• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Am I really a RealMan?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Went riding on Thursday night, out for about 4 hours. Think the temperature was -5 degrees and real strong wind. Quite wet as well. Did not enjoy it much.

And this is down in Pompey. As some of you might know, I've been thinking about moving to Edinburgh. If I cant handle the weather around here, am I going to end up being a fair weather cyclist if I move up north?

househusband
    Free Member

Not at all. I know the Portsmouth area and I'm confident in saying that the terrain, scenery and access we enjoy in Scotland would outweigh any misery!

thomthumb
    Free Member

went for a 7 hour night ride on thursday in southamton (did involve a couple of pubs and a kebab) but one of the best rides of the year. wasn't too cold. and didn't rain.

MTFU 😉

or buy some better gear – if you were cold you need better clothes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

-5 would be cold for Edinburgh. I was out in the Pentlands on Friday evening and it was barely below freezing.

Edinburgh is colder than many parts of the UK but not as cold as some. Easterly winds are bitter but usually come with clear skys. Rainfall is low.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i too was out late thursday afternoon.eveing…baltic conditions as the mud on my pedals turned to ice… stuck like ruddy concrete it did….

mieszko
    Free Member

It was -3 on my way back from work in Edinburgh and it felt pretty cold. Got used to the weather here and if it's not raining it's good enough to ride, wind and low temperatures doesn't really bother me, as riding in fair weather only would limit the riding time as it's always something (however the summer had some nice sunny weeks).

TJ is the Pentlands mud all nice and frozen or still wet?

Can it be -5 outside and still wet?

Cold strong wind can make a ride miserable but it all depends who are You riding with as it's always better to ride with some friends, when I'm out riding with my mates the weather doesn't bother me even more 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

i too was out late thursday afternoon.eveing…baltic conditions as the mud on my pedals turned to ice… stuck like ruddy concrete it did…

Yeah, bike was covered in concrete like mud. Half way through the ride my front mech got clogged up, and froze solid.

Might just be the gear, or it might just be me. I'm 8.5 stone, so maybe i just need to hit mcdonalds more, get some insulation.

oldgit
    Free Member

4 Hours, -5, 8.5 stone think you did well.
    thomthumb 7 hours at night you silly beggar, you might as well have done Strathpuffer.
    So 3 hours at night during winter is enough, I like to have my tea a shower and bed before work nextday

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mieszko – Member

TJ is the Pentlands mud all nice and frozen or still wet?

Wet under a frozen crust 7pm Friday – dunno what it will be like now soft snow lying as well

Drac

-4 at night that's tropical, out collecting logs today and at late morning it was -4.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

come up north properly, here talking north of inverness here. It is colder than where you are. and wetter. But we have better access rights and fantastic trails. =) you win some you lose some.

RealMan
    Free Member

Nice to hear.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Would your riding / not riding really affect your move?
    Think you need to better understand your reasons for moving over the desire to ride!
    Why not try a week in the city and let that sway your mind either way.
    There's a shed load more riding around the Scottish city than there is around Portsmouth – more upmarket too. Less matlows / Marines and finer city buildings.
    Swapping Union St for Princess St would be a no-brainer IMHO.
    Shorter winter days = longer summer evenings.
    Think 7Stanes.
    A move = more of an adventure.
    Staying put = much of the same.

thomthumb
    Free Member

You aren't ready for this shit, scotland will kill you.

pmsl.

seriously a bit of a cold snap cant put you off scotland can it?

if i lived in portsmouth i'd be joining the navy and on the first boat outta there!

it is the gear, seriously. if you think of the perfect outfit (warm enough for long enough) or naked (too cold). we're always somewhere in the middle – you just need more clothes to move up the scale. if that makes any sense?*

*disclaimer i tend to treat cold riding like work(insulating stuff)

CheesybeanZ

-8.5 as we got to kingswinford and -6 as we set off to meet the clent duffers ride on sunday .. ace

dobo
    Free Member

was out for just 1hr on thursday but was really toasty and just below 0, i wear the following

some padded bibs shorts
    some old thermal gore bib tights non padded or dhb merston bibs
    merino long sleave top
    gore phantom top
    waterproof
    wooly socks
    mw80's boots
    seal skins gloves
    original buff over head and ears

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Am I really a RealMan?’ is closed to new replies.