Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Am I alone in disliking the word 'banter'?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I don’t have a problem with actual banter, but find the over use of the word ‘banter’ and it’s variations are starting to irritate me. The other day I heard someone say ‘bantering’ (when referring to an earlier conversation) and felt an instant urge to hit them with something. The word seems to be particularly popular with so-called lads which is probably a major contributory factor in me disliking it, but am I alone?

bencooper
    Free Member

Seems to be often used in the context of “It’s not sexist/racist, it’s just banter”

Yes, don’t like it.

peterfile
    Free Member

One of the few words that genuinely winds me up.

Normally because whenever I hear it, it’s spouted by a large, drunk rugby club gentleman shortly after he’s said something racist and not even remotely funny, and wants all his mates to laugh as hard as he is.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Overused indeed.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Agree for all the same reasons, I remember reading on an online dating profile, “Would like to meet…..blah blah blah, must be good at bantering,” Oh please….

luffy105
    Free Member

That and ‘Epic’. Both are overused and bloody annoying.

edlong
    Free Member

Seems to be often used in the context of “It’s not sexist/racist, it’s just banter”

That, and in defence of what would be more accurately termed “bullying”

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Schrick, maybe bantering is a new bedroom manoeuvre, and you are missing out?

And yes, ‘banter’ is often synonymous with ‘out of the mouths of pricks’.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

tomoz is worse, i utterly despise that.

and dont start me on ‘lovely jubbly’.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

You think “banter” is annoying? Try the twitter equivalent – #bantz #topbantz 👿

thegreatape
    Free Member

This thread is shite, no banter craic from you lot today.

RustySpanner

I don’t mind ‘Banter’.

It’s got positive connotations too;

The genuinely friendly, consensual mickey taking, like you get in real life, or on the first half page of a thread about Scotland. 🙂

No harm if none is meant, have a safe word, play nice.

But, like wheel sizes and dog owners, there’s always a wrong ‘un who’ll spoil it. 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

You think “banter” is annoying? Try the twitter equivalent – #bantz #topbantz

Hahahaha, I now feel vindicated in my avoidance of Twitter.

Banter = Jokes which aren’t actually funny, but possibly offensive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

@rustyspanner #topbantz dood.

Propz.

😉

nedrapier

like wheel sizes and dog owners, there’s always a wrong ‘un who’ll spoil it.

Which one of the wheel sizes do you reckon spoils it for the others?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

That and ‘Epic’. Both are overused and bloody annoying.

Just read this. Nodding in agreement.

Then, watching Blue Peter, something I have to do in the line of duty, come across the phrase:

“We’re going to be making some epic Jedward wristbands.”

😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wow you guys need to get out more!

chakaping
    Free Member

“We’re going to be making some epic Jedward wristbands.”

Ledge!

warton
    Free Member

‘Patter’ is much better.

ninfan
    Free Member

C’mon, its just a bit of fun!

chakaping
    Free Member

wow you guys need to get out more!

That’s a bit rich coming from someone who appears to spend most hours of the day and night on this website.

(totes #topbantz obvs)

nedrapier

‘Patter’ is much better.

The patter of tiny minds? 🙂

RustySpanner

John Noakes would never have said that.

eskay

‘No brainer’ is my pet hate.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cheers chappers chapaking, just here in the offline time down under 🙂
    Banter is something blokes do, sorry if it offends you southern princess types

nedrapier

Just thinking about that phrase – “the patter of tiny feet”

We live below a couple with an 18 month old toddler. Old place converted into flats, wooden floors.

“Pattering” would be a great improvement!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

cheers chappers chapaking, just here in the offline time down under

Down under? Southern?! Who do you think you’re talking to, the cast of Happy Feet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just tell them about it 🙂 most parents are really respectful of people pointing out that they are a PITA…

dannyh
    Free Member

I used to quite like the word ‘banter’, but as with lots of words, it has been bastardised by people wanting to make unacceptable things sound OK.

Think:

Original meaning: knockabout chat between friends who know where the limits are and occasionally push those limits for comic effect.

Now means: dumbed down term for abuse, often personal, often very malicious.

A bit like ‘craic’

Original meaning: High spirited, often alcohol fuelled (though not exclusively) fun. No harm done other than a hangover and maybe a couple of sheepish phone calls saying “oh my god, did I really say/do that” (referring to a risque comment or some strange drinking challenge).

Now means: Getting pissed and acting like a dickhead and ruining other peoples evenings – but hey, it’s just the ‘craic’.

Such is life………………….

core

Genuine banter is enjoyable, light hearted fun, and the use of the term in that context is fine, but like the OP, I do dislike it’s over use, normally to try and excuse someone being a bit of a C.

Now there’s a term that divides opinion like no other. I can’t believe (despite my just using it) how widespread its use has become in spoken language, even in professional environments and by women these days too…….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

being a bit of a C.

Now there’s a term that divides opinion like no other. I can’t believe (despite my just using it) how widespread its use has become in spoken language, even in professional environments and by women these days too…….
    Don’t you just hate equality?
    As someone pointed out this evening there is a difference between using foul language to offend and using it creatively to make a point. Anyone can swear but few can make a point.

JEngledow
    Free Member

As said above I have no problem with actual banter*, it’s just the twunts who talk about ‘top banter’ and who use it as an excuse for being a cock that boils my wee!

*Banter: the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

professional environments and by women

Wimminz? In professional environments?

Whatever next! Thin end of the wedge, I tell you, thin end of the wedge. They’ll be wanting the bleeding vote, next, you’ll see.

#topbantz #lolz

😉

nedrapier

mikewsmith – Member
    just tell them about it most parents are really respectful of people pointing out that they are a PITA…

😀 They were good friends of ours before we moved in, still are, and the little boy is pretty damn cute and funny, so it’s quite nice hearing him run about – you know he’s smiling!

I think you could only get a toddler “pattering” on a stone floor – just the way little legs seem to work!

bencooper
    Free Member

Indeed, I think the person who coined the phrase “the patter of tiny feet” had never met a real child.

core

I’m used to hearing builders curse all day long, it goes with the territory and is expected/accepted in that environment. Along with groups of ‘lads’ on the beer, watching football etc (not that it does necessarily make it acceptable….)

But only recently have I heard women, people on the street, or people working in places other than farms/building sites/industrial places use ‘the C word’.

BigDummy
    Free Member

A friend had someone on Tinder demanding “pantz for bantz”.

I suspect Fresh Meat was to blame for that one really, but still…

D0NK

No problem with the word, I do have issues with behaviour that it’s often used to (attempt to) excuse tho

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They were good friends of ours before we moved in, still are, and the little boy is pretty damn cute and funny, so it’s quite nice hearing him run about – you know he’s smiling!

Excellent. 😀

dannyh
    Free Member

Here’s an example of ‘banter/craic’ from my own experience – initially to my ‘credit’ then to my ‘shame’.

A bunch of mates and I went for a weekend on the lash in Swansea over ten years ago. We arrived on the Friday night for ‘nothing crazy as the main event is tomorrow’ drinks. Needless to say we all got absolutely shitfaced, so when we started again on the Saturday morning we were actually not starting from zero.

Anyhow, Mumbles Mile pub crawl (starting at the far end) despatched pretty well by late afternoon. We decide we need a curry so we order a taxi.

That taxi ride has become ‘folklore’ amongst us because the reminiscing about uni days etc has the (female) taxi driver having to pull over because she was crying with laughter. Nothing particularly blue, we were just nicely pissed, on good form and really having a great time. Superb.

Then we arrive at the curry house, but we hadn’t really registered that it was about 6pm, not 11pm. The place is full of families with kids etc wanting a nice quiet meal. We carry on as before. Nothing really offensive, but just being really loud, pulling chairs away as each other sat down, that kind of thing. Then it dawned on us all at the same time how out of place this was – and how, if the boot was on the other foot, how annoyed we would be. Cue shamefaced apologies to nearby tables and a very well-behaved reaminder of the meal.

Remember – even ‘good’ banter/craic can impinge on other people’s enjoyment if they are nearby!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Am I alone in disliking the word 'banter'?’ is closed to new replies.