Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Am I massively over estimating my bike's value?
  • prawny

I’ve had my bike up for sale on here and bikeradar few a days. I’ve estimated its worth as £650. Cost me about a grand in total a couple of years ago. Looking on ebay, people are asking for similar or more on similar specced bikes but I’ve not had any interest so far, not even a silly low offer.

I accept it’s not a big name brand so I won’t get top dollar for it, but what should I be asking?

Any advice welcome.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Put it on Ebay at 99p starting
    You will soon discover its true value

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The more obscure/less desirable the harder the sell.
    In the second hand market your bike is worth what somebody wants to pay you for it. The less people who want your bike the longer you will have to wait for them to find it and make an offer.

Look at ebay sold items for a better view on what they are going for.

Look at splitting if you want to get rid of it quick or hold on. After that price drops.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Typical valuation seems to be 55% of original value after first year, then dropping by 10% each subsequent year. Entirely dependent on brand/spec/condition though. Edited as I’ve just seen it’s a road bike – I’d say the relatively unknown brand won’t help.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

probably.

I’d be assuming something like
    Half RRP in first year.
    Minus another 10% of RRP for every year beyond that.
    ie reducing to almost zero at 6 years old.

A bit more for something that’s popular (Orange 5 say)
    A bit less for no-name stuff

nemesis
    Free Member

This isn’t ebay. Ebay has fees to consider and people do get carried away by the thrill of the chase.

50% after a year, 10% thereafter is a good, realistic guide. Unfortunately.

Is it the “Large Verenti Rhigos 0.4”?

Assuming so, it’s an obscure brand, road bike and from the description not in fantastic condition. Also, the pics aren’t current so it’s hard to know what it really looks like. Also you don’t want to post so that’ll limit your market.

I reckon £300-£400 would be more realistic.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d be assuming something like
    Half RRP in first year.
    Minus another 10% of RRP for every year beyond that.
    ie reducing to almost zero at 6 years old.

10% of the residual value each year, not another 10% off the RRP is a far better guide IMO. You can’t generally get a 5 year old £5k bike for £500, unless it’s trashed!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Unheard of brand…good luck, I’d say £400 odds.

prawny

Cheers chaps.

I’ll take new pics and repost later.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the other trick is to start a thread asking these questions and post a link for more hits on the ad 😉 😉

prawny
    oliverracing

I found out adding the mileage (unless sub 100) seems to drop the value quite a bit – couldn’t sell a bike last year with 900 genuine miles, so relisted with just a few specs (rushed job) and got 3 people after it quite quickly.

EDIT: also being willing to post it will open you target market up ten fold

hora
    Free Member

Its a 3yr(?) old roadbike for not much less than a decent new PlanetX or Ribble. Thats the problem. With the unknown brands people (rightly or wrongly) might assume its a budget brand/stickered up Chinese carbon frame etc etc. Maybe not right but theres alot of new bike competition out there with good groupsets.

It comes down to …would you be jhappy to sell it for say £400?

Either that or risk Ebay. Its coming upto Summer so people should be going crazy- remember to take LOTS of hi-res detailed pics. That will always sway someone who is unsure.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Also, a lot of people have access to cycle to work now which means the real cost of a new £1000 bike is close to £500 for many.

A bit less for no-name stuff

A lot less. On ebay many people search for brand so no-name stuff just gets missed.

njee20
    Free Member

I found that years ago trying to sell a (pre Planet X) Titus – unless you do that really annoying thing on eBay of “Titus Racer-X like SpecializedTrekGiantMarinScottSantaCruz” no one finds it, just don’t get the views.

EDIT: also being willing to post it will open you target market up ten fold

This is a huge one too, don’t sound so relucant: “happy to post, add £30”. People will travel for a bargain/something rare, they won’t for a brand they’ve never heard of and a bike that’s nothing special in the value stakes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If the ad didn’t have a price I’d be guessing around the 350 mark.

finbar
    Free Member

If the ad didn’t have a price I’d be guessing around the 350 mark.

Really?

Have you seen any other ads for carbon roadbikes for £350?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t really see that frame material has much to do with it these days. Loads of cheap carbon framed bikes out there.

hora
    Free Member

The other issue is people who will (most likely) be buyers for you would be newish to roady riding. They’ll rely more on online reviews (I was). The problem with your bike is – are there any reviews?

I’d sell it for 450 OR keep it as a winter training hack. It’d be criminal to sell it for less……unless you got it on cycle to work scheme yourself…..

mrblobby
    Free Member

If someone is willing to pay 450 I’d sell it quick!

Think Hora has is though, for that money it’ll be someone fairly new to road riding who won’t want to go for some obscure carbon frame (unless it’s an absolute bargain then it might be worth a risk). Maybe someone might buy it as a winter bike, but they’d tend to go for something more obviously winter trainer-ish.

prawny

Nope, paid cash for it at the end of 2011. Bought the wheels the following spring.

I’m not riding on the road any more though so I’m going to sell it. The more I can get for it the better the new MTB I can get. It’s not looking fantastic though 😡

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sell the new wheels seperately and put the old wheels back on. You’ll probably get more overall.

prawny

I did think about that, old wheels need a hub service first but could be a goer if I get no more interest this week. Looks better with the original wheels too tbh.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Am I massively over estimating my bike's value?’ is closed to new replies.