Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Am I on the right track? Do it all 29er frames.
  • sneakyg4
    Free Member

Looking for a 29er frame, not too slack, not too racey, something that will be fun on singletrack but also comfortable enough for multi day bike packing trips.

Currently the front runner is the Salsa El-Mariachi, have also looked at the Cotic and Genesis options.

Anything else I should be considering? £500-ish, needs to come in small sizes, not fussed about what the frame is made of. I am pretty ignorant of more niche brands so would appreciate any suggestions.

Ta.

flashes
    Free Member

Surly Karate Monkey…..love mine…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Krampus

tang
    Free Member

Santa Cruz highball alu? My mate Rickie Cotter uses one for trail and bikepacking, small size. If you can find a cheap steel Niner, very much fits your requirements. I’ve got a mcr and it’s brilliant, just over priced in the UK!

Alini
    Free Member

Another vote for Karate Monkey. Very versatile frame and they ride just “right” IMO.

tobymc

El mariachi here. Enough of this Karate Monkey nonsense. 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

El Mariachi the bike I don’t think I can part with.

damascus
    Free Member

On one scandal. £150 quid last time I looked.

DrP

Scandal?
    Cheap and light – love mine!

DrP

IvanDobski
    Free Member

FF29?

mboy
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29 for sure.

Or Cotic Solaris if it’s got to be steel.

epicyclo

Scandals are a brilliant bike for the money.

I had to spend quite a lot to get an only slightly better (but shinier 🙂 ) frame.

ratherbeintobago

Scandals are a brilliant bike for the money.

…not least because you can only buy them second hand.

I’m going for an El Mar, when I get a change to go to the LBS and order the bloody thing.

emac65
    Free Member

Scandal,again..Got one of the last new ones too 😉

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Have Scandals been discontinued then?

ratherbeintobago

Have Scandals been discontinued then?

No longer listed on On-One’s website and there was a rumour (that I’ve not seen Brant confirm, tbf) that the Scandal was indeed no more.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Thanks guys, lots of stuff I had not thought of, would love to know if there will be more Scandals, Brant?

coastkid
    Free Member

Karate Monkey-until you ride a 29+ 🙂 lack of choice on 29+ tyres though, just Knard 3″ this now which rules out winter slop! 🙂

honourablegeorge

El Mariachis half price on a PSA here a while ago

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I bought one of the original slot dropout on-one 29ers, replaced it with a second hand Scandal. Much prefer the Scandal.

Small El Mariachi frame (£225) – be quick

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yokaiser has a mint condition raw scandal that he wants to sell. Klaus to the forum!.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ff29 for me too, had one, rode all sorts on it. Great bike

epicyclo

If you can’t get a Scandal, my next choice would be a secondhand Singular Swift/Gryphon.

rOcKeTdOg

New Swift s look lovely
    http://instagram.com/p/jkRLNyrGPb/

Edit: u said small 😕

monkeychild
    Free Member

How tall are you?

honourablegeorge

Like the swift. didn’t like the proposed “cream” colour, that green is better.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

El Mar!

sneakyg4
    Free Member

5’10 but short legs, 28in inside leg. My other bikes have 16-17inch frames.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Karate monkey ……I’m 5’10 ..with short legs …and had a small …it was perfect

nikk
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Highball Aluminium. Run it with 120mm forks. Great frame, solid and versatile with clever swappable dropouts for running singlespeed!

emac65
    Free Member
    takisawa2

You know, two years ago I was in the same position.
    El -Mar
    Swift
    Pace RC129

Oh, the sleepless nights. 🙂

Then, that bikemonger bloke goes & sticks a gorgeous kermit SIR.9 in his email…

So, knock off the costcutter / sell a kidney, & buy a SIR.9

orangeboy
    Free Member

My el mar is a keeper.
    It’s great for most things

Had drop bars on it for a while , had it with and with out a sus fork
    Geared ss and currently with a rohloff for the winter

It’s comfy and just munches the miles.
    My only issue it’s just a little less fun in the twisty single track if I’m really pushing flat out compared to my 26 ht
    But for every day use is not be without it

shortcut

The Highball gets my vote. I’ve been running 100mm and done most Scottish trail centres, the Welsh ones and done some XC racing etc. Currently running It singlespeed and awaiting a second one to run geared such is my enthusiasm for it.

ff29

FF29. I am 5’8. They recommend sizing down on a 29er if you on the cusp of small/medium. Have the small frame. Cracking Bike.Great value when you buy the frame and the fork. Very fast can handle trail very well and with a bit of gentle bodging even fits in BiKnd bike bag for trips to dry sunny Greece. Sigh ….

ff29

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151886182218582&l=3df63c89f9

Here is a pic. Don’t buy the black. For some reason no matter how hard you try they just look naff. My mate went with the black and regretted it.

ratherbeintobago

Brant?

Say his name three times in a thread, and he shall appear…

Gotama
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden one but isn’t the ff29 quite a stiff frame and therefore maybe not ideal for long bike packing days?

I’m another fan of the swift, great frame and love mine, think the new one comes with a fork that can take a knard too.

ff29

Brendan actually! Yes it is fairly stiff bit in a good way. I agree you cant beat carbon for all day comfort, not to mention light. I crash a lot so steer clear of carbon at the moment. That is a beautiful frame (Swift)! Where do you buy it? I googled in vain, albeit not to hard!

brant
    Free Member

A brand new on-one model coming in the spring, called Parkwood. 29er hardtail, huge clearances, fun geometry, frames and full bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Am I on the right track? Do it all 29er frames.’ is closed to new replies.