Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • am I going to hell… Chainline question
  • bampot
    Free Member

Much as I prefer a 2x setup for my local trails, the purchase of a spectacularly good (and cheap ?) Transition TransAm has “forced” me to go 1x. Nothing I won’t get over after a nice cup of concrete to ‘arden me up, but… I’m still using my 2x cranks (SLX), which could obviously reach all the gears before, but looking at it as a 1x setup, the chainline sure bends over a fair bit to the lower gears. Am I going to hell if I move the bottom bracket spacer over to the left side, centralising the chainring a bit? Still leaves plenty of clearance to the chainstay. Over to the massif…

colournoise

If you’re going to hell then I’m joining you.

I have never been even remotely concerned with chainline when I build a bike. I haven’t died and none of my drivetrains have exploded. Yet.

landslide

Whilst moving the BB spacer may centralise the chainring, won’t it decentralise your legs? You could get some chainring spacers instead. Velosolo do them.

nickdavies

You’ll be fine. Personally i’d space the chainring though. Depending on the size of chainring you’re running anything 32t will benefit from this as the tabs can catch the chain and anything 30 or below will foul so you’ll need to do it.

bampot
    Free Member

Cheers folks,

had already done it, but just wondered if others thought having it run more central to the cassette was worthy. Obviously didn’t matter when it was 2x, ’cause I’d use the full range then (rarely use granny anyway), and not worry about the chainline… currently running with a 34 and all seems good witha 40 on the back (with some grunting ?).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘am I going to hell… Chainline question’ is closed to new replies.