Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Alternator gone… how much will that cost me?
  • Harry_the_Spider

The alternator failed on The Mighty Vectra whilst on the M61 this evening robbing me of my heater, de-mister, ABS, air bag and eventually power steering.

Dropped it off at the local Bosch service centre for repair in the morning.

Should I be bracing myself for a massive bill?

br
    Free Member

Depends on your definition of ‘massive’?

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks.

andrewh
    Free Member

Had a reconditioned one put in a 1998 deisel Mondeo about 3 years ago. That cost me £200, parts and labour.

nealglover
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be more than a couple of hundred (max!)

About an hours labour to replace.

So depends on how much the part costs, probably around £120 ??

I got mine reconditioned for £60 and fitted it myself

took me a total of 2 hours to take it off, and replace it once reconditioned, but it was the first time I had ever done it, and I’m not a mechanic.

footflaps

New one for my V6 Golf was something like £600 all in.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Astra recently cost almost three hundred.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Alternator will be around the £150-200 mark. Labour – dunno – do it yourself.

Harry_the_Spider

Astra recently cost almost three hundred.

Urgh. Thanks for the heads up.

marvincooper

Just over 300 on a Civic at a backstreet garage recently

nealglover
    Free Member

What year and model vectra is it ?

Harry_the_Spider

54 plate 2.0 TDI

leffeboy

Misses the days when you could buy one for 30 quid and shove it in your allegro yourself 🙁

nealglover
    Free Member

54 plate 2.0 TDI

You can get reconditioned (exchange) alternators for that for about £65.

Fit yourself is easy enough, or an hours labour at the garage. So should be well less than £200.

Harry_the_Spider

Yeah, but when you had fixed it you still had an Alegro… and this is coming from a Vectra driver. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

You can get reconditioned (exchange) alternators for that for about £65.

Fit yourself is easy enough, or an hours labour at the garage. So should be well less than £200.

It is with the man from Bosch now, so I’ll get what I get. Their rates are pretty reasonable though and I’ve been using them for years.

nealglover
    Free Member

Give him a ring and ask him to fit a reconditioned unit, will be massively cheaper than a main dealer sourced part I would have thought.

Harry_the_Spider

Will do. They are calling me with the bad news in the morning.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

It cost me about 270, fitted, from Halfords last year. My alternator failed on the way to get my MOT, so had to pick the nearest garage.

Check the ampage of the current one as there are different rated alternators for Vectra CDTI/DTIs

bikebouy
    Free Member

elliott-20
    Free Member

My wife Astra alternator died on New years eve a couple of years ago. 70mph, M1 outer lane, then nothing apart from a christmas tree dashboard and a twitchy bum.

Anyway, the part cost about £200 even with Vauxhall discount (cousin an employee) and fitted it myself with my brother in law in about an hour.

argoose
    Free Member

Car breakers and self fitting cheapest option.
    24/7 parts or google vehicle dismantlers all tested and lot cheaper than vauxhall dealers

Harry_the_Spider

Car breakers and self fitting cheapest option.
    24/7 parts or google vehicle dismantlers all tested and lot cheaper than vauxhall dealers

It is with the man from Bosch now, so I’ll get what I get.

beefheart
    Free Member

A new one for my MX5 was £150.
    It shouldn’t be more than an hour’s labour to fit.

milky1980
    Free Member

Just changed one on my ’05 Fiesta, £350 was the cheapest quote 😥 All the rectifier gubbins is inside them and it’s buried in the engine. Took nearly 3 hours to do and that was by my mate who’s a damn good spanner man (does rally cars etc).

pjm84
    Free Member

£530 on an Audi A4 1.9tdi in 2007.

The alternator didn’t fail. The pully seized on my 4 year old car. Common problem.

derek_starship
    Free Member

About £31,697

konabunny
    Free Member

I had a duff recon alternator. Not saying it happens often or that I wouldn’t take the gamble again. Mechanic replaced it free.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ouch. Last one I did was on my parents old Volvo, failed the day before they traded it in. Went to the local scrappies, got one for £15. It worked at least as long as it took to get to Arnold Clarks 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Update.

It was the bracket/tensioner thingy and belt that had failed. £239.28 to replace. 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

Failed or just become too loose? I’m not entirely sure how a bracket can ‘fail’ unless it broke.

peterfile
    Free Member

My wife Astra alternator died on New years eve a couple of years ago.

Your wife had a cool name.

Sorry for your loss. 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆

Harry_the_Spider

Failed or just become too loose? I’m not entirely sure how a bracket can ‘fail’ unless it broke.

Broken.

This is the second time that one has gone. The last one went 4 years ago and did a bit more damage. 😕

sharkbait
    Free Member

The last one went 4 years ago and did a bit more damage.

I was going to add that I’d imagine a bit of damage being done by a broken bracket. Never heard of one breaking though.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Alternator gone… how much will that cost me?’ is closed to new replies.