• This topic has 88 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Am I just being anal* (king not lined up content)
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

*Read annoying

First world problems I know but got new headset fitted today (don’t have a headset press of my own) and I guess I assumed that if you had something with matching logos you’d just match them up? Cost me £15 which was more than other places but happy to support a small lbs. I noticed it immediately and didn’t say anything but it’s already starting to bug me.

Given the headbadge needs reattached, the cable adjusters don’t match, the outers need trimmed and looks like an allsort I should probably just get over it but the other bits will get sorted soon. And that headset will always look like that. Forever.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pink cables
    POS bike
    1st world problems
    Rule 5
    Shall I continue?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Big set of stilsons would sort it.

allthepies
    Free Member

If you wanted alignment then you should have specified that beforehand IMO 🙂

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Find a skip

fontmoss
    Free Member

Rorschach, are you suggesting the Lemon(d) is a piece of sh*t bike?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’re worried about headset alignment when your bike looks like that?

I call troll.

matthew_h
    Free Member

It’s just a big lack of attention to detail from the shop. Very poor show in my opinion

Merak

It doesnt really matter but I can empathise. Do you know anyone with a headset press? Id sort it for you but your not in Glasgow eh? 🙂

gearfreak
    Free Member

Go back to LBS with a large pack of biscuits, explain you are an anal ijit and ask politely if they would mind refitting the cups lined up. They may laugh at you, but will probably re-do it for you.

(Although I agree they *should* have lined them up in the first place)

v10
    Free Member

Probably my no1 attention to detail pet hate on bike builds is a non-aligned headset! Regardless of the cables i couldn’t live with that. Shoddy job.

juan
    Free Member

Although I agree they *should* have lined them up in the first place

Well not if he has not specified it…
    See I like my heat set not to be aligned, but rather to have the marking to be equidistant from the middle of the head tube.

Northwind

I’d expect it to be straight tbh, doesn’t take any time to do it right.

But tbf I would also look at your bike and conclude you don’t care what it looks like.

ThePinkster

Has this LBS taken on a new Saturday-boy recently? Looks like it.

If it was mine I’d be well pee’d off.

Mind you, if that bike was mine I think I’d have spent my money elsewhere first. 😉

rbrstr
    Free Member

This isnt anal, its called attention to detail. £90 on a king headset and they put it in on the piss? name and shame!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Not in 100 years would the shop owner think the op was anal about the look of his bike with the state of hat car crash, even if I got the headset for free I wouldn’t fit it and mi Scottish. I’m not even going near the cables. In fact I no longer want to all about it, as I am scared I wake up in he middle of the night in a cold sweat crying for my mum.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Not a troll and yes it needs some tlc but after the winter it’ll have new cables and hopefully I’ll have found the right size screws for the headbadge. It will also get a new groupset at the end of next year all being well. To be fair it’s decent given it cost me about £500 to build it up and it’s ti and carbon.

Not in Glasgow Merak – I’d have a few options for getting it sorted there but ta for the offer.

I’m going to ask them nicely tomorrow.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I always lined them up when I working in a shop and I totally agreed with you when I read the post…

However…

I’ve changed my mind now I’ve seen the pic (sorry).

fontmoss
    Free Member

In happier (cleaner at least) times

Bregante

I honestly have no idea whether the logos on my headset(s) are lined up or not. I’ve never thought to look. Does that make me odd?

rbrstr
    Free Member

fontmoss, does that headset badge need bolts or rivets?

fontmoss
    Free Member

I’ve struggled to get a definitive answer, Lemond victoire 2002 I think? Badge like this

tpbiker
    Free Member

The poster clearly isn’t alone in thinking this is a bit shoddy.

Maybe I’m missing something, but by ‘not aligned’ do you mean the writing is not lined up correctly between top and bottom cup? Is it meant to be!? I wouldn’t have even noticed.

but fair play its your bike.

Merak

To be fair, in an ideal world the mechanic should have pride in his work regardless of whether hes working on a 7k race bike on a £70 shopper. I would have lined the logos up and had them inline with the bar clamp, I would also have chosen a silver King, but Ive got OCD.

Your right to take it back, but as mentioned diplomatically offering a tin of biscuits, although I believe you shouldn’t have to. Mibbe you should have asked that they line them up, mibbe they should have done it as a matter of course.

This is why I do everything myself cant be doing with shoddiness, devils in the detail.

Bike looks good, that first pic is selling it short.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Maybe I’m missing something, but by ‘not aligned’ do you mean the writing is not lined up correctly between top and bottom cup? Is it meant to be!? I wouldn’t have even noticed.

Yeah fitted properly just attention to detail imho

plus if you really want to annoy a customer you just fit them upside down 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Does that make me odd?

No, at least I don’t think so. I’ve got a CK on one bike and I don’t have a clue if it lines up.

davosaurusrex

Nice bike mister. I had a LeMond in ‘cannibal’ orange with the white panels, lovely it was. I do love the internet, one photo that shows hardly any of the bike and everyone’s queueing up to call it a POS and suggest skipping it…..

Anyhoo, I had a King fitted at my LBS a few years back, I asked the mech to make sure the logos were aligned and he was properly offended that I even felt I had to ask. So you should have asked to be certain but also shouldn’t really have had to, take it back.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest, and I’m I right fussy bugger when it comes to most things, but then again I don’t get the whole tyre graphics and valve alignment crap that gets spouted on here

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to offer to fit them upside down on custom builds as it makes no difference to the function, but no one ever took me up on it.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have noticed, wouldn’t care if I had noticed.

ThePinkster

M6TTF – Member
    I don’t get the whole tyre graphics and valve alignment crap that gets spouted on here

Burn the heretic!!!!!

Merak – Member
    I would also have chosen a silver King,

Nah, should have gone for black. 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

Cheers Dave I like it despite the comments! I had a lemond in that colour scheme before and loved it, sold it ages ago and was looking for another when found this frame and forks.

Regarding the king colour I think black or silver would be pretty dull on a black and silver bike. The cables were on offer when building it up but will be black when replaced and the cages will make way for steel king cages when money allows. So the mango will be the only hint of colour at that point.

I guess the moral of the story is if it matters to me then it matters. I shall give them a call tomorrow and ask very nicely if they;d mind changing it. If they do then I’ll wait until back in Scotland to get it sorted but I’ve convinced myself I *need* to change. God knows what that says about me.

New pics to be posted once it’s had a new lease of life, ta for all the comments certainly brightened up a dark November night.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’d have asked them to line it up if I’d spotted it in the shop.

You could still ring them up and ask if they would.

You don’t ask you don’t get.

JRTG
    Free Member

I like to fit CK headsets upside down and out of line. It’s seems to really annoy some people for some reason. We once did it for a customer who was also a friend as he was also logo line up anal, as he was useless with tools it stayed that way and annoyed him for quite some time!

juan
    Free Member

JRTG you made me chuckle :D. I am glad people who actually ride bikes aren’t on STW 😀

bodger
    Free Member

no way I could let that out of the shop. For the record if spacers have logos I line them up as well, And the top cap, It’s not anal, just doing the job properly.

firestarter
    Free Member

Get it back to shop 😉

ourmaninthenorth

Given the headbadge needs reattached, the cable adjusters don’t match, the outers need trimmed

Never nind the bike, what’s your objection to using the words “to be”?

Or are you Scottish (making English a second language)? 😉

JRTG
    Free Member

If my bike came out of the shop with the logos all lined up, I’d have a paddy and insist they take it back and wonk them up. Thankfully I never need to take it to a bike shop and if I did, it would be my mates and would come back messed up with bearings dropped in the tubes and in the bars….

njee20
    Free Member

and I’m I right fussy bugger when it comes to most things, but then again I don’t get the whole tyre graphics and valve alignment crap that gets spouted on here

Contradiction surely… Tyre logos not lined up looks crap. Ditto headset logos. Although agree with Juan that equidistant from head tube centreline often looks better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Am I just being anal* (king not lined up content)’ is closed to new replies.