Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Am I about to be scammed?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Just had a text from my credit card company asking me if I used my card to spend £1 through Paypal. I haven’t and texted back ‘NO’, as requested. They then sent another text asking me to stay near the phone and await a call from their fraud department. Is this a known scam?

Obviously, I’m just about to call CC company and check, but just wondered if anyone else had had this.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Never had a text, but I have had a call and it was legit.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Most of them do this, but if you prefer to call them on the normal number they won’t mind, and that puts your mind at rest.

cranberry
    Free Member

How do you know that the text was from your CC company ?

wwaswas

it’ll be one of those £20/text numbers 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

Would a bank actually ask you this by text?

andytherocketeer

^^that

Will probably get 1 pr0n picture or something per day, and billed £1 for the privilege.

Obviously call the card fraud line, but also check the number that you texted back.

My UK CC co. (if you can call them that… more of an IT screwer-upper – I’m sure you can suss which one 😉 ) prefers to send me a letter by penny post asking me to call the fraud line to query purchases 🙄

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I wouldn’t accept a phone call like that and believe it’s genuine. I would call the bank directly myself, sounds like a scam to me.

user-removed
    Free Member

Well, it was legit – just off the phone. Turned out I had spent £1 through paypal. I bought a lightstand off ebay last night and must have ticked the box which adds a charitable donation of £1. I’m not a hard-hearted bugger, but I certainly didn’t do it on purpose. Must have paid for thousands of transactions over the years and never done it before…

And cranberry – I had no idea if the text was, or was not from my CC company, and that’s why I phoned them, using the customer services number.

Cougar

EDIT – never mind, glad you’re sorted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Am I about to be scammed?’ is closed to new replies.