Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • am i imagining it or have motorcycle prices risen a lot in the last 15-20 yea
  • racefaceec90

rs?

as usual have been dreaming about things i cannot afford.

i know that due to recession e.t.c things are more expensive,BUT even so.

i remember that say mid 90’s a 600cc bike would cost around £5-6000 new,now it’s more like £8-9000.

1000cc bikes £7-8000 then. more like £11-12000 now 🙁

am i talking out of my (beep) or is there some truth to my madness?

at least 30+ % rise.

am just having a hissy fit tbh at not being able to afford one 😉

Markie
    Free Member

That level of rise seems pretty much in line with inflation – maybe even a bit below…

Yes inflation is low now, but you’re talking over a 20 year spread.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

lazybike
    Free Member

If you don’t mind second hand 5-6 grand will get you a nice 07/08 zx10/gsxr1000/r1 etc..lot of performance for the money.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You could win a 90s superbike championship on a new stock bike. I think it’s justifiable.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

CBR600 in 95 was approx £7300 i paid in notes got one for £6500, seems they are still a similar price, only now, cash isn’t King.

chojin
    Free Member

You’re not imagining it.
    In 2007 I bought a brand new ZX6R off the forecourt for £4900.

The same bike now costs nearly 10k!

Secondhand prices have rocketed too.

hora
    Free Member

Is a 600CBR good for a newbie?

bensales
    Free Member

In the mid-Noughties new bike prices were depressed still as a result of the grey import malarky that went on in the 90s. As that glut on new bikes from then dried up on the secondhnad market, secondhand prices started to rise, and with them (and inflation) new prices.

Up until 2008, all of my new bikes (one every couple of years) cost £8000 give or take. Now, as you say, they’re 12, but the last one fetched a secondhand price of £6000. 5 years, and 20k of use for only 2 grand. Bargain.

bensales
    Free Member

That said, I see a new GXS-R1000L4 is 10,500, whereas a new R1 is 12,500. Yamaha are taking the michael there a little. The R1 isn’t 20% better than the GSXR.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Hora, CBR600 can make you think your’e a better rider than you are, handling is sublime.
    Cut my teeth on a cb750f2n, an underated bike in my opinion.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

on the flip side however, Mrs BS just bought a Yam MT07. it seems a hell of a lot of machinery for £5200, compared to my Carbon FS!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There are some stupidly expensive bikes around these days. The amount of £14k+ stuff like BMW GSs and Ducati Multistradas is amazing. But there are some astonishingly capable and fun bikes around the £4-6000 mark thaw days like the Yam MT07 etc.
    Sports bikes have been on the wane in the UK for a long time now. Nobody is buying them anymore because as the average age of bikers gets higher, they don’t want to be in a race tuck all the time, and why bother when you can sit nice and comfortably upright, out of the wind, for 200 miles and still have 150bhp to play with?
    Honda especially are trying to lure new riders off cars as the market is falling with stuff like the NC range. Kawasaki have been doing the same with their 650 twins and Triumph are going to release a 250 soon.
    The market has changed. Sportsbikes are old hat now, the new school is here. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is a 600CBR good for a newbie?

Not really IMO. 600s are all revs. I’ve ridden a couple and thought they felt flat and boring.plenty of speed if you came them but a pig at normal speeds. Get caught in the wrong gear and bugger all happens until you dance on the gear lever looking for 10000 rpm.
    A nice fat midrange is where it’s at for me. I prefer a 75bhp twin to a 110bhp four. More fun. Power you can use but not feel guilty and stuck in the wrong gear if you don’t.
    I can’t think k of a finer first big bike than a Yamaha MT07 or 09 right now

Put it this way, if someone wanted their first road bicycle, would you recommend a TT bike or a sportif bike? Same sort of analogy.

footflaps

When you compare motorbikes with £8k for a hard tail 29er, they seem very good value.

Cannondale FSi – the fast hardtail reinvigorated.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

From reading the mags recently it seems that people are buying these expensive bikes on PCP deals. I just cannot imagine spending £14k on what is essentially a toy. Image how much an R1 would be worth if you commuted on it for a year!
    I’ll stick with my 99 plate Ducati ST4 I think 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rockhopper – we have an ST3s. Wonderful bikes aren’t they? 🙂
    I commute on a Honda NC700X.

Fudd
    Free Member

The prices of all Japanese bikes shot up after 2008 when the Yen started getting a lot stronger. In 2010 new R1’s & ZX10’s etc were almost the same price as a 1098 or S100RR which was madness as the European bikes were always a bit more exotic and expensive. Since then the Jap bikes have stayed pretty much the same price here with a weakening Yen and the Euro bikes have risen with inflation. I was lucky in that I bought my 08 R1 in 2010 just before the price rises started to affect the 2nd hand prices and I reckon I could sell it now for maybe £500 less than the £5.5k I paid for it.

anagallis_arvensis

I think the lack of miles bikes do is shocking. People dont ride the bloody things so second had prices are stupid!

angeldust
    Free Member

Sheer stupidity from the OP. What do you expect over 20 years?!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Yes Peter they are. Had mine for ten years now. Sold it then bought it back as well! It’s done nearly 30k now.

superfli
    Free Member

Fudd has it. It was round about 2008 when prices shot up. However they had not changed much at all in the previous 10 years. It wasnt just sport bikes either:
    http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/high-bike-prices/16037.html

Currency exchange rates were to blame, with the pound being weak compared to yen and euro.

racefaceec90

Sheer stupidity from the OP. What do you expect over 20 years?!

well that’s me told 😉

dai21t
    Free Member

I think the lack of miles bikes do is shocking

Got to agree, I have a 2003 R6 with approx 6000miles on it. Used it 3 times in the last year. Total about 80miles! I prefer spending free time on the weekend on the mountain bike. It does look nice in the garage though.. 🙂

Northwind

You have to keep in mind the differences here, you can’t compare a modern sports bike with a 20 year old street bike. Capability and complexity’s gone up enormously.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘am i imagining it or have motorcycle prices risen a lot in the last 15-20 yea’ is closed to new replies.