Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • am i allowed to do a whats it worth thread?
  • julians
    Free Member

Might want to sell my bike,and looking for input as to its value,but don’t want to break any forum rules, is that allowed?

bigblackshed

You can ask, there’s no rules about asking. But be prepared to be accused of drumming up interest. You’ll get a lot of responses like:

“Half what you paid for it or half what you can buy it for now if less. Then keep dropping the price until it sells.”

julians
    Free Member

ok, here goes, do your worst STW:-

frame :2010 Ibis Mojo HD size large in bare/matt carbon fibre
    forks :2013 Marzocchi 55 rc 3 ti fork – service a couple of months ago
    Shock : 2012 Cane creek double barrel air shock
    Brakes : 2012 Shimano Xt, with 203mm hope floating rotor on front and 180mm hope floater on the back
    Front wheel : 26″ light bicycle carbon fibre 33mm AM rim, on hope pro II hub, hans dampf 2.35 tyre tubeless – bearings replaced last month
    Rear wheel : 26″ light bicycle carbon fibre 33mm Downhill rim, on novatec hub, hans dampf 2.35 tyre tubeless – new wheel in august
    Cranks : shimano SLX
    Chainring : Ethirteen 32 tooth narrow wide
    Cassette : Shimano XT with one up 42 tooth range expander
    Derail : Shimano SLX shadow + 10 speed
    Shifter : shimano XT
    Bars : Renthal fatbar lite carbon 740mm
    Stem : truvative 50mm
    Headset : Cane creek angleset
    Seatpost : rockshox reverb 125mm drop
    Saddle : Fizik gobi, or I might change this before I sell it.

All mechanically sound, no play in bearings,bushings,headset etc.

wwaswas

Half what you paid for it or half what you can buy it for now if less. Then keep dropping the price until it sells.

hth.

scaredypants

Less than the sum of its parts – split, if you can be arsed

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s now very little demand for expensive secondhand 26in bikes, so I’d say £1,500 or maybe a bit more – but this is a case where it’s almost certainly better to split.

What were you hoping to get?

julians
    Free Member

Not really got any particular expectation, just wondering if its worth selling or whether I’d rather keep it as a spare bike, problem is I kept my last bike as a spare, so I’d be building a stockpile of very similar bikes, which are completely unnecesary. My gut feeling is that if its worth £1500ish then I’ll probably just keep as a spare, but I might price up the part seperately and consider splitting.

Yak

I would sell it at the very moment it is not needed for whatever it is worth. Otherwise you will stockpile stuff, then years down the line you will end up having a massive clear-out and selling it for peanuts.

And split too. All that stuff will sell fairly quickly, but you may be trying for a while with the whole bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I’d split it up and get the parts advertised with nice pics on PB classifieds and here.

You’ll get a steady stream of income from it rather than a lump sum, but doesn’t make any sense to keep such a high-end bike as a spare.

Worth taking a load of pics and trying for a higher price for the whole bike of course, maybe just under £2k. You never know.

br
    Free Member

Split and sell the stuff that won’t fit your new bike while keeping the rest as spares.

njee20
    Free Member

£1500 seems quite generous to me for a 4 year old bike with a wheel size no one wants.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

with a wheel size no one wants.

Recent poll on the home page suggested over 50% of people are still on 26″ wheeled bikes.

taxi25
    Free Member

I bet a lot less than 50% of people, would say their looking to buy a expensive high end 26er though. 🙁
    Found this out trying to sell mine.

njee20
    Free Member

Recent poll on the home page suggested over 50% of people are still on 26″ wheeled bikes.

It was slightly tongue in cheek, but there’s a difference between what people have, and what people are buying.

Basically what Taxi said!

soma_rich
    Free Member

As a bike I would say ~£1300 as bits significantly more+ Plus the hassle of multiple parcels and the increased potential for things going missing…

rOcKeTdOg

split it or keep it, no one really wants an expensive 26″ bike now,as you can’t buy one new, but someone might be resisting the new wheel sizes enough to give you something on the frame. what you lose there might be made up on the generic (i.e non 26″ specific)parts

Scapegoat

Definitely worth more split. All the bits on it are still desirable to us 26″ luddites and 1500 on a bike that nice seems a bit of a travesty.

hora
    Free Member

Say

*Frame – £450-500.
    forks – £300

The rest is good kit but not fantastic kit. People would look at the bike for sale and just see the frame and forks. So unless you get lucky on ebay I’d split and keep the bits/carry them over onto your next build however….. you probably see the point now. The kits ok but not stunning/what you’d want yourself on a new build?

(*Is that the one that people can’t get on with??)

markshires
    Free Member

When pricing stuff up, try doing a search on ebay and then just showing the completed/sold listings rather than the current ones. It should give you a rough idea of how much things are going for.

pictonroad

I think you’ll get more for that frame with a CCDB. I’d like the shock myself if you’d consider a swap +cash with a RP23…

As a mojo owner myself that sounds like an absolutely blinding build, hope you’re replacing it with something special.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I maybe interested in the wheels, brakes and bars depending on their condition. E-mail in profile if you want to talk.

Rosss
    Free Member

Mojo HD frames sell for considerably more than £450 let alone with a CCDB. Split it if you need to sell it now, I was considering selling mine in the new year but it wont be going for £1500

julians
    Free Member

Thanks all, food for thought.

Keep bike vs split and sell the bits – hmmm I am quite lazy……

Might sell my other stockpiled bike (2005 spesh enduro) instead and keep this one as spare – it would be a pretty nice bike to have as a spare.

Need to have a think….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘am i allowed to do a whats it worth thread?’ is closed to new replies.