Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Aluminium frames and bunnyhopping…
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

am I being a bit fick? Why is everyone feedlng mr-alloy-useless-for-all-but-shopping-bikes ??

wwaswas

It's a slow day is my excuse.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

This thread delivers. Thanks davidtaylforth!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cookeaa

The problem with alot of people on here is they are too 'closed minded' to alot of the new emerging riding styles, they are still stuck in the 90's where xc involved traipsing round a muddy field.

Open your minds people, for the good of our sport

Bit of an assumption there, are you that sure you know the riding histories and preferences of all the posters on here that well?

I’m sure that STW has more than a few people who’ve spent some time twatting bikes into the ground…

You seem to be one for sweeping generalisations from what I can tell…

As for “emerging riding styles” what exactly is there that we haven’t heard of/seen? Bear in mind we’re all into bike and all connected to the interweb so the odds are that us “closed minds” are fully up to speed with what you
    Rad^(Gnarr) Bike Radar bitches consider “progressive”…

Admiralable
    Free Member

"if it goes ping, it won't ding"

Well thats crap. You need to look at the Titanium Van Nicholas I had last year or even the Steel Kona I still have in the shed. They both have dings. Oh and guess what the both go ping! But having said that so does my Aluminium Scale frame and my Aluminium FULL SUSPENSION Yeti

Of course if Mondraker don't know how to make a bike then neither do Yeti or Scott. And heavens forbid if Giant and Specialized knew how to make Aluminum bikes. Then there's Pace who's company was made from Aluminium bikes along with their Carbon forks which is just as likely to fail I reckon.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Admiralable
    Free Member

stuff the kittens!

The guy's an idiotic nobber

bigyinn
    Free Member

No hes not a nobber, I admire him for managing to get so many people frothing at the gash over his comments!

xiphon
    Free Member

His dry sense of humour is obviously winding a few people up!

Keep feeding the troll, it's entertaining 😉

philjunior
    Free Member

LOL @ the troll. Can't believe anyone's feeding him.

warton
    Free Member

I had an alloy Marin Indian Fire Trail that I raced DH on in the good old days. it never snapped…

warton
    Free Member

whats the difference between xxc and xxxc?

clubber
    Free Member

2 points on the gnarr scale

clubber
    Free Member

Fwiw, steel should never be used for anything other than jeyboy xc bikes. It's too flexy and springy which leads to recoil feedback when hammering down trails properly. And it'll snap if it recoils beyond its fatiwue
    limit.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Back to the original problem – probably the mech hitting the chainstay/dropout area, two of my alloy hardtails do it.

_tom_
    Free Member

steel should never be used for anything other than jeyboy xc bikes

Most bmx'es are made out of steel..

My mtb's also made from steel and is great for jumping on as well as xc, downhill etc.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

clubber
    Free Member

Tom you're wrong. The frames you see are team ones that are made from Ti but they pretend to be steel so they can sell them to stupid punters. It's just another conspiracy that people fall for.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

made from Ti but they pretend to be steel so they can sell them to stupid punters. It's just another conspiracy that people fall for.

SUCKER!!

That 'Ti' is just rebadged 853; there's no such thing really and it's all a clever marketing ploy aimed at the same people who buy Apple stuff.

clubber
    Free Member

Idiot. You've fallen for it. Bet you ride steel 🙄

tony24
    Free Member

i just been out bunny hopping a carbon frame 😈

clubber
    Free Member

Carbon fibre barbs to the heart when it fractures…

poppa
    Free Member

frothing at the gash

I don't know what you think that means, but i'm pretty sure it's not the same as what I think it means.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Bet you ride steel

Hey amigo, i steel ride. I steel ride alla the time.

DT78
    Free Member

What on earth has my thread morphed into????

*turns out it was the mech – can't seem to fix it so just put some neoprene down there….

First proper ride this evening. Did a few drops and didn't die. Must be lucky it didn't snap in half 🙂

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

sorry to be pedantic but:

aluminium frame = alloy
    steel frame = alloy
    titanium frame = alloy

they are all alloys so please please please don't just use alloy for aluminium frames, because you are completely wrong.

clubber
    Free Member

No, you're wrong. alloy is fine to use for aluminium frames as that's what they are. Just like calling all tyres rubber is right even though they're made of different rubbers. Not very descriptive though. That said any numpty knows that in bike terminology that "alloy" means aluminium.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

turns out it was the mech – can't seem to fix it so just put some neoprene down there..

"Where oh where can I find an elastomer to cut up for a mech bump stop…" That is the price of progress

The only bike that categorically cannot be broken by bunny hopping is a Brooklyn Race link, 4130 full sus FTW. Only Chuck Norris can bunnyhop a race link, and he doesn't like to show off..

bigyinn
    Free Member

poppa – Member

frothing at the gash

I don't know what you think that means, but i'm pretty sure it's not the same as what I think it means.
    No it means exactly what you think it does…… 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Surely an aluminium alloy frame will be fine for bunnyhopping if you have tubeless tyres, an iPhone GPS, 10 speed gears and a long stem. And it's been built by Halfords.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    No, you're wrong. alloy is fine to use for aluminium frames as that's what they are. Just like calling all tyres rubber is right even though they're made of different rubbers. Not very descriptive though. That said any numpty knows that in bike terminology that "alloy" means aluminium.

I think you mean Alli pronounced Alley.

An alloy is a partial or complete solid solution of one or more elements in a metallic matrix.

Therefore, Al, steel and Ti are all alloys.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I just pissed myself laughin at this thread.

Clubber i can see your point that yes people do refere to aluminium frames as "Alloy" but thats because they don't understand the term.

The numbers in 6061 and 7075 (Aluminium) and 4130, DN6 853 etc (steel) indicate what the tubes are made of. This is because pure Steel, Aluminium and Titanium are generally unsuitable for frame building so they have to be mixed with another metal to be more effective, Hense Alloy.

I'm sure someone will be able to do a better job of saying all that.

wwaswas

This thread is an unalloyed delight.

juan
    Free Member

wwaswas in the naughty corner now…

clubber
    Free Member

Jeez what's stw coming to? I obviously troll back against some obvious trolling and get taken seriously! Dunce's corner for you!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I love the "oh i was actually trolling" defence

😉

clubber
    Free Member

And I love the "I knew all along defence"

right back atcha 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What about bamboo bikes, are they safe for bunnhopping? 9or should that be panda bouncing?)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I'm quite happy to say I thought you where serious.

wwaswas

What about bamboo bikes

the answer is in the words of this song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQgXccbxHbM

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium frames and bunnyhopping…’ is closed to new replies.