Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Alu vs Ti
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I’d just avoid road bikes as they’re shite and ridden by knobs.

But if I actually HAD to, I’d go for Ti and stick some flat bars on it.

clubber
    Free Member

Interesting, Loddrik. Irony, no 🙂

cheers_drive

Can you paint Ti ?
    Have a look at Enigma, they have some very nice part painted Ti finishes.
    Here my dream(come true) bike Rourke 953

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    loddrik
    Free Member

Please don’t paint Ti, it’s just wrong.

roverpig

Please don’t paint Ti, it’s just wrong.

In that case I’ll have to give Ti a miss. Life is too short to ride a grey bike 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Get a cockring instead, if you must be flamboyant…

rewski
    Free Member

I’d go for Ti and stick some flat bars on it.

I was thinking the same, Kinesis Granfondo Ti with Strut carbon flats, like a Ti Roadrat.

Gunz
    Free Member

No frame will last a ‘lifetime’, you’ve only to go back 10 years and look at the standards/angles that were ‘trendy’.

Guess I’ll have to chuck my daily ride ’98 Hei Hei in the bin and here was me riding it all the time and enjoying it, what a newb.

I’d always go for Ti and I regularly buy a new bike every 18 years or so.

loddrik
    Free Member

I regularly buy a new bike every 18 years or so.

😆

aracer
    Free Member

That is so true – I mean they hardly sell any more and the prices are so low. No one wants them.[/quote]

kerching 🙂

Not least because the anecdotal evidence suggests that a ti bike is actually more likely to break than a carbon one, based on the reports of breakages relative to the numbers in use. Of course the luddites will still go on about how you they wouldn’t use a carbon bike because it wouldn’t cope with impact (despite the lab tests showing that the impact required to break a carbon tube would demolish a typical thin walled steel/ti tube) or that it’s impossible to repair one. Yes I’ll admit I’m a carbon fan, but I’m not actually arguing about the merits of one material over another, simply shooting down the false claims – I’ve had carbon frames on my main MTB for years now and yet to break one due to rock strike etc., despite bouncing big enough rocks off the downtube to visibly bruise my feet when they’ve gone on to hit them.

jameso

The whole Ti bike for life thing is so unlikely to be realised. If you’ve spent that much on something high end, eventually you’re going to want something more current, and that’s assuming it hasn’t broken or become too outdated to find components.

I’ve had a few ti bikes and I’d agree with that. But there are ti (or any other material) bikes that are either unique enough to be real keepers, or just bikes that ride well for you and just don’t need updating – a good road bike with 1 1/8 front end, threaded BB and reasonable angles, maybe enough room for 28C or a set of slim guards at a sqeeze, etc. Very few MTBs make the keeper-list for me but road/tour types can quite often.

If I had a few grand for a custom now it’d be steel, no question. More choice in tubes, builders and detail than Ti. More durable and more potential to replace tubes if it’s brazed. Ride quality is comparable, better in some ways but a little bit heavier. Not much though when you look at ti frames that aren’t noodles. A real ‘bike for life’ is rarely if ever an all-out performance bike, more of a cover-a-few-bases job, so a bit of weight shouldn’t really be an issue anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Alu vs Ti’ is closed to new replies.