Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • am fed up of not riding my bike,so am going to do something about it.
  • racefaceec90

have had enough of my depression/laziness winning all the time,so have decided to start up a diary here about my attempts to get some fitness back.i reckon that talking on here will really motivate me to get off my ass and ride my bike (especially as spring is almost here 🙂 there are some really kind people on this forum who have given some great advice (that i intend to put into practice).am going to start today by riding on the ridgeway (not very far as i really am unfit at present,but will definitely visit avebury/the weather today looks fine) am really looking forward to riding my bike in the wilderness again (have only ridden to town/k&a to melksham.i live in devizes) 🙂 will let you know how far i went when i come back (won’t be leaving until after 10am (have to visit santander first for some food money)

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Good luck my friend.The problem is sometimes you could have the best bike money can buy but you cannot buy enthusiasm.I lost my job last March and at the same time my little boy was born.Now you would think that i would be out on my bike 24/7 but the reality is i hardly ride anymore as i like to spend a lot of time with the little chap so like your good self i will try to regain somme fitness too.

Coyote
    Free Member

Good luck buddy.

racefaceec90

thanks GSI-MAN.am sorry to hear about you loosing your job,i wish you all the best with finding more work.congratulations on becoming a father though.i reckon that if your son is old enough to fit in a bike chair/trailer with the weather getting better (hopefully?) you could all go out on a bike ride locally.the annoying thing is when i do go out on my bike,i really love it (even though i’m the slowest person in history at present 😀 it’s just finding a way of kicking depression into touch. with depression it always puts bad thoughts/excuses into your head.well i just will give it a damn good talking to (in my head you understand/i might get funny looks if i rant for real 😆 good luck mate and let us know how you get on 😀

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Yeah I have just bought a bike/baby seat and helmet for him and hopefully will go out with him today.
    I reckon the more riding you do the depression will hopefully subside. 😀

ourmaninthenorth

raceface – the best rides are the ones with no pressure. A gentle bimble about with no real aim. A sit in the sun, a look at a view, and a sandwich and can of coke.

These are the things simple pleasures are made of.

Hope you enjoy it..!

racefaceec90

well i have just got back after riding my bike (offroad!) for the first time this year :oops:and it was ace 😀 i actually didn’t go on the ridgeway in the end (but was near to avebury).i ended up riding to cherhill monument (near calne) not my picture.it was wonderful to be out in the wilderness (well not ray mears wilderness,but you get the idea 🙂 the weather looked like it was going to tip it down at some points (but luckily was only a light drizzle/that didn’t last very long)the sun came out and the views were stunning (the best i max cinema is the mountain bike)i stopped at the monument and ate a cheese/onion pasty.then descended down a nice little descent to main calne/beckhampton roundabout road.there i decided to ride towards the roundabout and visit a place near to it that does microlight lessons and enquire about cost/lessons (one day i will learn to fly one hopefully if i have any money) i then crossed back towards devizes at roundabout,then turned off to join farm track back towards devizes (missing the main road/seriously it is like a race track that some of the cars/lorries go at).then rejoined the k&a canal back to devizes.phew! overall i was well chuffed (i managed to ride almost all the route without getting off my bike)even though the wind got up (very knackering) i seemed to time the distance just right as i was completely cream crackered just as i got back to devizes. overall i did 20.95 miles in 2:41:40 (told you i am the slowest rider in history 😉 top speed a whopping 25:9 m.p.h av speed a not so whopping 7.7 m.p.h 😳 sorry to have droned on,but i feel great to have ridden my bike (finally 🙂

wwaswas

well done 🙂

and the more you do it the more you’ll want to do it.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve had a similar problem, let’s call it “family guilt”, stopping me from getting out on decent rides. Get out a lot with my dog but only for short blasts.
    So anyway, I say to singletrackmind, when he pops round on the offchance “Let’s go to Wales, to a trail centre for the day”.
    So we go to Glycorrwg.
    Oh my god, what a fantastic place. Now I wanna get out even more. And can’t. So, erm. Well just thought I’d share 🙁

racefaceec90

i forgot to say thanks everyone for the kind words/words of encouragement.DezB am sorry to hear that you cannot ride as often as you would like (i hope that things change for the better)i’m glad that you went to wales and enjoyed the riding with your friend (man i’d love to go and ride there some day 🙂 good luck mate and let us know how you get on when you can ride again 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers for the kind words mate. I shouldn’t moan really, I’m sure I’ll get out more come summer! 🙂

cinnamon_girl

racefaceec90 – was really pleased that you got out and what a lovely pic you’ve posted! The hardest bit is getting out the door so well done and start planning your next ride. 🙂

Actually there were some Wiltshire rides in one of the mtb mags recently.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I agree that actually get out the door is the hard part. I recently started going out for a quick blast before work (about a 12 mile loop), and while I’m now managing about four times a week, which has already worked wonders for my fitness, I still sometimes struggle to find the motivation. However, within about five minutes of getting out the door you wonder what all the fuss was about!

And that photo looks stunning, by the way. Surely views like that are all the motivation anyone should need! 🙂

racefaceec90

i must confess that i didn’t take the picture 😳 (do not have a camera at present) i found it with google (was definitely one of the nicest pictures of cherhill monument.whoever took pic is very talented). cinnamon girl thanks for the encouragement (thanks to everyone else as well).i will definitely keep on riding from now on (have said it here,so cannot back out now 😉 to begin with i will probably ride 2 or 3 times a week (my next ride i have decided is to go on salisbury plain to westbury white horse) will you and the gang ever be doing another ride near to me,as it would be great to ride with you all again.

andyl
    Free Member

I know how you feel. Was in a foul mood yesterday so put the GFs specialized in the back of the car (my bikes are in bits) and went out for the 1st proper off-road ride in ages with the dog. Felt good but I am seriously lacking fitness!

ourmaninthenorth

nice one raceface – exactly the sort of ride that warms the cockles.

And I like the choice of energy food..!

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

If you are local to Longleat in Wiltshire look at the Black Cannon Collective website.They organise loads of races and ride every tuesday night on there own land and the sorounding countryside.You can even borrow some night lights for the night rides and then its to the pub for a laugh at who fell off.
    Well done raceface. 😆

Trekster

[IMG]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/bigjohnskona/odsnsods/Kingholmnith.jpg[/IMG]
    Took this on an “aimless bimble” partly to take a pick for the weekly photo challenge boats thread but I enjoy just getting the bike out and making up a route away from the normal must do`s.
    It is too easy to get caught up in the “meaningful/hard core/rad dude” riding culture that can overtake the real enjoyment of just “getting out and riding your bike”

racefaceec90

trekster nice picture 😀 you have some stunning scenery where you ride.am glad that you are out on your bike 😀 GSI-MAN thanks for the heads up (i live in devizes) unfortunately longleat is a bit far for me to cycle to at present,but will definitely try in the future to ride there 🙂 well i bet you all thought that i had given up the riding again 😉 (to be honest i haven’t ridden my bike since the last trip i wrote about) well today i went out for the second time this year with a group of people from http://www.settingascene.com/ .started off by meeting one of the riders (apologies for not mentioning names/have a memory like a sieve 😳 at the top of roundway hill.we then rode on the trail until we joined the main road by west wilts golf course,and descended the hill to meet up with 2 more riders (who has cycled from chippenham).apologies if i get a little vague about the route we took (was trying to keep up with them).we took a bridleway which we followed (eventually going to meet with cherhill monument) which was really muddy in places (just swallowed your shoe/bike wheels)eventually we kept following the track/s to get to the monument.from there we took a track that wended its way downwards (some good descending 😀 to meeting up with main beckhampton road. we turned off where there are some houses and joined a farm track.we then continued on said track heading towards wandsdyke (man the track seemed to go on for ages/probably only a couple of miles tough!) not long after though we came to a small wooded section.this bit was ace 😀 the trail descended for a few hundred feet where there were roots/humps.the first time i cycled this bit i felt that i was flying (i actually got air more than once/am not usually an air merchant,just breath the stuff 🙂 well we just had to go back and re do it again,and again.one of the guys took some photos of us doing the hump/take off part (will add them at the end) once we had had our enjoyment of this,we continued on to a road that wended its way up for what seemed like ages (had to walk it).we stopped off at the top and had some sustenance (jelly babies for me).we then joined a trail that was quite intense/fun to ride).every so often we’d have to go through gate/over style.the trail came out at a farm by the main road to beckhampton/devizes.we crossed road and made our way back towards roundway hill (have shortened the story/thank god i hear you say!) at roundway hill we rode in the wooded section that eventually descended steeply down to road (sells green/roundway) where two guys turned back to chippenham.the other guy and me then continued back to devizes again PHEW! total distance 26.41 miles time taken 3.29.49 av speed 7.5 mph top speed 36.1 mph. was a fantastic day riding with some great guys (thanks for inviting/waiting for me 😀 now for the pics (p.s i am the unkempt hobo on the anthem x2/have never liked seeing myself in pictures 😳

Looks like a good day out with friends on bikes and nice scenery.
    Just keep enjoying the riding and the distance and average speed will increase anyway, whether you want it to or not. 😉

duntstick
    Free Member

Thanks RFec90, feel inspired after reading that. Time to get off my lazy fat arse, and shake off the winter blues. Longest spell I’ve ever had off the bike. You will lose if you try to play conkers with that lump of wood and your head….. 😆 (pic 8 )

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

That looked like a fun ride! And you’ve inspired me… I was going to drive the 8 mile round trip to pick something up from the post office but I will ride!

jedi

awesome write up. 🙂

racefaceec90

thanks everyone for the kind comments.inspired someone (well i’ve never done that before 😳 :-)since going out yesterday i have realized just how much i need to ride my bike (for sanity’s sake/finding peace riding in the wilderness) i am just realizing how much the dreaded depression has taken away.have literally sat in my room for months not doing anything/tv on but not registering it) i really used to ride all the time when i was younger (and loving every second of it 😀 it definitely takes effort to get out of the house,but man is it worth it. i seriously would rather be out in the wilderness knackered/than spending another moment stuck in my room dying on the inside (sorry to sound melodramatic,but it really does feel like that) .am going to start riding every third day (and sticking to it this time!) i wish anyone who is in a similar situation all my best wishes with beating the illness/getting your motivation back (i know it sounds corny,but if i can do it,you definitely can 😀 p.s to duntstick and becky_kirk43 let us know how your ride was like?

Having friends to ride with is the best motivation you can get, knowing that they will be at the meeting place wondering where you’ve got to can be the difference between going out and staying at home.
    Next best is to keep a log.
    Get on the STW Endomondo challenge.
    Don’t worry about how far down you are to start with, that just makes it easier to move up a few places next month. 😉

cinnamon_girl

Good stuff raceface. 😀 Nice pics and is that the Wansdyke I can spot you riding on? Gorgeous Wiltshire big sky views and looks like a good crowd you were with.

You’re obviously buzzing from it so good result! Look forward to another report next week. 🙂

racefaceec90

you are correct cinnamon_girl (i think that it was the same route we all took on the pewsey ride).have to adjust the route guide that i described (the wooded section that we were doing the jumps on was actually near the cherhill monument/not near wandsdyke as i wrote 😳 my directions/describing them are atrocious).the guys i was riding with were very kind/patient to my lack of fitness (would definitely recommend to anyone who wanted to ride wilts to check their web site http://www.settingascene.com/ i am planning on cycling to westbury white horse (as i originally planned) via salisbuy plain on wednesday. anyone is welcome to tag along if they are in the area. 🙂 p.s i have just given my bike a well deserved clean

Conespanner

Hi racefaceec90,

Good to see you going for it! I agree it’s very hard to get going once you’ve stopped, motivation appears to drain with your fitness. I’ve been riding again for 4 weeks following a long lay off which equates for about 15 months off in the last 18 months. Your distance of 20+ miles and average speed of nearly 8mph is pretty impressive, I’ve managed only 12 miles at 6mph!!

Joining others really helps as I found out yesterday as I joined the swinley ride in CG slow group. If you want a spin around the test valley (Andover)for a change of scene, drop us a mail

martinxyz
    Free Member

Raceface,if you ever feel depressed and possibly falling back in the wrong direction.. just look up this thread and take a look at that ridge you descended down! Not many folk get to ride stuff like that.

racefaceec90

thanks again for all the kind words,much appreciated :-)Conespanner thanks for the invite (would definitely be interested in riding with you at andover sometime/never ridden there before 😀 if you are ever around devizes and want to ride my e mail is adamibanezcunningham@hotmail.co.uk believe me i am not a fast rider (was really struggling trying to keep up with the others (was walking a lot of the time/my legs felt like lead) 12 miles is no mean feat,you definitely have some fitness.the way i see it is that there are people who will drive to their own corner shop rather than ride/walk.i feel sorry for them (don’t mean to sound patronising) that they do not know what they are missing. riding a mountain bike is one of the best things in the world as far as i am concerned.you meet some great people/see some of this beautiful country/see wildlife that you wouldn’t have seen any other way.it definitely makes you feel alive 😀

racefaceec90

well,have just returned from ride today.what glorious weather it was 😀 i cycled where i planned to originally.cycled from devizes to westbury white horse via red horn hill/salisbury plain.the good thing is that i know a farm track near to roundway hospital that misses the main devizes/andover road. it comes out near potterne,then a road goes to main road at urchfont.when you get to red horn hill it definitely tests your legs! salisbury plain itself is a great place to mountain bike (when the mod aren’t doing live firing e.t.c) you can follow the track to the main lavington/salisbury road.you then cross the road and follow the side road right.it then rises and the views are stunning (will try and find some google pics/no camera unfortunately) at the white horse i stopped and had some raspberry fruit/grain bars (morrisons pack of 8,can highly reccommend them) from there there is a great road descent to main road (one time at race camp i had just descended the hill,and had just crossed the road,when i heard a car beeping me.the guy leant out of his window and said that he had clocked me doing 52 m.p.h. (i cannot confirm this though as i didn’t have a computer on my f800)was well chuffed though 😀 i then followed a road (after crossing right then left at the cross road) to steeple ashton,and then to the main semmington/trowbridge road.i then turned towards semmington and then melksham,where i visited the bike shop and bought some cheese/onion pasties.i then returned back to semmington and joined k & a canal back home. at the caen hill locks though i had to walk up as i was knackered! but overall a great ride (well anytime i get off my arse and ride is great in my book 😀 westbury white horse total distance 43.05 miles time 3.55.01 av speed 10.9 m.p.h top speed 34.4 m.p.h .oh i forgot to add that in a moment of madness/stupidity i have signed up to do this http://www.erlestoketwelve.com/ am going to attempt the team 12 hour event (slowest riders catergory 😯 😀 so i have even more reason to get out and ride. also 6 days before the event am going to see rush at the n.e.c “time machine world tour”. it’s gonna be one hell of a week 😀

If you can average 10+mph for 4 hours on a mountain bike, even if some of it’s on the road, you’ll have no problem at the Erlestoke 12 in a team.
    Have you got lights ?

racefaceec90

well i have just got back from another ride.and it was probably one of the best rides i have ever done 😀 (hopefully after i have finished jibber jabbering you might understand/if anyone’s still reading by the end 😆 i left at 4pm to do a route that i have done quite a few times (just to try and get some base distance in my legs for erlstoke 12/just to get out on bike) will describe route for anyone who might want to do it themselves.i live near the police hq so i started on the canal heading to bishops cannings.when you are almost there you cross a swing bridge to a camping site.continue on road till gate,then continue to t junction (by school).there you turn right and keep riding to easton farm.you then turn up the farm track and climb for about 3/4 mile.keep following track (do not turn off) and you eventually come to a farm near beckhampton roundabout.continue up a small hill then turn left at top.keep going then turn left down a small hill.when you reach the first turn right (through a gate) go there and eventually you come out on a trail (by a cow shed).turn left and you eventually come out at the small village (right by the roundabout).then continue on road to avebury.when you get there (by red lion pub) cross road onto a road/farm track.this will eventually come out at a t junction (the ridgeway itself).there is a signpost here by a gate.go through gate and keep going until you get to some more gates (this is marlbrough downs by the way).you then cross a horse racing/training track and through another gate.a nice descent follows,then you climb.keep following the track and eventually you will come to road leading to marlbrough (you come out by a stable).turn left and follow main road until rockley.then climb the track and follow trail (still on marlbrough downs) eventually the track will take you to banbury castle (i will add some google pics,so you can see some of the places)cycle over the remenants of banbury castle,then you descend down a short/steepish descent to a gate.you then cross main road turn right then left back onto the ridgeway.continue on the ridgeway crossing another main road.eventually you will come back to the signpost at the avebury junction.return back the way you came (PHEW!) this is the gate (near to avebury) that i mentioned. some of the avebury stones fyfield downs/marlbrough downs barbury castle (think i went a bit over the top with the descriptions sorry 😳 total time 3.12.11 total distance 34.12 average speed 10.6 m.p.h max speed 29.5 m.p.h was really chuffed with the ride (i managed 26.86 miles before stopping for a chocolate bar) now the reason why this was one of my favourite rides ever (please bear with me) i saw all of these today 15 of these 8 females 5 of these buzzard 3 of these kestrel 2 of these roe deer 1 of these red fox 5 of these hares. 1 of these gill scott heron. and numerous bunnies,crows, and to finish lots of these ahhh all in all one of the best rides ever 😀 sorry to have droned on,but i am buzzing !

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Looks stunning. Real nice day for getting out and about. Great for mind body and soul. Innit.!

cinnamon_girl

Hey raceface! I reckon you’re inspiring lots of us with your write-ups and pics. 🙂 Huge amount of wildlife that you spotted too.

Last week I was in Wiltshire on business so threw bike in car and stopped off at Avebury. Rode over to Beckhampton to pick up the Wansdyke then Cherhill followed by Windmill Hill. Really enjoyed those big skies, was pretty exposed and a little chilly.

Get quite a buzz from seeing so much history. 8)

Will look forward to your next ride report!

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

I have been away from my bike for a variety of (not very good) reasons and have been building up to getting out again. The longer you leave it, the harder it is. Tomorrow was going to be a possible start. Now it definitely will be having read this.

Just a wee pootle about – get used to how it feels again, but want to get back in the saddle.

CHEERS!
    😀

cinnamon_girl

Way to go Nickquinn. 🙂

No pressure, just enjoy the fresh air and sun. 8)

spacemonkey

Cracking pics and commentary raceface 🙂

riding a mountain bike is one of the best things in the world as far as i am concerned.you meet some great people/see some of this beautiful country/see wildlife that you wouldn’t have seen any other way.it definitely makes you feel alive

^^^^
    THIS

racefaceec90

thanks cinnamon girl :-)i just love seeing wildlife/being out in the wilderness (it just feels great) Nickquinn293 that’s fantastic that you are going to ride your bike 😀 i cannot stress how much better i feel since starting riding again.the reason i have done this thread is that the depression has stopped me having a life/taken away motivation for doing the things that i love,and i wanted to do a record of beating it (trying to get some fitness back).also anyone who was interested could read it. have had some great support on this forum (with advice about dealing with depression e.t.c)thanks everybody for the kind words and support (is much appreciated) 😀 Nickquinn293 let us know how you get on with your bike ride 😀

bassspine
    Free Member

The reports get better and better to read, and the photos are fab.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘am fed up of not riding my bike,so am going to do something about it.’ is closed to new replies.