Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Am i consumer?
  • dbcooper
    Free Member

Just got quoted this when applying for membership of a landlords assoc, it has quite put me off as I fit their definition of not a consumer, and probably gives hints to their attitude about customer service. Is their definition correct?
    (Note their competitor states no such thing and in their T&C’s they define you as a consumer and quote SOGA etc)

AM I A CONSUMER?
    If you are a landlord (or prospective landlord) you will only be treated as a consumer if you are a “accidental landlord”. Generally speaking, this means that unless you are renting out your own home where you have lived or a property which you have inherited but cannot sell, you will be regarded as being in business as landlord and will not have the rights of a consumer.

lordlucas
    Free Member

This sounds about right and is pretty standard when dealing with a lot of companies nowadays. Consumers buying products/services from a company have different rights than a business buying products/services from a company.

In my own personal opinion, which goes against the above description, all landlords are effectively “in business” and are therefore exempt from consumer rights. You are taking money in from your tenant (income) and paying out for maintenance, insurance, etc. (expenses) and are left with a profit or loss at the end – whether you are an accidental landlord or not, you are running a form of business.

I wouldn’t see it as a customer service issue, just that you will receive less rights as a commercial/business customer over a consumer customer. This association have spelt it out but the same would probably apply with other associations.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As above, its the same sort of terms you sign up to with cash and carrys when you take trade membership (Makro and/or Costco say this).

Stoner
    Free Member

The tax regime of being a landlord (offsetting costs against income) does not define your status as a business, nor it follows, as a consumer.

The clarification in the T&Cs is a good thing to avoid any mis apprehension about how you will be treated if something doesnt go right in your relationship with the company. I wouldnt see it as being anti-customer or even anti-business in terms of client relations, just being clear.

They have provided some help in defining which type of client you fall into, probably after guidance from HMRC or a legal test case.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Am i consumer?’ is closed to new replies.