Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Am i being scammed?
  • medievalkneival
    Free Member

Just had a cold-call from a guy from a company called REDOUT. He claims to be microsoft-certified engineer and is calling to say my PC is reporting serious errors. Wanted me to run a program from a site

and run a program called AMMY. It then connects him to my computer so that he can see what is causing the errors he sees. I have’nt actually allowed him access and eventually ended the call. Usual stuff: “you will suffer severe data loss in the next 2-3 days”.

Anyone had any experiences of calls from Redout, or know what they are about?

DrP

If you managed to tie your shoes this morning, you know the answer to this…..
    (yes – it’s a scam!)

DrP

Markie
    Free Member

Scam!

In fact, just as I was typing this they called me. Scum.

camo16
    Free Member

They’re using scare tactics to try to get remote control of your computer so they can install spyware etc.

Scamtastic.

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

Definitely a scam – I’m rather ashamed to admit that I watched some terrible daytime TV the other day where someone had been done over by people with similar claims.

warton
    Free Member

Happened to me a few months back:

“your PC is showing serious issues”
    “Oh is it?”
    “Yes, your windows operating system is infected with many viruses”
    “I use a Mac”
    [dialling tone]

Cougar

Very common at the minute and fairly well known. There’s a few threads here where people have kept them on the phone for half an hour for comedy value.

As a rule of thumb, if you find yourself thinking “I wonder if this is a scam” about anything then it’s almost certainly a scam.

ski
    Free Member

See how long you can string them along, record for me is:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-the-phone-windows-have-found-a-virus-on-my-computer-lol

Had another since then, who got very upset with me and called me a ‘little rat person’

😉

medievalkneival
    Free Member

Hmmm. Just done a bit of google-research on REDOUT. Seems they’ve upset a few across in the States also.

Looks like they want to install spyware on the PC. No chance!

legend
    Free Member

I would just do everything they ask, but using the microwave instead

CountZero

I’m always curious to know exactly how they know there’s a problem…

Cougar

Oh, your computer tells them. They’re from Microsoft, you see.

Harry_the_Spider

I have an air horn near the phone for such instances.

Cougar

More seriously,

Their technique is to get the user to check event viewer for errors and warnings. There will almost always be some there even if they’re benign, as services start and terminate when there’s nothing to do and suchlike. They then go “see, your computer is broken, but we can fix it!”

donsimon
    Free Member

Nearly 15,000 events!! What can I do?

allthepies
    Free Member

Tom83

Harry_the_Spider – Member

I have an air horn near the phone for such instances.

Added to my shopping list. Brilliant! 😀

CountZero

I had this email today:

Is it alright to fill it in? 😉
    (I don’t actually have any accounts with Santander, or any online accounts other than a Halifax one, which I hardly ever use).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Am i being scammed?’ is closed to new replies.