• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Alternatives to Virgin Media.
  • Mooly
    Free Member

So at the moment the bill for our virgin media package is about £50 a month which seems way too much. This is for the TV, Phone and broadband.
    What are the best options out there at the moment to reduce this bill.
    Suggestions please.

somouk
    Free Member

What broadband and what TV package do you have?

If you have anything more than 10Mb broadband and want to keep that then you’re only real option will be to go the BT/Sky route and use their fiber broadband if it’s in your area.

If you’re happy to drop to ADSL then a sky package including their broadband could be cheaper depending on what package you go with on their sky. Won’t be much of a saving though.

Mooly
    Free Member

I think Broadband is 20mb, if not then it is certainly 10mb
    TV package is the lowest one.

Cougar

What are the best options out there at the moment to reduce this bill.

Ringing them up and saying “I’m leaving” will probably reduce your bill fairly considerably.

packer
    Free Member

Does that include “line rental” or are you still paying BT for that as well?
    If it includes it then I’d say it’s a pretty good price.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I think Broadband is 20mb, if not then it is certainly 10mb
    TV package is the lowest one.

We pay around £35-40 per month for Virgin media bundle. This includes line rental.

Basic (lowest) TV option
    Basic phone (calls only ‘free’ at weekends)
    Broadband I think 10-20mb, not sure.

We don’t watch much TV, and have mobile contracts that we use instead of the landline 99% of the time.

For us, it’s the unlimited broadband that we like – my wife spends a lot of time skype-ing her friends & family in Brazil, and watching Brazilian tv etc via YouTube and other media streaming sites.

I’ve not found anywhere else where we can get an unlimited broadband bundle for less than £40 per month.

(Now I’ve said that, someone will post up something 🙂 )

Mooly
    Free Member

Looks like Ill give them a call and say Im off then. See what they say.
    Just got a quote from Sky @ £41.50 p/m

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do Sky have a box with 3 tuners in it yet like Virgin have had for years? We tried Sky for a year and couldn’t wait to leave partly because if the recording/viewing clashes and partly because of the crappy Internet speeds.

headfirst
    Free Member

Off the top of my head, our latest Virgin bill was £57, which probably included one or two on demand films (£4 each)- haven’t looked at the details yet.

We have 20 mb broadband, XL TV (everything except sports and movies)with a V+ HD box and free calls anytime.
    We got this from calling them up a couple of months ago.

3 out of our 4 mobiles are with virgin too, as they were £5 pm cheaper than anybody else for the same package and phones, and that deal was only available to virgin media customers.

The only thing I’m not happy about is not being able to get Sky Atlantic HD!

Mooly
    Free Member

I have just spoken to virgin and they have offered to upgrade the Broadband to 30mb and drop the bill to £34.40p/m ( have been paying Between £45 -£50)
    Sounds pretty fair.

jota180
    Free Member

The broadband was probably going to get upgraded anyway for free [mines gone from 30 to 50]
    Sounds a good deal to me though all the same

ktaylor
    Free Member

I phoned Virgin in August to renegotiate. They cut my bill from £35 to £28. For £28 I receive phone (+ free weekend calls), 30 meg broadband (upgraded from 20 meg and included new wireless router) and M+ TV (was on plain M package before).

tonyd

We pay a small fortune for the Virgin XL broadband and a phone line. I’ve been meaning to change for ages but we want to move and I can’t be arsed at the moment. I can claim it through work so have little incentive to try to reduce the bill, however a colleague recently got his Virgin bill almost halved by just threatening to leave.

I think they all follow the car insurance model these days and rely on lazy feckers like me to just stay on the same plan.

wrecker
    Free Member

Do what I did; Look at their website and see what they’re offering new customers. Phone them up, tell them you want XYZ. If they refuse (they probably will) ask to be put through to the cancellation team. These are sneaky buggers and will try to get out of giving you anything. They took me through the whole process of cancellation before asking me to confirm that I wanted to cancel. They only then capitulated and gave me what I wanted. I got the XL TV package, 20mb Broadband, extra box in the bedroom (which I wasn’t worried about) and TIVO box (FOC, do not accept installation costs) for pretty much what you are paying now.
    You just have to make them think that you’ll cancel.

jota180
    Free Member

If anyone does want to cancel or have some leverage, they have just put up their base charges which means you have a way out of any contract you agreed to.

chakaping
    Free Member

We found it cheaper to have sky and virgin than take it all from virgin.

Need to have virgin for broadband as I need a fast link at home to work with.

Hate the company and everything it stands for though.

bigbloke
    Free Member

You (me too) Virgin customers wont like this then……a letter from them today announcing a £2.59 increase from Feb 2013. Bit cheesed off but they beat all local bb speeds by a large margin and the tivo box is good, plus factor in they maitain the equipment free too which elsewhere you pay a pretty penny for.

Haze

a letter from them today announcing a £2.59 increase from Feb 2013

£4.04 increase here.

I don’t mind the odd £1 here and there but when people are trying hard to reduce there outgoings then 10% is taking the piss.

Will be looking for alternatives tonight, though I suspect there won’t be a great deal of competition…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Virgin Media.’ is closed to new replies.