Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Am I mad to turn this down?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Don't worry – there's no such thing as a soul, ergo – you don't have one.

Go for the money. You know you want to… 😈

luke
    Free Member

The partnership is something you've wanted for a while, and briefly had a while back.
    Would you be happy in the quango in 6-12 months time?

ourmaninthenorth

Tell him you'll take partnership for another £30k without the car but with a guaranteed entry into the equity in 12 months.

Also, be mindful of the fact that, as a salaried partner, you are in the worst possible situation: self employed in the eyes of HMRC, pension providers, healthcare providers, etc., but with none of the benefits of owning a slce of the firm or having any real say in it.

Good luck..!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Take the offer, whats the worst that can happen?

If it stays crap go looky for another job, if it starts changing for the better who knows, it could've been worth it

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

You go to work to earn money, not to have a fantastic time, or else you'd be working on sub 5k a year serving drinks on a tropical beach.

That 12k gets a lot of mountain bike fun, family fun, holidays ect which is why we're here! God didn't put you on this earth to enjoy your job to the detriment of your hobbies or home life.

Anyway in the present market, there's no guarantee you won't be redundant in 12m and the issue resolves itself, or that you go elsewhere and they close in 3 months.

I'd stick it out for the extra 1k a month (which is more than half the posters here earn IN a month).

1k a month gets you custom built ti frames, and a lot of flights to sunny places to use it!

redthunder
    Free Member

“I’m beginning to think that my lawyer is too interested in making money.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Listen to this from his bill: ‘For waking up at night and thinking about your case: £25?.”

shooterman

I wake up every morning and my stomach turns over at the thought of going into the place. I'm afraid to take a holiday as you get "punished" for taking time off ie they do an MI5 job on your files and you know you're coming back to a week of criticism.

I think there are a few bitches in the place who hide behind the chief bitch and they will continue to be bitches after she's gone.

The other worry is new business. I just don't think there's enough to sustain current staffing levels in the medium term. This could be very short lived!

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I wake up every morning and my stomach turns over at the thought of going into the place

I've been there. Get the f*ck out. Really, life's too short.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Life is way too short to be miserable.

I have come to this conclusion the last couple of weeks, and am now trying to sort my own life out (well, realiseds it about 6 months ago, but hate hurting people). Mine is relationship based, yours is work based – same difference really – got to do what makes you happy in this life.

Trust me – I have been brushing at the edges of a breakdown and repression from the wrong side. Not going to let that happen again.

ourmaninthenorth

I wake up every morning and my stomach turns over at the thought of going into the place.

Out, out, out.

Law firms do this to you. Here it is (and I know you know this already): legal advice is all about risk allocation. Lawyers are, therefore, required to be risk averse. Careers require a degree of risk taking. Lawyers just find this so hard.

I speak from experience.

On the basis it is as you describe, I'll do a u-turn on my previous advice. Go. Have a life. Believe me, there is so much more to a legal career than getting sh*t on in a firm.

konabunny
    Free Member

I wake up every morning and my stomach turns over at the thought of going into the place.

Unless you would be in a position to change the corporate culture, it'll just kill you in the end. Speak to a headhunter before you go straight to the Quango.

Bream
    Free Member

Been in a similar position, I would ask what is your mental state, are you feeling totally weak for all the crap or would you feel strong to sweep changes through to make the place better.

I felt totally demotivated and knackered mentally from all the crap so left and started fresh somewhere else, definately the right decision as the old company are still in the same crap state now 2.5 years on.

Money is only good some of the times, being happy and positive is priceless 😉

Your call.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OMITN what did you change to?

IainGillam
    Free Member

A gent called Maslov did a study on what motivates people Here Have a look and see where your current job is will the new offer shift you up the pyramid if not it wont be more enjoyable. Money is a low motivator and hence if the new offer is only an increase in pay it wont do much for you.

Iain

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Stay and make life miserable for the rotten cow and her cohorts

Or is her attitude due to a failed relationship with you, in which case go and don't look back

ourmaninthenorth

OMITN what did you change to?

In-house. Technology/communications company. I was a corporate lawyer, so generic transferable skills, but completely lacking in the technical sense.

7 weeks in and I can't believe I didn't do it years ago. Small team (three of us in my particular part of the business – no more than a dozen lawyers across the whole company). Work is challenging, the concept of a "client" is completely different and the opportunity to have a genuine and involved impact on what the business does is much more satisfying than the arms' length world of chargeable hours and business development.

From my experience, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

shooterman

No failed relationship with me – failed relationship with the boss. I'm happily married.

Finchie85
    Free Member

Take the money and the car and enjoy yourself!! End of!!

shooterman

Turned down the offer of partnership today. Starting my new job on 5th Juuly.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Congratulations. My original advice was to take the money, but seing your comment about dreading going in to work makes me think you've done the right thing. Let us know how it goes.

shooterman

Thanks. Immediately thought I was mad to walk away from so much money but I know in the long run it's the right thing to do.

The breaking point was when I was told by the practice manager that I was to be replaced with someone less experienced. I was then forced by her to interview the candidate. Turns out the boss knew nothing of it. The most humiliating experience of my life.

big_scot_nanny

was reading this with Interest shooterman, and FWIW, I think you've definitely done the right thing.

Nice one. Enjoy!

kev

DickBarton

Money doesn't make you happy – but it certainly helps!

Another £12k could probably help make things better and the car would be a nice to have…

How long would this 'happiness' last? As a Partner would you being doing less of the work you hate or more?

In utopia I'd say do the job that makes you happy…as long as your bills are paid then go for it…as this isn't utopia I'd be having a serious think about how long I could stomach the dislike as I'd see the wage increase as a real help…

I'm too practical for my own good…my own 'belief' is to do the job you enjoy, but I'm also of the opinion that you need to do work to cover off your bills – ideally you can find both and go for it…but if not, compromise is needed…

Good luck.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Go Work to live not live to work and money ain't everything.

myheadsashed

Work in a horrible atmosphere

be happy or end up in an early grave for a few quid you'll probably spend on sh1te – not really much of a debate 😉

Pieface

Sounds like you did the right thing.

Money is tempting but will only make you happy in the old job if you're using it for something else. Money / material items become 'habituated' and they become boring once the novelty ahs worn off.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Good on you mate, at first I was all for taking the money as you hadn't actually said you hated it on a personal level I thought it was more on the "I'm treated like a monkey" level not "I'm treated like dirt".

I know I could earn more in the private sector as a project manager type but after six months working for a venture capital fund I learnt what workplace bullying and utter misery really feels like.

Now I use my skills in the public sector to shift cops and council workers about to make things better for people and feel so much more invigorated (if a little scared of the new Govt)

nedrapier

Congratulations! Sounds like it was an easy decision in the end.

How does it feel? Weight off your shoulders? Can't stop smiling?

Have you got a long notice period to work, or are you gardening?

shooterman

He tried to persuade me to stay again while I was confirming I wanted to leave. really felt, on a personal level, I was letting him down. I have no issues at all with the owner, it's the manager who is a problem. In fact, it's really just a coven of three witches who have ruined the entire workplace for everyone.

Forcing me to interview someone who she told me was being brought in to take my job is just psycho stuff and will lead to an early grave if that persists.

As I was telling him I was thinking of all that money just evaporating in front of me but I know I'm doing the right thing.

Still there, working my notice.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good man – a life is worth more than money. Have you looked at the hours you worked yet and the amount of holidays? going to a 35 hr week with good holidays will make a huge difference if you are used to 50+ hr weeks.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Can you not stitch up the coven as a little leaving gift?
    Just be honest and say you would have stayed but they make it impossible. You've got nothing to lose unlike your boss who has just lost a valuable employee he was willing to throw money at to get to stay.

ourmaninthenorth

Life outside law firms is ace.

Good choice and good luck..! 😀

ART

Read this the other day – really pleased to hear your choice. It's been said, but really all the money in the world will not help a soul destroying situation that over time would only progressively undermine you personally and professionally. Don't even get me going on the health implications of the situation you described. A change will be great. My experience is that even if this change doesn't turn out to be the long term thing you are looking for, it's a stepping stone away from what, for you, had become an intolerable situation and allows you to move towards something better. Good luck, it's the right decision, don't look back. 😀

shooterman

This forum can be very caustic at times but I really am grateful for the input on this one. I know there are probably people who think I've made the wrong decision but won't post that point of view.

I sat at home last night and realised I've made a decision that will have a massive effect on the rest of my life. Scary.

I also counted ten occastions on which I've been offered either a job with a fixed timescale for partnership, salaried partnership or equity partnership in a new firm. I made the decision to go into partnership once which was the worst professional and financial decision of my life.

I'm a crap judge of character and I have to accept that which means either working alone or in an organistation with plenty of policies and procedures to protect from the unscrupulous.

ken_shields
    Free Member

More money and a car is a very short term incentive. IME if someone is fed up enough to have gone to all the hassle of job hunting, interviews, etc they're probably v p!ssed off about something. Unless the "something" is sorted then waving a carrot at someone will only delay their departure.

I am also of the opinion that if an organisation suddenly feels that you're indispensible and has to pay you a pile of money to get you to stay then they've been taking the p!ss out of you and under paying you anyway. If you wanted more money you'd have probably asked for it before this point anyway

shooterman

AAARRRGGGHHH! He just spent three hours trying to persuade me to stay and added an offer of equity partnership within 2 years. FFS my head's wrecked!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Did you explain abbout the witches?

Frankly unless you explain honestly whhy your going that place is always going to be the same.

shooterman

Yes. Set out a plan to get rid of chief witch without being sued.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

shooterman – you have made your decision – stick with it. You know its the right one.

Do tell him the real reason why you are leaving tho – and leave.

ART

OK, stay calm, take a walk around the block. You are obviously a smart, hard working guy as a number of opportunities have come your way over the course of your career. And the key point to know is THEY WILL AGAIN …oops sorry for shouting. Decision making and change is hard for a reason, you are railing against a whole set of conventions and expectations that you've been hoovering up over the years and they've become embedded deeply within you. It feels risky and scary as hell to be saying no to all of that. As TJ says stay with it, and have the courage of your convictions. As I said before, this isn't the end. If you decide this move is not right in the long term, you'll make another one – only the next time it will be easier because you know it's possible. Oh – and with witches there really are only a few permanent solutions and last I looked big boiling pots and dunking chairs aren't really allowed any more. 😉 Hang in there.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Am I mad to turn this down?’ is closed to new replies.