Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Aluminium post, carbon frame – stuck fast :(
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Road bike has been woefully unused since starting work in August so it’s perhaps not surprising it wasn’t moving. Tried some gt85, brute force and cooling the post. Worth trying coke before heading to lbs? When I worked in a bike shop it was the vice that was used. Not sure if cutting it out might be better?

jkomo

I beleive you need to visit Sheldon Brown.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Yeah have done. Wanted to know if anyone on here has had any joy with coke although I’ll probably try it anyway!

soobalias
    Free Member

feel your pain, ive an ally post in an ally frame.

spent a large part of the afternoon with a hacksaw blade………

cchris2lou

gt85 is not thin enough .

you need to get some plusgas or similar . and spray it from the top and also from underneath through bottom bracket .

old saddle in the post and wedge a long poll through the rails , will give you more leverage .

jonjones13
    Free Member

Had the same problem a while back. What you need to do is put seatpost in a vice and rotate frame around seatpost rather than the other way round – you can get much more torque using the frame… Worked a charm for me

fontmoss
    Free Member

Yeah in the shop we used the vice like that. I’d like to give it a fighting chance before we revert to that though

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium post, carbon frame – stuck fast :(’ is closed to new replies.