Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Am I being irrational?
  • monksie
    Free Member

My rear disc brake has been doing my head in. A shove on the front wheel hard enough to get the wheel rotating 10 full revolutions on the back wheel had it spinning 3 times – 4 at best.
    I've messed with the caliper, pistons everything over the last 12 months that I've owned the bike and now I've conceded defeat and referred to Fatboyjon at the excellent Bike Smithy http://www.bicyclesmithy.co.uk/ and it's going in to be fixed next week.
    It's been like this since I bought the bike and I've just got on with it and ridden the bike lots but now I know it's not just me but the bike is in need of help, I can't face riding it this weekend. Had I not called in the shop, I would have ridden it as normal, loved it and assumed I was just getting slower on a bike.
    Is it irrational to hate it now I know it needs mending rather than loving it but suspecting it probably should go in to be looked at?

tails
    Free Member

What?

monksie
    Free Member

Sorry, I'll try again:
    My rear disc brake has been doing my head in. A shove on the front wheel hard enough to get the wheel rotating 10 full revolutions on the back wheel had it spinning 3 times – 4 at best.
    I've messed with the caliper, pistons everything over the last 12 months that I've owned the bike and now I've conceded defeat and referred to Fatboyjon at the excellent Bike Smithy http://www.bicyclesmithy.co.uk/ and it's going in to be fixed next week.
    It's been like this since I bought the bike and I've just got on with it and ridden the bike lots but now I know it's not just me but the bike is in need of help, I can't face riding it this weekend. Had I not called in the shop, I would have ridden it as normal, loved it and assumed I was just getting slower on a bike.
    Is it irrational to hate it now I know it needs mending rather than loving it but suspecting it probably should go in to be looked at?

wwaswas

ride it anyway.

just treat it as a way of getting fitter…

Eccles
    Free Member

To continue with the motif established above; this juicys with bite point adjust is win.

warpcow
    Free Member

Is it actually rubbing? You don't say. I'd take wild guess that the rear wheel doesn't spin as long because it has the extra friction of the freehub.

Just tested on my own bike (with my BB7 pads wound completely out, so no risk of brake interference) and the rear wheel spins for about 1/2 the time of the front.

That said, you're making me paranoid now 😉

monksie
    Free Member

Definitley the brake. I removed the disc and it spins like a good 'un.
    Bizzarely, it does OK with the caliper fastened down but not tight. As soon as I tightened it up, knackered again. Jon reckons the mount might need facing. Sounds like a plan to me.
    Formula K18's. Never again. Sticky pistons, broken calipers….
    Do you find your self ridiculously slower and more knackered than you previously were? My heart rate was through the roof. Perceived effort maximal, speedometer saying "you is rubbish". I knew it wasn't quite right but I didn't think it would make quite the difference it has. I rode a different bike in today, Shit a brick. man. I flew! It's not been a complete waste of time then 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's going to make **** all difference to your speed.

surfer
    Free Member

Definitley the brake. I removed the disc and it spins like a good 'un.
    Bizzarely, it does OK with the caliper fastened down but not tight. As soon as I tightened it up, knackered again. Jon reckons the mount might need facing. Sounds like a plan to me

My Trek Fuel does the same, it is irritating but I just console myself that the workout is a bit harder and its getting me fitter!!

surfer
    Free Member

It's going to make **** all difference to your speed.

Surely it would?

monksie
    Free Member

"It's going to make **** all difference to your speed"

Don't be daft.

nickc

Mabe a ickle bit, but it's mostly in yer head

monksie
    Free Member

No it's not – well it is now. It's in my head that I can't face riding it now I know it's not working right where as last week I suspected it wasn't working right and I didn't much care.
    I'm good with physiology (and sports psychology) but crap with mechanics.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

rear wont spin as many times as front because they have more internal gubbins and ratchet than front so have more friction. Its also got the rotational mass of the rear sprocket to overcome. Look at hub weight difference if you need convincing. I assume you mean free wheeling as the chain etc causes a large amount of friction and drag slowing the wheel but thats obvious.

if its not rubbing go ride.

user-removed
    Free Member

My Juicy 7s rear caliper rubs all the time. I've just resigned myself to the fact that it happens and there's sh1t all I can do about it. Pretty certain it's not affecting my performance though….

coffeeking
    Free Member

When my DH4 rubs it's because of a sticky piston. That's not in my head and affects my speed. But 10 spins to 4, you'll bearly notice it.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Heh! I like the way Monksie repeated everything he'd typed, when tails asked 'What?'!

Class.

monksie
    Free Member

It makes a difference, I noticed. Same model of bike, no missaligned caliper, no sticky piston, much faster for same perceived effort. Same tyres , no noticeable difference in tyre pressure, same tatmac road, no noticeable headwind, similar resting heart rate this morning. Not compeletely scientific but close enough.

Speshpaul

I had this with a front brake, you could set it perfectly use it once and it would rub. And guess what the brake was… i'll give you a clue it begins with a F.
    Changed roror made no differance so sold it and fitted a hope mono. Problem solved.

scaredypants

moiksie, think about it – use your little finger to push the wheel round. I bet it takes hardly any effort to spin it, way under 1% of the ossum power your legs can produce

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Am I being irrational?’ is closed to new replies.