Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alternatives to Shimano RS81 C50 wheelset?
  • Tallpaul

Before I finally submit to scratching this itch, is there anything better value than Shimano RS81 C50 in a deep section, clincher with alloy braking surface?

Weight not hugely important (not many hills here). As long they’re sub-2000g and not more than £517.49, I’m open to alternatives (except Planet X).

Cheers,

Paul

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sod the alloy brake track; not necessary. Plus they look shite aswell. Nothing says “beginner” more than deep section wheels with an alloy brake track 😉

peaslaker
    Free Member

This beginner advises against the rs81 c50.

The braking track gives very inconsistent braking on my set that pulses strongly. Tried tuning it out with pad toe in but it doesn’t work. In any critical braking situation this is something of a liability.

mboy
    Free Member

I’m with DT here… Deep section with ally brake track is just pointless. There’s loads of half decent carbon clinchers coming in for a little more than your budget now. Stretch it a bit more and I’ve got a brand new pair of £1350 Reynolds Strikes I’m selling for £850!

fifeandy
    Free Member

If you are riding somewhere flat i don’t really think the alu brake track is any benefit. IMO its more designed for long or wet/steep descents.
    And most reviews seem to think braking is vastly improved on newer carbon rims anyway.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d go for 60mm aswell, if you can.

eshershore
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Giant hybrid (aluminium rim/carbon fibre fairing) deep sections.

Shame they are not made anymore, DT Swiss made these for Giant, 1600 gramme, DT 240 hub internals, very stiff/quick and fantastic when pushed hard, even in wet. Used to sell £1200.

The new ones use cheaper hubs/spokes and come in considerably heavier but cheaper too?

As others said, full carbon fibre wheels are relatively affordable if you shop around.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Shimano RS81 C50 wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.