Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Am I being a bit of a self absorbed tool?
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

So I’m just back from a ride and for a change I spent the entire evening ripping the legs off my mates.

The three of us ride together regularly and I usually keep up pretty well, I’m generally a bit quicker on the ups and a little slower on the downs. This evening however I was spinning past both my mates chatting merrily to them as they splutteredred faced up the climbs and I waited at the bottom of every descent.

As is fair I’m usually ribbed a lot when I’m having an off day, plenty of “man the **** up” and similarly helpful suggestions.

Of late there has also been repeated mention of my being too lazy & unfit and not doing enough practice for the Glentress 7 at the end of the month.

So the rub is this, Mr blowing out of his back super two ten mile runs and two rides a week was rather short with me when I suggested he man up after he complained he couldn’t match my gearing and on the whole both spent the whole evening after I left themon the first climb complaining about tire pressures, shock pressures drive train comparisons and inefficiencies and the fact that I had fresh legs and they have done various other exercising things this week (things they have done every week for over a year so should show some benefit from/resilience to by now?) neither managed to even point out that I was doing well this evening. It’s not like I want a tickertape parade or anything just a minor “good effort” or something would have been nice.

Am I being a self indulgent tool for wanting just a little bit of a well done or at least for them to not blame gearall night?

yossarian
    Free Member

You are awesome. If they can’t handle that just beat them to death with your massive cock and move on.

sc-xc

Yes. You are thinking about this way too much.

Blokes just don’t say nice things to each other, I would be most concerned if any of my mates ever said (anything along the lines of) ‘good effort’.

So, respectfully…stop being such a princess.

wiggles
    Free Member

I didn’t read any of that, but yes you are.

jonathan
    Free Member

You’ve won if they call you a ****. That’s how it works.

scaredypants

Is this a trap ?

you’ve bought a 650 haven’t you

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Yes

walla24
    Free Member

Blokes just don’t say nice things to each other

^^That’s about it ^^

Man up 😛

ads678

You’re on the internet slagging your mates. Yes you are being a tool!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Half a beer and a shower later, I read my own post and slap my self.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yes.

Frankly all three of you sound a bit insecure.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Another vote for “being a cock”

jonathan
    Free Member

Frankly all three of you sound a bit insecure.

They are mountain bikers 😉

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

If you have to ask…….

Incidentally, do said mates come on here? Do they know your username? Isn’t that going to be a bit awkward?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is this a trap ?
    you’ve bought a 650 haven’t you

I may be bemoaning my mates ont’ Web but I do have a soul.

Blokes just don’t say nice things to each other

Worse than that they’d not only have had to be nice (its more the sudden random gear trouble than lack of compliment) but they would have had to admit defeat/being wrong.

Mbnut
    Free Member

My question is how/why were you better than them tonight?

I make a point of riding with slower people… makes me feel like a riding god.

Oh… well done by the way.

Duggan

You’re thinking about this way too much. Surely the private, inwardly smug feeling you get when you’re better than your mates is enough?

djglover
    Free Member

This is like one of those letters to MBR, you should write in.

Yes, by the way

Northwind

dangeourbrain – Member

so been repeated mention of my being too lazy & unfit and not doing enough practice for the Glentress 7 at the end of the month.

And this is why I’m soloing 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

😯

IanMunro
    Free Member

What have you done on Strava though?

jonathan
    Free Member

Rscott
    Free Member

my first thought when I read the title was he’s been out on the rodie.

fasthaggis

Am I being a bit of a self absorbed tool?

Sir ,you have found the perfect media platform to ask,but you really should have posted in the chat section. 🙂

nikk
    Free Member

he complained he couldn’t match my gearing and on the whole both spent the whole evening after I left themon the first climb complaining about tire pressures, shock pressures drive train comparisons and inefficiencies

Are there MTB rules? If there are, then one of them should be NEVER blame your equipment if you get your ass handed to you… YOU choose and maintain the equipment, if it is holding you back, YOU are at fault.

As is fair I’m usually ribbed a lot when I’m having an off day, plenty of “man the **** up” and similarly helpful suggestions.

Of late there has also been repeated mention of my being too lazy & unfit and not doing enough practice for the Glentress 7 at the end of the month.

So the rub is this, Mr blowing out of his back super two ten mile runs and two rides a week was rather short with me when I suggested he man up

If he canny take what he gives, he DOES need to MTFU. Or you need to get new mates.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are there MTB rules?

3 I think

1) Don’t be a dick
    2) Stop Overthinking stuff
    3) See 1 & 2

*1)Makes mental note never to go riding with dangeourbrain and his ‘mates’.

*2) Carries on with life

glasgowdan
    Free Member

What a bunch of little girls!

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Nothing worse than being chatted merrily to while struggling up a hill. I bet you had that smug smile on your face that only you can do so smugly when they showed up at the bottom of the hill. I’m surprised they didn’t challenge you to a dual.

hora
    Free Member

OP do you have much of a life outside bicycles?

ndthornton
    Free Member

You have friends?

alexpalacefan

Contrary to the above, I think it would have been nice if someone had said something.

I would try and pay a compliment in that situation.

APF

plus-one

Yes

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

In my group, having a bad day is matter of fact. If someone having a good day we might say ‘you’re fast today’ or congratulate them on riding something well, or shout encouragement if they’re hitting something really well. If someone is having a bad day they’ll usually apologise for being a bit crap, which is usually met with ‘It’s all riding isn’t it?’

We’re not competing with each other – the challenge is the hill and the obstacles we tackle.

We’ve had people ride with us who are like you and your chums and tbh, both sides of what you describe detract from being out with your mates having a good time, so what gives?

DT78
    Free Member

How about enter a proper race and see how you get on? Your completely entitled to be smug git when your standing up there on the podium….otherwise you’re out for a social ride with your mates, it’s not really a competition is it?

paul4stones

Are you on drugs?

binners

Blokes saying nice things to each other? Sweet baby jesus and the orphans! You’ll be suggesting we start sending each other birthday cards next.

Oooooo – have you done something different with your hair today? It looks nice

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

You are awesome. If they can’t handle that just beat them to death with your massive cock and move on.

Is there a giff for that !!!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would say yes just because this thread exists.

darkcyan
    Free Member

My view is is if your mates are having an off day you turn the crank that little bit harder and ask them if they are ok – you can see the hate in their eyes – nothing better than that IMO.

Normally this is what they do to me – sends me crazy.

Surely this dynamic goes on all the time!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Am I being a bit of a self absorbed tool?’ is closed to new replies.