Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Altura Nightvision Jacket – Hot stuff!
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

Hi all,

I had a cheap cycling jacket that made me sweat buckets and didn’t breath. I then bought a better quality jacket that is both waterproof and breathable.

The Alutra Nightvision.

My problem is that even with just a short sleeve jersey under it, it gets damp underneath because it’s not breathing as well as I thought. All zips are open etc.

Am I expecting too much? Can anyone recommend a top to go under and work? Obviously it needs to wick sweat well and then the jacket should do it’s stuff…

Lastly, I have many mountain jackets that have not had this problem but they’ve all been £200+ Gortex offerings… Again, am I asking to much??? 🙁

sambob
    Free Member

Try an Event jacket, general consensus is that they’re a fair bit more breathable than goretex.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Have the mountain jackets you’ve had been used for riding or for other things?

To be honest even the best fancy and most expensive jacket will struggle to shift the sheer amount of sweat created during a decent ride. I’ve tried all sorts, got sweaty in everything.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Andy_K

Given up on waterproof jackets. Keeping the wind off and quick drying is the key.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Altura Night Visions are made for commuters, ie people who maybe don’t go that fast to get that sweaty, so not very breathable – but boy are they visible at night 😀
    I’ve had two of the Night Vision Evo jackets – nicer feeling fabric, but didn’t last very long – lost their waterproof-ness despite washing with Techwash and reproofing. Got a Gore Paclite now – will see how long that lasts!

alpin
    Free Member

i find i sweat like crazy when biking proper no matter what jacket i’m wearing.

i can wear my Gore thing to work if i take it easy, but even then i arrive feeling a bit clamy.

shortcut

Accept you are going to be damp.

Personally I run with softshells which keep me warm but generally moist which is fine. I end up damp in the summer is a shortsleeve jersey why would I expect to be drier in a breathable waterproof! Money doesn’t make miracles in this area!

transapp
    Free Member

As above, the night vision isn’t a highly breathable jacket, In the Altura range thats the Attack. That works as well as any jacket I’ve ever used, but you’ll still get a sweat buildup when you push hard.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Damn, I always push hard no matter when I ride! my mountain jackets that I mentioned before are used for climbing and hiking/camping. I suppose that this is not as strenuous as riding but didn’t think of it…

Thanks for all the replies but one more question… Do you all feel ripped off like me? You bought a breathable and waterproof jacket that lets you get damp with your own moisture!

Damn marketing hype… 🙄

flap_jack
    Free Member

Yep. Worn my night-vision once. Boil in the bag horror.

robsoctane
    Free Member

@Andy_K: what are you wearing for a jacket now? Any recommendations? Same to flap_jack?

shortcut

Don’t feel ripped off. Got used to it now. As I said before, if I get damp in shorts and a jersey why would I be dry in a waterproof coat? No matter how much I spend unless there is an in built airconditioner and a nymph with a towel I will be damp!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Altura Nightvision Jacket – Hot stuff!’ is closed to new replies.