Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Aluminium frame repairs – Leeds
  • snownrock

Anyone know of any? My Boardman cx has cracked at the seat post/top tube joint

ajantom

Aluminium often needs heat treating after welding, so once you figure in that, and probably a respray, then you’re probably better off looking for a replacement frame. Look at it as a message from the cycling gods that an upgrade is allowed 😉

snownrock

An upgrade was already planned but I can’t get my ctw voucher until january. I was hoping for a cheapish interim fix but that may be unachievable

taxi25
    Free Member

If your not concerned about painting after welding, it might be worth a go for a short term fix.

isitafox
    Free Member

Carbon wrap? I know someone over that way who used to do repairs and may be able to help you out?

jimbobo
    Free Member

Or, you could take the opportunity to purchase a lovely vintage Peugeot frame from me, right here in sunny Leeds!

snownrock

@isitafox any details would be appreciated

parkesie
    Free Member

Deffinately the frame cracked and not the smooth weld filler job they did on some models?

isitafox
    Free Member

@snownrock email sent!

dovebiker

Aluminium frame weld repairs are pretty tricky due to heat-effects from welding making the surrounding metal brittle – heat treatments required to normalise and temper.

Easy Composites Repair Kit might be a good place to start:

Depends on where the crack is: Rub back to bare-metal, use kit as instructed – a couple of overlapping ‘bandages’ at right-angles to each other, apply release film and wrap-tightly to compress the resin / remove voids and leave to cure. It’ll look rough -can be smoothed down

snownrock

@parkesie, definitely the frame broken. The seat post moves backwards and forwards whilst fully tightened into the frame. A visible crack is present.

I’ll have a look at the composite kit, thanks.

carlosg
    Free Member

I had a disc mount welded to an ally GT I-drive frame years ago by
    CHRIS MARSHALL CYCLES
    UNIT.1, CORNMILL GARAGE, HALIFAX RD, INGROW BRIDGE, KEIGHLEY, YORKS., BD21 5AX
    01535 691073
    (sorry for lazy cut n paste)

never had a problem with it.

snownrock

Thanks Carlosg, I’ll give them a whirl

damascus
    Free Member

Roughly how much is heat treatment after the weld?

mickmcd
    Free Member

Roughly how much is heat treatment after the weld?

About 300 quid regardless of wether its a 1 off or 20 we use the same place orange used to.

Does it say 7000 series on the frame thats an easier repair as it will age itself to some degree either way we weld these things together if they are 6000 or 7000 but if its an unknown an a cheapish frame then it might just be as cost effective to skip it and find one on ebay.

lots of unknown aluminium and titanium things get welded here, a lot of them are cast weird casings from rally cars and off road trucks ,and to be honest they hold up to some pretty heavy abuse after i fix them, way more than i would think they would take

frankconway

I don’t have an answer but know a man who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Andy Wood – cytech level 3 mechanic – aka The Bike Doctor Leeds; if he doesn’t know someone in the area then you’re probably stuffed.

You can find him on the interweb; best to call his mobile, it’s shown on the website.

frankconway

Further thought – Dave Yates, one of the stalwarts of UK frame building; he’s somewhere in Lincolnshire and has a basic website.
    Why not contact Chris Boardman the person direct or Boardman Bikes the business?

alexpalacefan

Vernon Barker in Dronfield (nr Sheffield) did an alu bike of mine.
    No heat treatment and still going years later.

APF

mccraque

Ah….the old Boardman crack at seat/top tube.

I’ve broken two of them in the exact spot (Pro HT).

PolisherMan

+1 for Vernon Barker. No problems at all….and proper old school bloke! 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium frame repairs – Leeds’ is closed to new replies.