Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • am I being too picky?
  • crispy1980
    Free Member

Hi all, my new on one codeine has arrived but it has a couple of cosmetic flaws. It has a small chip on the chainstay, a scratch on a sticker on the forks, a rub Mark on the bridge of the forks ( turned the Matt finish shiny) and a chip on the top tube ( half the size of a 1 p coin, although it is blue so has been painted over) . I spoke to on one initially about the chip on the chainstay as I haven’t had a proper look until toda.. They offered me 15 quid store credit? Now with the other defects I’m thinking of sending it back unless they make a better offer. Although I don’t want to wait abother two weeks for a replacement? What would you guys do? Am I expeacting too much?

nuke

No, you’re not being too picky imo. You paid for a new bike so it should arrive as new, in mint condition. They’ll be folk who’ll come along telling you ‘its a mtb, it’ll get scratched etc’ but that’s for you to do by riding/crashing it, not for On-One to do before it even gets ridden.

So it’s up to On-One and you now…if you don’t think £15 is sufficient compensation for a ‘soiled’ bike then go back to them. If they don’t offer anymore and you feel this is unfair based on the amount of damage then send it back

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Let me get this right – the paint chip had been painted over/touched-up before you got the bike? If so I wouldn’t be happy and yes I’m often called on being ‘too picky’ 🙂

bungalistic
    Free Member

There was a tiny mark on my Orbea frame when I got it, it was barely visible due to the graphic anyway but I was offered £100 off the bike cost or the same amount as discount off anything else I wanted

angeldust
    Free Member

While I understand the ‘its a mtb, it will get scratched’ argument, £15 store credit is basically an insult. Send it back.

adi66
    Free Member

I had pretty much exactly this with my Fatty at Christmas time…. Problem seems to be the bike boxes are too big, and the bikes not wrapped in anything remotely protective (well that’s how my bike arrived)

I complained to on one, who where absolutely fantastic, and offered to replace the bike, only problem was I was 23rd dec and the bike was a present…. So they asked me if I’d drive to them to do the swap, and as a sorry they would give me some goodies, and free carbon forks … Can’t say fairer than that.

I’m now the proud owner of a carbon forked equipped fatty 😀

sv

I’d be sending that back.

adi66
    Free Member

Call them, email pic’s be cheeky and ask for what you think is reasonable compensation, if your happy to live with the flaws… The worst they can say in NO.
    Failing that, just ask for a replacement.

wiiija
    Free Member

The first picture showing the painted over chip I’d be seriously annoyed about, that alone deserves a swap in my opinion. The other various marks wouldn’t bother me, I don’t think I’ve ever had a bike delivered without a mark or two and I’ve had many.

daveh
    Free Member

Evans offered my mate £25 off of a £350 bike because of a reasonable size chip in the fork (it was the last of the previous years model so there were no swaps available). I could live with all of those defects, with a suitable reduction in price, apart from the top tube one. That would eat away at me so I’d have to request another.

thegreatape
    Free Member

OP, apologies for a slight hijack, but I wonder if I might seek thoughts on a similar matter…the paint on my bike is a bit flaky – such that if I wanted to I could pick bits off with my fingernail – at the brake post mount and seat tube/seat clamp interface. It was like this from the start, and has a 2 year paint warranty. I just assumed that at bits where the frame has been faced (brake mounts) or the seat clamp wriggled on it was unavoidable. Aluminium frame so no rust issue.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

****’ ‘ell lads they’re mountain bikes meant to be ragged hard off road. They’re not bloody ornaments. You obviously don’t ride enough if you’ve got time to worry about boxing up a bike and sending it back to the manufacturer for a replacement.

plus-one

Yes ..

I understand your concern but none of it will detract from the performance.. I’d push for bit more off if I were you and £50+ would more than satisfy me..

Mildly annoying yes .. But not worth sending back .. Those marks are most likely caused in transit(barring the touch up chip)

dudeofdoom

If you’ve got any doubts – bang it back it’ll only bug you in the future if you don’t… 🙂

Rubs and nicks baah but one good ride and you’ve got them…iffy paints always a bit pants…
    (MBUK got free stickers this month as a freebie 🙂

I do get the its a mtb bike but tbh you pay for the honour of scratching your own Bike 🙂

(I really prefer to buy the returned frames rather than a pristine one tbh )

garage-dweller

Send it back, help dude of doom out – I think he’s after a shop soiled codeine… 😛

Now seriously I would go for some enhanced store credit if it were me.

rickon
    Free Member

All of those tiny marks id put on a bike within the first ride.

The chip on the toptube is a different matter, and id want some cash back. Its unlikely youd put chip it like that in a few rides.

The fork rub is due to rubbing against the carboard box.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My first ride on my first Inbred resulted in dent in the toptube when if inexplicably fell off the bike for no reason onto the only boulder in the field. I still cannot explain what actually happened. I was annoyed with the seemingly magnetic boulder.

timba
    Free Member

A chip on my seatstay was worth a free set of XT pedals. I got £45 worth, and the retailer lost a bit less, so everyone’s happy

vincienup
    Free Member

Your call really.

Worth considering another Sheffield bike company is selling frames at 20% discount because they refinished a batch of frames in powder and the stickers aren’t clear coated as a result…

On the whole I agree with the ‘mtbs exist to be bashed up’ idea, but the fun is in doing it yourself not letting someone charge you for the privilege because they’ve been sloppy. You could equally choose to view it as ‘first ding has been done so don’t need to cry later’. Personally I’d be talking to the seller

crispy1980
    Free Member

I’ve been in touch with then and made it clear that the damage is unacceptable for a new bike. I also made it clear that I know that then exchanging the bike will cost them a significant fee. I have said that it’s eitheir an exchange or a significantly better discount offe.. Looking at it again it’s inky really the top tube that bothers me. If I keep it I’ll helicopter tape the tt and that should mask it nicely. I have to wait until Monday for ‘ the boss ” to be in

dudeofdoom

Send it back, help dude of doom out – I think he’s after a shop soiled codeine…

I aready sent a white codeine frame back 🙂 ….. Paint defect right where I’d keep looking….

it’s a reason I prefer to build them up myself as theres always the chance of minor delivery damage …

crispy1980
    Free Member

I’ve heard back from them and they are offering £70 ? Would have liked a but more but I really want to rude this weekend so think I’ll just say yes

D0NK

if I’d paid full rrp for it then yeah, maybe I’d complain, but if I’d got a good deal and the damage was cosmetic (which your pics suggest) I’d ignore it, chances are very high that there’d be considerably more cosmetic damage after the first ride.

br
    Free Member

I’ve heard back from them and they are offering £70 ? Would have liked a but more but I really want to rude this weekend so think I’ll just say yes

Take it, and once you’ve fitted a chain-stay protector you’ll not notice the chip.

Northwind

dudeofdoom – Member

(I really prefer to buy the returned frames rather than a pristine one tbh )

Unlikely you’ll get a chance, they’ll probably send it straight back out to someone else in the hope they’re not fussy.

cokie

The left DT decal on my Canfield YelliScreamy had smudged a small amount- I think this happened in transit. Canfield Europe were fantastic. They offered to replace the frame + a discount or keep the frame and get a free pair or crampon pedals. That is great customer service, not £15 and a pat on the back.

nickc

****’ ‘ell lads they’re mountain bikes meant to be ragged hard off road. They’re not bloody ornaments. You obviously don’t ride enough if you’ve got time to worry about boxing up a bike and sending it back to the manufacturer for a replacement.

Misses the point entirely

unovolo
    Free Member

The rub marks I wouldnt be concerned about (Ideally i’d like everything to be immaculate but as others have said you probably end up with similar after your first ride),
    The painted over chip on the otherhand shouldnt really be there though and I’d be looking for more that £15, more along the lines of £50 (equivalent of getting a tatty frame powdercoated).

chestrockwell

My mates Parkwood had a few small blemishes when it arrived including a small but noticable dent. I’d have sent it back but he couldn’t be bothered.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘am I being too picky?’ is closed to new replies.