Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Am I mental – chucking job in and going full sandal and beard content
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

There’s a hoose for sale round near us. It’s a LOT of money (by my standards) but we could just about get a mortgage and it has a holiday let and I reckon room for a couple of yurts/sex sheds in an orchard. The missus is luke warm. I reckon if we got the yurts in I could jack the corporate hell/life and become a stick whittler or some-shit. Should I go for it?

phy7tes
    Free Member

Do it, never try, never know. Sex sheds in an orchard sounds very profitable!

Clobber
    Free Member

do it, life is too short for the corporate bollox

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Do it.
    What’s the worst that can happen?
    Better to have tried and failed than failed to try.

noltae
    Free Member

Do it! Whittling Sticks > Greasy Pole !

sandwicheater

Maybe.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What they say

In life we regret what we dont do more than we regret what we do do

If it helps I know someone who hires Yurts so may be able to get you some advice- assuming you are not in the lakes as he wont help a competitor.

kayak23

Do it. People always want apples….and sex.

Apple Orchard Glamping Site – ‘So good it Yurts!…’

You can have that for free…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

in the lakes unfortunately

thestabiliser
    Free Member

….Well fortunately for a holiday let, but you get the drift

zelak999
    Free Member

If you have done the sums and reckon you can make it pay then go for it!
    You’ll always regret it if don’t try.
    Not sure i could handle the random strangers renting my yurts/holiday lets etc.
    I’m too OCD for that!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

‘So good it Yurts!..

..is a trademark of stabiliser holiday holdings limited any unauthorised use of which will lead to legal action and a swift hoof in the slats

perchypanther
    Free Member

Apple iYurt?
    Nobodys lawyers would have a problem with that….

the-muffin-man

Cost it out…

Big Mortgage cost.
    Cost of Yurts and upkeep.
    Cost of additional toilets, showers, taps, leccy etc.
    Cost of insurance.
    Cost of planning permission.
    Cost of promoting business.
    …20% extra for unseen costs!

If it adds up – go for it! 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The world needs more sex yurts and stick whittlers. Do it.

honeybadgerx

You could press the apples and call it ‘love juice’ and sell it to holidayers as an over-priced aphrodisiac.

jamj1974

sex shed

?

What the hell is a sex shed?

perchypanther
    Free Member

What you want are some of these….

Kelo Lodge

Stick them in the orchard and get some uber-fast fibre optic broadband installed to them .

Then market the experience as …..

Kelo Lodge Fruit and Fibre.

Nobodys lawyers will have a problem with that.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yeah, burn your bridges for a dream – that’s a great idea 🙂

Personally Id not risk the basics for that dream. Don’t risk your marriage / house / income for strangers paying you to sleep in a tent in your garden.

If you want a dream go and ride your bike somewhere amazing, plan a proper adventure to take your mind off the rat race.

Or just get a different job so you don’t feel its a corporate hell hole.

zippykona

Do hippy dippy weddings. They cost a fortune.

jimdubleyou

Go for it, if you can put up with N+1 never happening. Again. Ever.

bearnecessities

What the hell is a sex shed?

Outdoor erection.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Only one way to find out.

bearnecessities

Fight?

SaxonRider

Clobber – Member
    do it, life is too short for the corporate bollox

This.

You really must do it.

thenorthwind

A friend and I made tracks to go down this route a few years ago, but never fully committed, regretfully. Kept up full-time jobs, so only got as far as building a yurt, and couldn’t find anywhere viable to site it. Now we’re looking to sell it and move on. It’s lovingly built with almost everything handmade, with lots of local and reclaimed materials. We may have overdone it. I can give you more details if you like, email in my profile.

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t risk your marriage / house / income for strangers paying you to sleep in a tent in your garden.

It’s a good job some people do, otherwise there would be no campsites/ holiday lets/ yurt sites etc etc etc.

How dull would that be.

nealglover
    Free Member

If it helps I know someone who hires Yurts

Doesn’t sound like it will help the OP

But it might help me, looking for a weekend away in the Lakes. Can you let me kve the details please ?

njee20
    Free Member

Based on what we paid to have two yurts for our wedding it’s incredibly lucrative!

DezB
    Free Member

Crap, I’d do it in a flash!
    Currently looking for a way out of the corporate bollox meself. (Well, i’ve been booted out of it, but a way to stay out 🙂 )

bearnecessities

Yurt hired yourself out?

DaRC_L

Is there good MTBing nearby?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Corporate life sucks, leave now and go for it.

Marin
    Free Member

Do it or send me the link for house and I’ll think about it

benpinnick

Yes but before you do write yourself a business plan. You need to prove to a greater extent that it can be done. Doing something like this means a lot of hard work for you both, you need your other half on board, and the best way to do that will be to convince her (through the medium of sensible spreadsheets, achievable targets etc.) that its viable. Women don’t think like men, get her on board now or face a world of pain later. A good business plan will help you understand how spending money on things you don’t need on day 1 (like fancy yurts when you could get a cheaper/easier to maintain pod) will quickly lead to the demise of your business.

My number one tip for doing something like this is to realise quickly that spending money is the best way to go bust. The less money you can spend the more likely you are to make it work. Running out of money is the #1 killer for businesses (this sounds obvious but trust me its not). No matter what your most optimistic predictions say its very hard to find things in business where spending a £1 generates you £2 – but its really easy to spend that £1.

If you want a leg up in forming a plan – http://www.liveplan.com is a great way to do it.

Good luck and if you do it, do me a favour and build a fence around your pods/yurts. As the proud owner of a 2 year old boy I will come and stay as long as I know that I don’t have to watch him like a hawk all the time. I never understand why people don’t figure this out!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Is there good MTBing nearby?

Oh yes.

DaRC_L

Well then Benpinnick + 1 get out of the corporate rat trap

trailhound101

Where’s the beard content 😕

thestabiliser
    Free Member

That do?

brooess
    Free Member

As a slight aside, I’m job hunting now – been contracting for 4 years as a way to survive (I get sacked from corporate jobs somehow – I think I’m too nice and honest!) and almost every recruiter is asking if I’ll also consider perm, and I’m finding it hard to find many contract vacancies.
    I get the feeling a whole swathe of the population are trying to get out of the corporate life… hence no candidates for perm roles and the contract vacancies already taken. This is London, in Marketing.

I’m also working through an executive coaching qualification and we have to work with practice clients. Both clients so far have said they want a greater sense of purpose in their jobs and are tired of the corporate nonsense.

VW is just an e.g. of how immoral/flawed the corporate environment can make otherwise normal people become…

I sense something in the air at the moment – corporates are going to have to sort themselves out and offer interesting jobs, at decent pay, with decent line managers, or there’ll be no-one left willing to work for them. I believe the Millenials are pushing hard for this too, it’s not just us middle-aged and established cohort…

OP – get a proper business plan together and be absolutely sure there’s a sustainable living in it. Bearing in mind the UK consumer is not very well off, and with what looks like a global slowdown/recession on the way, the next few years are likely to be a bit sparse on the spare cash – although this may mean people go on holiday in the UK more and abroad less, so may play to your favour

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Am I mental – chucking job in and going full sandal and beard content’ is closed to new replies.