Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Am I about to make a wise 'investment'…
  • crispybacon
    Free Member

this is a 1986 version

Woody
    Free Member

It doesn't matter if it doesn't go up in value but my feeling is that it will. There are lots of things worth a small fortune which the average person who is not 'into' that particular thing cannot comprehend. Watches for instance crop up regularly on here and someone not into watches will never understand what makes a watch worth £1,000,000 when a £50 Casio will probably keep better time.

It doesn't matter of you never ride it. How many £10k bottles of wine or whisky will ever be drunk ? The pleasure is in owning it and being able look at it/appreciate it whenever you want, with the bonus that it may be worth more in the future.

To put £2k into perspective, how much does a car depreciate? Most would lose considerably more than that the moment it leaves the showroom.

Good luck tomorrow 😉

brakes
    Free Member

just don't go riding it down by the canal psychle

Woody
    Free Member

I thought at first glance that someone had abandoned a rusty old bmx 😳

psychle
    Free Member

just don't go riding it down by the canal psychle

indeed! 😆 though the scrotes wouldn't have a clue what it's worth, they may well think it's a halfords special 😉

The pleasure is in owning it and being able look at it/appreciate it whenever you want, with the bonus that it may be worth more in the future.

Amen brother! 8)

vinnyeh

So, if you're trying to justify this as an investment, do you have any other debts, cos if you have you really ought to pay those off first.
    Anything to do with bikes, I reckon you just have to write the money off, depreciation is so bad.

Good luck though, but I'd consider that ti Indy you bought a better investment than the Ibis.

psychle
    Free Member

Good luck though, but I'd consider that ti Indy you bought a better investment than the Ibis.

Yep, I reckon even with the repaired crack it was a good buy 🙂 One of my most prized possessions now!

dans160
    Free Member

I used to have a 1985 PK Ripper. I cry when I think about what I sold it for.

DaveGr
    Free Member

As with any investment you have to think what the potential market will be like in 5 or 10 years time if you want to sell it. If you buy wine then it's likely that people will still be spending vast sums of money on old/vintage bottles of wine so the market will be there. At the moment the people buying the bike are most likely those who wanted one when they were younger. But in 10 years time those people could be too old/moved on so who will buy in then? Sounds like a "nostalgia investment" to me.

Buy it. Ride it. Enjoy it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Buy it. Ride it. Enjoy it.

But whatever you do, don't look at it!

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

psychle – the one that went for$24000 was the prototype for the 1982/83 i think. it had chromo tubes and stronger welds was one of only three evermade and could be dated back to drawings it came with.

Mr C f h I can only drool at the prices being paid at the moment for some bmx gear its defo a sellers market at the moment.

@ woody my thoughts exactly. if you can afford it then buy it lifes to short to worry about it.

epicyclo

Spend the money on drugs. You'll feel better for longer. 🙂

(Then I can buy it)

psychle
    Free Member

But whatever you do, don't look at it!

Wait till you have a chance to see it in the flesh before judging… the welding alone is a work of art 🙂

thv3
    Free Member

I personally think you obviously want it so……

Buy it, forget about the "investment" value, and enjoy it.

If you can bring yourself to part with it, then anything you get for it is a bonus.

I personally think it will make more than £2000 in years to come, but thats my own probably worthless opinion.

How much were your other bikes and how much will you lose on them?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Sellers market forold bmx's?

Great! I got 4 in my flat here! Anyone want a Diamond Back Silver Streak?

Seriously though, there have been lots of frames through the years, but few if any MTB's are "clasic" as there has been a lot of development and changes through the years, and fashion influences too.

IE my first Clockwork Orange was a lovely bike, best frame of any of the bikes I've owned since. But with its canti bosses, and only suitable for suspension up to 60 mm, and it's 1 inch head tube, it would be a no brainer to buy second hand today, as you couldnt find forks to fit it! The same will be just as applicible for the Orange Vit ti frames, ie fork length and the fashion for longer, means it will only sell to a small retro market.

Old racing frames are a little different as single speed makes a comeback with all these fixies and the rlj's who ride them but your frame will sure as tomorrow is friday, not retain value.

Buy it for you, but dont justify it as an "investment". Even my DB Silverstreak as mentioned above, is only worth today a bit over what I paid for it 25 years ago, and taking into account inflation, thats stilla thumping loss, despite that I could go to RADBMX and sell it 10x over, as people love them! Perhaps a Harry LEary Turbo in mint original condition might buck the trend, I've seen a couple go for £1k+ and one for £2k that was virtually mint original down to its irc skinwall comp II DB specific tyres.

Turnoisier
    Free Member

I haven't ridden a bmx for 25 years, but I feel strangely drawn to the Quad-angle thing.

Is that where Mr Jones got his idea from…?

aracer
    Free Member

Well if it's any help, if I had the money and the space I'd happily pay >£2k for that Bow-Ti. I'm guessing a lot of the people responding are either too young or have no sense of history. I'm also sure that it will be a rubbish bike to ride compared to what I currently own, but that doesn't actually matter does it?

Woody
    Free Member

But with its canti bosses, and only suitable for suspension up to 60 mm, and it's 1 inch head tube, it would be a no brainer to buy second hand today, as you couldnt find forks to fit it!…………means it will only sell to a small retro market

LOL -A small retro market is all you need ❗

cookeaa

Collectors of just about anything are to be honest, past dull these were at the end of the day products intended to be used, ultimately superseded and eventually discarded…

a Skip is it's natural home really…

Turnoisier
    Free Member

With just a little effort, you could make it look as awful as this one 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Well…..have you bought it ???

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Am I about to make a wise 'investment'…’ is closed to new replies.