Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Aluminium frame anodizing – possible? expensive?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Just curious like… anyone know much about it, or had it done?

mrmo
    Free Member

i wouldn’t bother, it can be done, but to get a good finish is a different prospect to being able to do it.

Hicksy
    Free Member

If I remember right, you can’t if it’s got any steel inserts (bottle bosses/cable guides) as the process erodes them. Or sumink. We had one done for a customer “back in the day” and it looked bobbins IMHO.

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Possible: Yes
    Expensive: Yes

el_diablo
    Free Member

I’d enquired a few years back when I bough my Five, I found a company over Burnley way who’d do it satin black for just £30, if I gave them a naked frame.

Orange said they’d supply me the bike bare and in pices, but would invalidate the warranty, so I didn’t bother, but now it’s out of warranty, I’m thinking about it again.

neilforrow

http://www.smbplating.co.uk/

yep, and cheep’ too. £30-60 depending on the prep time.

i would go for the ‘Decorative Silver Plating’ look… 8)

psychle
    Free Member

Was just thinking a matte black finish to a bare aluminium frame I have (the Szazbo)… would it affect the metal at all?

el_diablo
    Free Member

Orange told me it might shrink, which is why they’d invalidate the warranty.

mooman
    Free Member

I have anodized one of mine, and a friends alu frame.
    Sand-blasted the old paintwork off and stripped frame of any bolts etc

Put a 25micron on it … superb finish.

Preperation is the key. if it looks rough before anodizing .. it `ll look just as rough after. Sand-blasting gets a good uniform base to start if your putting a coloured ano on it.

If your after a gold or silver ano finish .. it`ll need polishing to a brilliant standard first.

mooman
    Free Member

shrink??

Only if you `ve left it too long in the etch first

shredder
    Free Member

Have just sent some components off for anodising to Steve. Superb communiction by email from him and great prices.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium frame anodizing – possible? expensive?’ is closed to new replies.