Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Am I Being Unreasonable? Selling bike bits conundrum
  • readikus

About 6 weeks ago, I was selling a jersey for a cycling club I used to be involved with. Someone said their wife was interested, and we arranged to drop it off. I was over near his way when he was out, so I posted it through his door. Didn’t hear anything from him for at least a week, eventually I got a tweet at me on the 23rd of October from him on twitter saying “the missus is defo having” it. So I message him my paypal address and waited. And waited. I chased again, and he kept changing the subject. Meanwhile, I was still waiting for the £20. At the end of last week (about 5 weeks on from posting it through his door), I sent a very direct message asking whether there was a problem was with paying for the jersey. I got the reply “Sorry Ian shes still undecided if shes even buying a bloody bike at the moment,will defo confirm sat mate”. I was quite wound up by this – I made it clear that his wife’s inability to form a decision wasn’t my problem and I just wanted my £20 for the jersey. Is it too harsh/petty to say pay up, or small claims?

ken_shields
    Free Member

Not worth getting stressed out over. If it’s that close go round and pick it up or just ask him to drop it off or post it back

bigG
    Free Member

Bearing in mind you know where the guy lives. Have you considered knocking on his door and asking for £20 or your jersey back rather than being a litigious keyboard warrior?

Sorry if this seems rather bloody obvious.

Mantastic
    Free Member

How have you survived this far in life if you can’t work this situation out? Do you only converse with friends via social media?

readikus

I have suggested a return, but no response.

Mantastic – he’s not a friend, just someone who replied to my ad on the club site.

onandon
    Free Member

Why did the give the jersey to someone without receiving payment first ?

readikus

£20 was a really small risk, and he rode with some people I know who seem trustworthy.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

She will decide after xmas mate if its ok, will pay you by then.. Dont worry.. By the way would you mind if we borrow your bike for the weekend.. I think its gonna make her decide sooner by cycling and wearing the jersey. 🙄

jota180
    Free Member

How have you survived this far in life if you can’t work this situation out? Do you only converse with friends via social media?

^^ This

Try actually talking to people, it’s much easier to get a handle on their demeanour etc.

readikus

wolfenstein mate, nice one. I will drop the bike off later, and might as well leave my car with you as I am there.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have been so trusting with someone I don’t know. He now has your jersey ~ what incentive does he have to pay you for it? A polite knock on his door and a request for the return of your goods should solve the situation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Am I Being Unreasonable? Selling bike bits conundrum’ is closed to new replies.