Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Am I being unreasonable? [Neighbour content]
  • samuri
    Free Member

So if it was just a wall separating the two gardens, what then?

Obviously that’s no problem at all. The fact that the wall is part of a garage for one party is irrelevant, as I read it, the wall is the boundary in this case, it’s not like the neighbours have had to lean over the six inch boundary to put the trellis up.

I’ve mentioned in passing to our neighbours that we’re doing what we’re doing but I wasn’t asking permission, just letting them know what the drilling sound was.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Contact your local council for advice, from what I remember your boundary responsibility lies to the left of the rear of the house unless it encroaches on unihabited land.

It may seem all amicable now but when you need to replace your garage roof / damp proof your wall then it will be a different story. Also be mindfull that the neighours may change!

I would ask them to batten out the trellis at least 12 inches into thier own garden.

rkk01
    Free Member

You are not being unreasonable if the wall structure is shared.

For all those suggesting “It’s my wall, I’ll do what I like”, I suggest some further reading….

Party Wall etc Act

zimbo
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    So if it was just a wall separating the two gardens, what then?

If it straddles the boundary, then it’s likely to be a party wall. If it’s on one side of the boundary, it’s unlikely to be a party wall. In this case, it sounds like the wall belongs to the OP. And even if it was a party wall, I’m pretty sure you need to serve an appropriate notice before you fiddle with it…

Flaperon

*sigh*

Well, that didn’t take long. Inside wall of the garage and concrete floor now very damp. It’s a single layer of bricks with no DPC but even I’m surprised at how quickly it’s got wet. Even more annoyingly, my tools have gone rusty.

There is in fact no membrane in the planter (confirmed by third party).

However, since it’s a new build my plan is to let the developers worry about it under their warranty. Off to see if I can borrow a dehumidifier from the site manager.

D0NK

bombers?

ski
    Free Member

Bugger!

Hope you can resolve it, without falling out.

wwaswas

let the developers worry about it under their warranty.

they’ll say it’s nothing to do with them (and why should it be – their warranty wasn’t on numptys piling wet earth against a wall) and refer you to your insurance company/a solicitor.

ourmaninthenorth

However, since it’s a new build my plan is to let the developers worry about it under their warranty.

Pretty likely they’ll take one look at it (eventually, by which time the problem will be far worse) and then tell you it’s because of what your neighbour’s doing.

So, you might as well speak to your neighbour. Be polite, but quite firm that you’re not happy about this and that you wish them to resolve it ASAP.

Cougar

Invite the neighbours round and show them, see what they say.

trail_rat
    Free Member

+1 for show the **** . If it was mine id be round there now offering to rip it off the wall

brakes
    Free Member

be sure to show them the rusty end of your tool

thegreatape
    Free Member

And your rusty sheriff’s badge (assuming you keep your dressing up box in there too).

chakaping
    Free Member

And your pool of rusty water, which must have collected on the floor.

tinribz
    Free Member

In most cases it’s unlikely that boundary walls and fences are joint responsibility / owned.

Reckon you’ll find it is built your side up to the edge of the boundary. You should have some documents that show the line. In my experience that would certainly become their position if it ever fell down.

So cheeky as foo to start drilling, practically criminal damage.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Am I being unreasonable? [Neighbour content]’ is closed to new replies.