Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • alu frame welding aviemore/inverness
  • willv

Nephew has cracked seatstay on his bike and we have a week of hols left. Anyone know anywhere we could try for a repair ?
    Bothy bikes didn’t know

andysredmini
    Free Member

Just be careful as welding can affect the frames heat treating making it weaker locally. I looked at getting an anthem frame fixed but gave up as the walls are wafer thin where the crack was and it was right next to a weld.
    It’s certainly possible to fix them though if someone knows what they are doing. I believe the correct way is re heat treating after welding but this can be expensive and you may have alignment issues due to the heat distorting the frame.
    I have a mate who always buys cracked frames and gets them bodge welded. Sometimes they last other times they fail. He just buys another for much cheapness and repeats.

dovebiker

Thin-walled tubing is easy to blow-holes and many aluminium alloy frames are heat treated – heat from welding changes metallurgical properties which means it’s not ideal.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fwiw – if bothy didnt know if it existed in the local area – it probably doesnt exist. – pretty sure Gordy would give it a good shot though 😀

Hire a bike from bothy for the remainder of the trip ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘alu frame welding aviemore/inverness’ is closed to new replies.