Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Am i being unreasonable? Classifieds content
  • nickc

No you’re not being unreasonable, and you’ve done the only thing left open to you, and you’ll probably eventually get your money back.

However, I make it a rule that I only buy stuff from people who post on here regularly, in forums other than the sales/wanted. On here the sales wanted thing is ALL about trust.

scotroutes

If I’m selling stuff then I accept that the buyer has right of return. I guess I might grudge picking up the return postage fees unless I’m convinced there’s a good reason for the return though. Possibly a compromise the OP to consider?

rab5474
    Free Member

I started the thread as i wanted to be sure that I wasn’t being a d**k about it. I will upload pictures once i figure out how to embed them in a post

legend
    Free Member

nickjb – Member
    Seems to be a lot blame at the seller. Do we know these aren’t minor cosmetic marks that you would expect on 2nd hand mtb part?

Photos sent – no scratches
    Goods arrive – scratches

Cosmetic or not, that’s still shit

*makes note of person that’ll accept any battered looking crap*

fathomer

v666ern – Member
    i miss Jamie, he’d have sorted this by now and outed the OP as a cash converters manager or something obscure

Will I get banned for asking where he is? I miss the gifs 🙁

I assume banned for something I missed.

Oh, OP not being unreasonable at all.

soobalias
    Free Member

if someone sent me a component having cut the cable, my first instinct is that the part is stolen.

richpips
    Free Member

Maybe if the seatpost hadn’t been clamped too tightly in the first place then the stanchion wouldn’t be scratched. 😆

singlesteed
    Free Member

It really does cheese me off that assholes like the seller in this and all cases of defrauding somebody of their money create an online community of paranoia.

So having been a relatively new comer to singletrackworld and reading comments like the one above regarding only buying from regular posters day in day out is a worrying trend as I can’t always be online to post info, question threads sarcastic, rude or even classified only threads. Due to work and connection problems.

Doesn’t this surely cause those who frequent here like it was their home free passage to be or become traders as seen in these and other online classifieds…

It’s a real shame when I see this happen, makes me feel like “should I bother offering my unwanted kit in excellent condition”

I say out the person in this case and report them whilst maintaining dignity that your not a childish conman and that they are a sour twisted fool to think that, oh and the fact he will get away with it when that will certainly not be the case especially once Paypal are on your side.

rab5474
    Free Member

Thank you all for your support, on other forums i have been on there is a probationary period before people are allowed to sell in the classified section, for example a member has to have contributed 20 posts before they are allowed to sell on the forum. Is there any admin staff here that could maybe look into this option.

hora
    Free Member

You know- only twice have I had problems buying from STW. Both times they were well known STW’ers which kinda negates your request there ^

First time the forks obviously needed a service asap and looked like they’d been thrown down the coal cellar. Fine if I’d have asked for this- but I was assured they didn’t need a service..

Secondtime, met me in a dark wet carpark, with his nervous girlfriend who turned up on his behald. She was nervous as it was dark night/stranger in a carpark so I quickly did the deal to put her at ease and put them in my empty/felt lined boot. As soon as I lifted them out at home I noticed the glint of wall-slide down the stanchion. I felt like I had been conned. What a horrible feeling (isn’t it?).

Seller tried to claim it must have happened in my boot but you kinda know a wall-slide ‘look’…..I was pissed as my missus was heavily pregnant and about to give birth so I was quite distracted and with the threat of name and shame I got a £50 reduction.

Never since. TBH with the volume I’ve sold at least once there must have been kit that I’d see as mint but another man may see as scuffed- we all have different levels of perception to a degree but no one has raised this. If someone did I’d be on it out of embarrassment. I sold a Orange Five frame in person and didn’t notice a small dent under the BB – buyer noticed so I immediately knocked £50 off.

richpips
    Free Member

hora – Member

You know- only twice have I had problems buying from STW. Both times they were well known STW’ers which kinda negates your request there ^

Yep, and as we know Hora is exemplary when it comes to classifieds etiquette.

hora
    Free Member

Hi. Making an offer and then not replying to the sellers reply isn’t a valid critism in regards to this topic. So why derrail my post?

oldboy
    Free Member

OP, sounds like you’ve been screwed on this one. Definitely seek redress through PayPal.

After many years of buying bike parts and HiFi online I’ve realised that my perception of ‘excellent condition’, ‘like new’ and ‘mint’ are not those of the average seller and am now very wary, yet still occasionally get caught out!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I just tripped over this thread. Seems to me this is another “no Evidence” based witch hunt.
    If the OP actually wanted to know if he was being a Richard he would have posted any actual evidence and pasted screen shots of the email traffic. so that all quotes were available in context.

One side of an argument does not allow the mob to be even the slightest bit objective.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Except most posts are qualified along the lines of

carlos – Member
    Reading your post it definitely sounds as though you’ve been done

, to be fair to the mob. AFAIK there haven’t yet been any stonings…

Junkyard
    Free Member

so I quickly did the deal

Your dirty dog you 😉

theotherjonv

Slipped it into her soft welcoming rear compartment, more’s the point.

Or something….. I didn’t read that closely in case i came over all ‘unnecessary’

v666ern
    Free Member

do we have an update OP? Is it time to name and shame or at least put up pics of what you were emailed vs what you received?

unovolo
    Free Member

Get pics up on here and let the STW massive give there(non)professional opinion.

Re.Scratches are they fine hairline ones that would barely show up on photo or deep ones that would easily catch your nail, the former would probably be acceptable(well to me anyway) and the latter not so much but either way the seller should have mentioned them so you could of made a informed decision regarding whether to purchase or not.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Am i being unreasonable? Classifieds content’ is closed to new replies.