Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Alu or steel Hope freehub?
  • wukfit
    Free Member

I need to get a shimano freehub for my pro2 evo hub, and am unsure whether to go steel or alu?
    I’m guessing steel won’t get gauged as badly (use xt cassettes), but apart from weight is there a downside like corrosion between dissimilar metals?
    Has anyone seen any good deals around?
    Cheers

Davesport

I’ve got a couple of the steel Hope hubs and a couple of Hope alloy hubs on the go. I’ve never witnessed galvanic corrosion between a cassette and hub. I use one of the steel hubs on my Pugsley which gets used on the beach a fair bit. The grooves are more of an annoyance than anything else and make getting the cassette off problematic. I don’t know what others do but I simply file mine down flat and forget about them. The grooves in the freehub body aren’t an issue when using the steel freehub. I only changed to steel on the Pug as the alloy one cracked. Dunno what the going rate for one of these is.

mattyfez

Couldn’t say but I’m coping fine with my alu freehub. It’s developed notches where the cassettes dug in, that’s pretty much guaranteed but i grease it when I remove the cassette to discourage it jamming on.

But I suppose you could equally use a good water resistant grease on a steel one to prevent corrosion.

So I’ve not particularly felt I need a steel one, but interested in what owners of the steel ones think.

My Lbs very lightly filed the edges of the splines on mine, he said it helps prevent the cassette jamming onto the freehub, so far so good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    montgomery
    Free Member

My steel freehub is 10+ years old. No corrosion. I destroyed the original aluminium one in short order, as I recall.

mattyfez

Destroyed how? Genuinely curious..

goss
    Free Member

One thing in the jamming when getting it on/off but if the grooves get long enough the loose cogs can move around resulting in terrible noise and in the end it’ll rip it through. I’ve seen it both on DT Swiss and Hope alloy.
    The steel will solve this 8/10 times.

mattyfez

So use an alu one until it gets too bad and then put a new alu or steel one on? That’s basically my plan, what’s the cost and weight difference between the steel and alu? I’m not sure.

My alu one seems to be ok and it’s done a lot of miles.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Alu or steel Hope freehub?’ is closed to new replies.