Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Altura trail – lakes. Worth it?
  • Jezkidd
    Free Member

Was planning to do this in a couple of weeks however seeing the negative reviews in the thread about grizedale forest I wondered if I should think again. What does the forum think?

failedengineer

Is this the Whinlatter one? – I think it’s OK, although basically the two red routes are one climb and one (albeit quite good)descent each. The blue is dead easy, but nice and swoopy in parts. Good cafe. All IMHO of course and before anyone else says it – the Lakes is full of good natural stuff.

jamescoulson
    Free Member

Loved it! As trail centres go it’s downright good fun. Some nice techy climbing through slippy roots and off camber single track and some descents that will be guaranteed to put a grin on your face. Not ridden Grizey to compare though…

failedengineer

I should have said that it is loads better than Grizedale (best used as part of a longer route) and also that the views are fab too. You can park in Thornthwaite and ride up a lovely little bridleway right up to the trailhead. It makes a good finish too, and you can reach it by doing the first swoopy bit of blue route when you’ve finished both reds. Give it a go!

keswiki
    Free Member

Yes its worth the trip, as said above some good challenging climbs. The downs are just as good and views fantastic. Not to far from keswick so you can ride to it if your a glutton for punishment

bammy
    Free Member

IMO too short, for a long car journey, I live in Manchester. I would rather go to Wales.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

It is good, but there’s better “natural” (and well-documented) riding in the vicinity.

swoosh
    Free Member

I heard the parking at Whinlatter is quite expensive – is that true? Or should we do what ‘failedengineer’ suggests and park in Thornthwaite?

chakaping
    Free Member

I like doing it as a warm-up or wind-down ride before/after a visit to my friends in the Lakes, and it helps that it’s en route.

Certainly worth travelling and making a weekend of it with some natural riding too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Whinlatter is pretty good, definitely more skills required than TNF, so don’t be put off by the other thread. It’s quite short, so best done in conjunction with another ride. One of the best Lakes days out I’ve had was the bogtrotters version of Borrowdale Bash followed by cafe and then Whinlatter.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s good but as said above too short… I did it on Friday in 1hr 20mins, but had to be in the area anyway so wasn’t an issue.

failedengineer

The main reason for parking at Thornthwaite is for the extra ‘natural’ bridleway, not to save money on the car park (although there’s nowt wrong with that, of course ;-))

It’ll take longer than 1hr 20 to do both reds and the blue, surely?

grum
    Free Member

It’s good, I’ve been a bit too often now – but it’s very enjoyable imo, and the blue is great fun for a warmup. The extra BW to Thornthwaite is well worth doing as well

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’ll take longer than 1hr 20 to do both reds and the blue, surely?

True I didn’t bother with the blue on Friday as I was tired from a week of riding… probably another 20 mins for that.

failedengineer

Crikey, you must’ve been wearing your fast trousers. I reckon 2 hrs for mere mortals, plus 30-40 mins for the blue.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not really… it’s only averaging 9 mph.

toons
    Free Member

Yes this is sooooooooooo much fun

Whinlatter final descent north loop by james_ferguson, on Flickr

grum
    Free Member

I’m not very fit by any means, and I would say for me each red loop takes about 45 mins (maybe slightly less for the S loop), then another 25 ish for the blue.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

i didn’t think much of it to be honest, pale imitation of Glentress and Inners. i thought some bits were poorly designed although i did like the climb on the north loop, great views. i can’t remember anything about the other red loop which kinda sums it up. thought the blue was good, took the family round that. no need for trail centres in the lakes really but if you are visiting the area and want some map free riding then it does the job.

Lucas
    Free Member

We’re regularly in Keswick and I reckon it’s great, one of the more natural feeling trail centres I’d say. I tend to use it for a quick spin the in morning with the Dog (6-7am never seen anyone else there at that time) or as a Sunday morning ride after a big Saturday ride. I think cycling from Keswick, up the bridleway round all 3 loops and back down the bridleway is about 20 miles with a fair bit of climbing.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Altura trail – lakes. Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.