Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Am I allowed two current accounts?
  • tails
    Free Member

I'm sure I remember it being illegal. The reason I ask is on a recent holiday I lost my card, so had to rely on my CC, so I'd like 2 one with HSBC the other with say barclays/lloyds whoever.

ratcatcher

Yes you can ………… well I have.

bigsi
    Free Member

Yes you can. i have 3 🙄

Spud

I have two with the same bank. One for wages and day-to-day spending, the other for all bills.

bigsi
    Free Member

Sorry make that 5 as i forgot about the joint accounts 😯

None of them have any money in them, really should close at least one of them 😕

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ha, you're all going to gaol. Have fun in the showers, if I was you I'd say you were a nonce rather than owning up to the crime of all crimes!

tails
    Free Member

Thanks, maybe I'll stick with HSBC.

richmars

Don't think it's illegal, you just may not get the special deals unless you have a monthly salary going in.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

As a student it was fun trying to open up as many as possible for the free gifts/cash.

midlifecrashes

I have six, three personal, three joint. Why not? Only one of them is dormant,others getting use all the time. Whether your bank of choice would like you to do things this way is a different matter. Easiest way is just to switch banks but leave the old one open.

Junkyard
    Free Member

of course i used to have three with the same bank…you get nice deals by opening anew student account with them and the never asked the others to be closed.
    I would assume you can have as many as you want as long as you dont commit fraud or money laundering

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have 5, 2 single, 3 shared. All of them are standard current accounts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

3 to myself and two shared.

Flaperon

I hope not, 'cos I have 3. One abandoned, one kept for the interest free overdraft, and one which my salary is paid into and bills go out of.

ART

Seriously .. nearly as good as the 'what do I do with 50K' thread. Have as many as you bloody like, if they'll give you one you can have it … next…..

Haze

Gf has about a dozen or so, she opens a new one whenever there's a decent cashback/'free' money offer.

I wouldn't keep up with the PIN numbers

andrewh
    Free Member

Did have three, down to two now. (not as a result of reading this post I might add, more Alliance & Leicester being a bunch of useless to$$ers)

From another site…

Loan shark the loan sharks.

Halifax Reward Current Account. (NOT the Ultimate Reward one)

You must be 18 or over.
    You must pay in 1001 GBP/month.
    If you do, and your balance stays above 0 GBP for the month, they'll pay you 5 GBP.
    No fees.

You can have three accounts.
    Hubby/wifey can have three accounts.
    It doesn't matter where the 1001 GBP comes from. (standing order from another Halifax account is fine)

So if you have 1004 GBP you'd like to save, go open three Halifax accounts. Plonk 1002 GBP in account A, and 1 GBP in accounts B and C. Set up a standing order from A-B, B-C, C-A every month. (allow time for them to clear) Halifax will pay you 180 GBP/year, or a shade under 18% interest on money that you can access instantly should you need it. Get the wife to sign up and you could get 360 GBP/year (but check how long payments take to clear/that you won't run into bank holiday/weekend type problems – I haven't done this, mine just go on the 2nd/12th/22nd)

All kosher, and somewhat satisfying loaning the bank money at an eye-watering interest rate for a change.

I've done this. It works.

NZCol

As I read that yu have to pay in 1001GBP PER MONTH no ? Makes it a less fruitful way to have 12 grand sitting imo.

konabunny
    Free Member

I keep an account with a 2 pence balance just to cost HBOS money every month. Spankers.

As I read that yu have to pay in 1001GBP PER MONTH no ?

I think you just have to pay in a grand a month (i.e. as salary), you don't have to keep it there.

NZCol, no.

Two ways;

If you've got £1000 in savings, put it in account A.
    Two days later,transfer it to account B.
    Two days later,transfer it to account C.
    Two days later,transfer it back to account A.
    Repeat next month.

Or.

If you earn >£1000 a month, get it paid in to account A.
    Two days later,transfer it to account B.
    Two days later,transfer it to account C.
    Spend your money from account C.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Yep, I've got Santander and Halifax c/accs with £1000 bouncing back and forth between them. Halifax pay a flat £5 for paying in a grand so it's there for a day, then gets put back into Santander which is paying something daft like 5%.

I think the only 'bad' thing about multiple c/accs is credit rating if I remember (vaguely).

cheers_drive

As above I have 3 Halifax currunct acounts; 1 main account and the others which my wages pass through for a day to ensure I get £15 pe r month which is more interest than I'd get on a savings account 😉 It's an expensive account to be slightly overdrawn on though.

DezB
    Free Member

Cover your face in lemon juice and you should get away with it.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I have two – one joint, one sole.

Salary goes into Sole account, some gets transferred to joint account to pay mortgage and some bills, some is left to pay other bills, and some is mine to spend on me

Haze

andrewh – Member
    Did have three, down to two now. (not as a result of reading this post I might add, more Alliance & Leicester being a bunch of useless to$$ers)

Ah crap, just transferred to these 😐

allthepies
    Free Member

I have four Lloyds Vantage accounts (pay 4% interest thank you very much) and one Halifax Reward account. Transfer 1K around each of them once a month to keep the benefits 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Got three, two joint (1 unused currently), one personal.

tails
    Free Member

Halifax reward current account it is then.

why would any bank do this?

Hadge
    Free Member

Mine are off-shore and no idea how many either 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Am I allowed two current accounts?’ is closed to new replies.