Viewing 39 posts - 121 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • am i missing the point??
  • bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

Aren't we missing the bigger point that these talentless middle aged wannabes are making the sport look so uncool?

no need to get personal – i'm doing my best 😥

alpin
    Free Member

juan, i'm not upset that people spend lots of money on flashy bikes. just surprised they do so without much technical skill to complement their ride. maybe the cost of the TF Tuned shock would have been better spent on a skills day, or more time spent learning how to ride a drop before forking out for that FS frame that takes away an element of skill needed to ride certain terrain.

i too – like a poster earlier – blame the mags. "the perfect trail machine with 120mm front and rear…"
    "if you're riding drops do XYZ to your rear shock…" arrrrgh! what if i don't have a rear shock? what if i only have a 100mm HT?

oh, and my bike cost more than 2000€ to put together. more like 2700€, i think.

i'm not near Nice (unless i get very lost). Germany, Austria and Italy is where i'll be riding.

oh, and something tells me you're not all that crap on a bike.

juan
    Free Member

Alpin, one group god like rider is another group average bloke…

alpin
    Free Member

true. t'was a little tongue-in-cheek, juan….

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

When you buy wine do you buy the cheapest? because it gets you pissed like the rest of them.

NO so why should you buy a cheap bike because you have just started riding, maybe because it makes you feel good, gives you a smoother ride and gives you a big smile.

I work in Engineering and since i started at my current place of work i have got a few guys into riding they have all spent over a grand on bikes, First bikes because they appriciate the technology and work that has gone into them, only 1 of 4 got up the first climb at Dalby but everyone of them had an awesome day.

JOB DONE

ooOOoo
    Free Member

thank you frizzer finally someone talking sense other than being stroppy

Stroppy is the best description I've ever heard on here 😀 nice one

benji_allen
    Free Member

When you buy wine do you buy the cheapest? because it gets you pissed like the rest of them.

er…..yeah. 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

HT riders buy cider in plastic containers 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

I know and seen riders on cheap hardtails shoot past full susser £2K jobbies.

Same on the roadbike- cheap giveaway steel 1960s roadbike, fit rider and pi55es over Trek £4K Madone.

Some will buy a nice bike because they can and why not.

Some are trying to better their riding ability as their ability is 5hite so buy full suss.

If I had a Ferrari-it would be used for Tesco shopping and the track.

Why don't we just buy Apollos? because we have choice and reason.

To think about why -life is too short.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

haha… you have taken this completly out of context..

Are you suggesting that people should have a variety of bikes? One for Leith Hill, One for Scotland, One for riding DH tracks? Many people may only be able to afford one decent bike and so they try to strike a balance – without sanctimonious c**t like you starting threads about it on a biking forum simply to feed their own egos.

i said i was talking to people there WHO ONLY RIDE AT LEITH HIL WITH THESE BIKES

i didnt say if u was riding other places

donkey boy

Talkemada
    Free Member

How do you know they only ride at Leith Hill?

They might also ride in Epping Forest, Swinley and the woods behind Nationwide in Swindon.

alpin
    Free Member

nick, i don't think you're doing much to endear yourself to others on this forum. make observations and such but don't get all shouty whilst sitting up on your horse.

johnny_met
    Free Member

Are you suggesting that people should have a variety of bikes? One for Leith Hill, One for Scotland, One for riding DH tracks?

Presumably if the limiting factor on Leith Hill is the wannabe riding it, then the problem is only going to be increased riding in Scotland?

Following the logic of posters on here that taking an mtb off-road is like taking a performance car to a track session, then wouldn't you look a tool if you could only pootle around the track at 30 mph in a performance car with all and sundry overtaking you? It's kind of willy-waving in reverse ie – look at me even with all of this assistance I can still only manage this p!ss poor performance…

Talkemada
    Free Member

nick, i don't think you're doing much to endear yourself to others on this forum. make observations and such but don't get all shouty whilst sitting up on your horse.

Could be worse, Alpin. He could be advocating the gassing and burning of 'Undesirables'…

ocrider

Wow, what a shocker.
    Nick sees loads of 2 grand bikes being used on a weekend day in Surrey of all the places. Who would have thought it!

As for cheap wine:

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Following the logic of posters on here that taking an mtb off-road is like taking a performance car to a track session, then wouldn't you look a tool if you could only pootle around the track at 30 mph in a performance car with all and sundry overtaking you? It's kind of willy-waving in reverse ie – look at me even with all of this assistance I can still only manage this p!ss poor performance…

Indeed, but it seems many people are quite happy to use "I'm rich" as an emotional backup in such situations.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Nick_Christy – Member

i got a more expensive bike than £600 i was using that as a example of what we were all riding yday when i borrowed the bike from a friend.

You obviously don't need this more expensive bike then do you, you sanctimonious ****.

johnny_met
    Free Member

I suppose it's a bit like a kid wanting to dress up like an astronaut, a footballer or a superhero. If you've got the cash you can buy the mtb pro look.

That's mountain biking for you – you get the cool* look without having to work for it; no apprentiship required.

* replace the 'c' with a 't' as required.

atlaz
    Free Member

You obviously don't need this more expensive bike then do you, you sanctimonious ****.

He does because he's a better rider than everyone he saw riding anything more advanced than a penny-farthing and also he shreds the gnar in the alps rather than the surrey hills. Apparently.

juan
    Free Member

Well atlaz I could put up my experience of english riders shreding the gnar on the alps but then I am not sure a lot of people will like it…
    On the other hand what would I know I ride a more than 660€ bike… 😉

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

"i said i was talking to people there WHO ONLY RIDE AT LEITH HIL WITH THESE BIKES"

How the **** do you know where they all ride?

In all the time I've been riding on the hills I have never come across anyone who solely rides on leith hill, or the Surrey hills in general. This leads me make the assumption that you're a complete **** tool.

rs
    Free Member

Nick_Christy I ride a hardtail on the north shore in Vancouver, that makes you a pussy for riding a full suss in the alps 🙄

Dancake
    Free Member

I have a Posh full Susser and a 456 that cost 300 quid to build. I might be a bit faster on the FS but not 1000 quid faster! I ride the 456 more, too (to work, out with the dogs..up the beacon from work)

So why did I buy it?

I bought it 'cos I thought it was pretty

naokfreek
    Free Member

shreds the gnar

😉

Talkemada
    Free Member

That's a bloody good reason to buy something, if you ask me!

Dancake wins! 😀

pastcaring
    Free Member

were these over biked people having fun? i think thats the only thing that matters!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

That's a bloody good reason to buy something, if you ask me!

Dancake wins!

+1

I also like "the wife said i could"

I also do as i'm told. 😆

isnilloc
    Free Member

My bikes cost me 3k (overs the years) now its worth about 300 SH.

Therefore one can wipp asses having spent 3k on a bike. or one can just buy a bike for 300 SH and still wup someones ass. So whether one spends 3000 or 300 one call still ass wipp and enjoy the wonderful sport of mountain biking.

So which begs the question if one can wipp an ass on a 3k bike and on a 300 quid bike…..why on earth would you pay 600?

Talkemada
    Free Member

So which begs the question if one can wipp an ass on a 3k bike and on a 300 quid bike…..why on earth would you pay 600?

Over to you, Mr Christy….

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Very poor troll, but to stretch it to 4 pages takes the piss. 😉

sofatester
    Free Member

Make it stop!

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Sorry to rake this one up, but the answer has just come to me!!

Add up all the RRP's of all the bikes produced, divide by the number of bikes available to find the price of "a bike" and then have a massive skills session to see who gets what, best rider getiing highest RRP bike before they were all changed to be the same price!!

There's always a logical answer 😉

alpin
    Free Member

but surely the 'winner' of the most expensive bike doesn't need such an expensive bike as a skills compensator…..

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Oh no, what have I done 😯

I should have kept quiet 😆

louis1978uk
    Free Member

Can see your point yeah u have ur 600 quid bike i have my 2.5k stump fsr and yes u maybe a tad faster but ill guarentee you my spine doesnt feel like its about to snap or my muscles arent bunched up after 8-09 hours riding yes its far m0re than most of us need but ill also guarentee you that plushness the looks there worth every penny,also if you do wanna go crazy ull be left for dust on ur hard tail at the end of the day.i also ride a marin hard tail but 5" of full sus is just so plush why batter urself when u can ride a sofa

alpin
    Free Member

if you do wanna go crazy ull be left for dust on ur hard tail

not necessarily…..

Talkemada
    Free Member

Can see your point yeah u have ur 600 quid bike i have my 2.5k stump fsr and yes u maybe a tad faster but ill guarentee you my spine doesnt feel like its about to snap or my muscles arent bunched up after 8-09 hours riding yes its far m0re than most of us need but ill also guarentee you that plushness the looks there worth every penny,also if you do wanna go crazy ull be left for dust on ur hard tail at the end of the day.i also ride a marin hard tail but 5" of full sus is just so plush why batter urself when u can ride a sofa

Could Babelfish translate this? Any ideas? 🙄

alpin
    Free Member

you = u

i'd like to know how much time people save by not hitting those first two keys…..

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I know and seen riders on cheap hardtails shoot past full susser £2K jobbies.

Same on the roadbike- cheap giveaway steel 1960s roadbike, fit rider and pi55es over Trek £4K Madone.

I'm sure this happens but I've never seen it. IME the opposite is usually true.

Viewing 39 posts - 121 through 159 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘am i missing the point??’ is closed to new replies.