind as you’ll get brilliant kit for not too much cash, but not so great as a seller.

I’ve got a similar dilemna…. except forks are serviced and no dropper…
    Split or not…. 2015 Carbon Frame and forks…. or frame/forks separately… or “whole bike” except I don’t have the original wheels…

I’m trying to work out WHAT someone would buy…. as in if it was me I wouldn’t want to buy the frame without forks as getting the forks cheap might end up being quite difficult…

I’m watching a whole bike on ebay but WAY lower spec… (Deore vs XT) and the whole bike is I think 690…. which is I think reasonable but in the case of my HT it’s a out and out XC bike…. If i was buying I’d want the top spec forks but then add 11 speed ..? If I was buying it is the forks would put me off… otherwise it’s £690 and then you can swap parts etc. but then I’m of the mind if you pay for a carbon XC frame then you don’t want to add an extra kg in forks…. or have heavier components?

I guess the question is not what I think but what buyers might think/want to buy….

I’d be happy to sell it whole but don’t have the original wheels (I reversed the car over a rim :oops:) but I could advertise with some wider wheels ???

It’s currently only on pinkbike as I figured asking advice here it’s a bit cheeky then sticking it in the classifieds ….

astura
    Free Member

May need some help on pricing the frame and shock if anyone can advise? Everything else I can list on the classifieds and if no takers on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whyte-G150-Large-650b-27-5-mountain-bike-160mm-front-suspension-/252914695345?hash=item3ae2e3fcb1:g:V5oAAOSw5UZZANjO

Iv looked on ebay for the rest and can work out prices,, obviously list on STW 1st with lower prices 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I like that your username looks like a modified abbreviation of astroturfer.

It amazes me that people go to the trouble of creating classified ads without learning/bothering to add pictures, especially for big ticket items like entire bikes. If there are no pics I won’t even read to the bottom of the ad.

twonks

That’s a nice bike but you aren’t really ‘selling’ it.

The STW ad has been discussed above so I’ll aim at fleabay.

My first reaction when looking at that is – ooo, that’s had a hard life, I’ll leave it.

This is before even reading the text, and is mainly because-
    The reverb looks fubared
    The cranks are heavily worn
    The front mudgaurd thing looks like one somebody would buy who jumps their bike and doesn’t look after it.
    The seat is worn (or looks it)
    The chainstay protector is battered, probably from hard riding and the chain flapping all over.
    Something is held on the top tube with tie wraps – scratchy scratchy, so you don’t really care about your frame.
    Then you say it has been serviced often but the reverb is bust…. hmmmmm

All a bit harsh and quite likely rubbish but, they are my initial reactions and these thoughts are what makes a buyer interested before they even get to the text. Perceptions are everything.

Tart the bike up a bit. Get the reverb at least up and take pics at a decent angle.

For top dollar maybe even get some crank skins from Slik. At least then it has visual appeal and even though you say the cranks are rubbed underneath, the buyers won’t be bothered as it looks good.

nealglover
    Free Member

Try drumming up some more interest by putting a link to your classifieds advert on the main forum ?

That might help.

teadrinker
    Free Member

You’ve also got the eBay ad for the same price as your ad on here? We all know your going to pay eBay fees for it so I’d put down to £850 on here.

Having

Well looked after bike, upgraded/renewed various part over last 2 years of owning. A few war wounds

puts me right off. Well looked after followed by a few war wounds makes it sound like it’s knackered to me.

The frame and forks are nice but to be honest the build sounds like a mish mash of parts, like you’ve got them all out of the spares box.

If I was you’d I split it but if you are keen to sell it as it is, I would go into more detail about the parts, crank length , cassette range, tyre widths etc. If you were buying a new bike think about all the things you would look at in detail, just because it’s second hand it doesn’t mean people don’t want to know. And try and make it sound appealing, war wounds to me makes it sound like you’ve crashed and burned on it. You’d be better off putting “the frame is 2 years old and being used it has some markings that you would consider standard for a 2 year old used mtb frame” etc.

Sorry if it comes across harsh but you did ask 🙂

Good luck with the sale though.

dumbbot
    Free Member

split it, those are tasty forks.

astura
    Free Member

Id much prefer to be as honest as i can, which i believe i have been. I think from taking the advice from here that £900 is a great price (especially as the forks are probably 4-500 on there own), if it doesnt sell this time i will split it i think and go from there.

I see a lot of ads on here that dont have pics and to be honest if its a bike im after il just email to get the additional info.
    Iv put a link on it now to my ebay ad so the pics are available. Thanks for the advice though 🙂

iainc

It’s worth what someone will pay for it, so your £900 may be what you think it’s worth, but what will it sell for ? It might go quick at £800, or not go at £900… and then you have the eBay fees.

astura
    Free Member

Lets see what happens 🙂

richardthird

Stevextc, I think in your situation I’d sell frame & fork unless it’s shod with nice light bits. In which case you’d still prob get more split anyway.
    (Recently bought 2 Framesets off here and did lovely light builds).

v666ern
    Free Member

As above post pictures and since this is STW dahling be factual. Strava is your friend here, or not, when you changed the drivetrain how many rides/distance since? Your 3 rides could be 3 days in the alps vs my 3 laps of nationwide trail.

Honest suggestion, you need renton here – he manages to flog stuff for more than the hive mind suggest so there must be something in it 😀

stevextc
    Free Member

Stevextc, I think in your situation I’d sell frame & fork unless it’s shod with nice light bits. In which case you’d still prob get more split anyway.
    (Recently bought 2 Framesets off here and did lovely light builds).

Cheers… I’ve advertised it on Pinkbike as Frame/Forks and if they want any other bits that can be negotiated….

Its XT 780 series throughout but I’d probably just keep them in the spare bin anyway as I have 2 other bikes with the same…. (unless someone wanted a 2×10 XC race bike) or I could stick 1×11 M8000 on it (off my trail bike) but then I wouldn’t have the wheels anyway!

daddyoe
    Free Member

Go for buy it now or best offer on ebay. That’s the easiest way. People are put off auctions as people are impatient.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

you need renton here

hahaha true

Splitting your bike is probably your best option… as others have said looks like a mish mash of parts you had around.

All the best

astura
    Free Member

Looks like £900 has got the ball rolling, lets see what happens (probably stay at that)

astura
    Free Member

Sorted, got a bit more than expected so thanks for the advice, bike has sold and gone.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Am i overpricing my ad?’ is closed to new replies.